“Best Sushi Ever!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Ponte Vedra Beach
“Best Sushi Ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Was not really hungry when my wife came home from work and announced that we were going out to eat. Almost bowed out, but glad I didn't because then I would not have experienced some of the best sushi I've ever had.

Nestled in a newer strip mall near the corner of Phillips Highway and Old St. Augustine Road is Mizu Sushi and Grill. It was a Sunday evening and we (my wife, my son and I) were among the few customers in the entire restaurant. This was not a good sign. However, we were greeted by our server, Lacey, a friendly young woman, who advised that we could sit anywhere in the restaurant. There is a sushi bar in front, but we decided to sit in one of the half dozen or so booths in this modest, but very clean restaurant. Lacey promptly took our drink order.

As my wife eagerly filled out the sushi order form, my son and I perused the menu, which contained mainly sushi or sashimi, with a smattering of the usual hibachi dishes, salads, soups and desserts (And yes, they do have green tea ice cream, yum!) We ordered Crazy roll, (Spicy tuna and crunch, on top of tempura shrimp with avocado), Dynamite roll (Fresh salmon, crab meat, and asparagus, deep fried) and one of my favorites, maguro (tuna). The order came quickly. I can't tell you which ones I liked best, as they were all so good! And fresh! My mouth was bursting with flavor and wanting more and more! This is some of the best sushi I have tasted in my life, and I've been to Japan and was raised in California, so I've been exposed to sushi and this stuff is some of the best!

Even though the sushi would have sufficed for dinner, we also ordered entrees. I chose the Pork katsu, which comes with katsu sauce, steamed vegetables and white or fried rice. The katsu was good, not great, but still tasty. My wife ordered shrimp tempura, which comes with vegetables and white or fried rice. I thought the batter was a little heavy, but again, good. My son had the hibachi chicken, which came with vegetables and noodles. I tasted the noodles which were so so. We were so full that we didn't order dessert. Maybe next time.

All and all, we were very impressed with this restaurant which had undergone new management in Jan 2012. We will be back. I'm still not sure why this restaurant was not packed with all the good food it serves, but their loss was my gain. But probably not for long. And be sure to say hi to Dennis, one of the owners of this great establishment. You won't regret this one!

• Visited October 2012