“you get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows

You added Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows to your Saves list
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8285 Phillips Hwy, Jacksonville, FL 32256   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #77 of 131 Hotels in Jacksonville
Jacksonville, Florida
“you get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had checked out several extended stays before deciding on Suburban, Suburban was fairly reasonable and in a good area, I thought, my time there was spend dealing with road construction some beginning before 8 am, loud neighbors, and pressure washing at all hours creating a parking problem. I had ants and it looked as if the kitchen hadn't been cleaned. Housekeeping never came even though my room was on the list for Tuesdays. It was well lit and felt fairly safe but I would have worked on the overall cleanliness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding housekeeping, noise and the pressure washing on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with Housekeeping and Maintenance to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Jacksonville.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was in town for a graduation and only looking for a clean bedroom with Wifi at a low price. Sure there are amenities that this hotel doesn't have but I didn't need them and wasn't willing to pay extra just to have a hotel that had them. This was my second stay at this hotel and each has met my expectations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. It means a lot to all of us here at Suburban. Please contact us personally should your travels bring you back to Jacksonville so that we may offer you our very special VIP discount.
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Filthy! Room smelled like a cadaver. Nightly riots with "other guests". People getting beat up, drug deals going down, roach infested rooms, smoking in elevators. Small pre-school age children left alone to play in locked cars, stench of cigarettes everywhere, beer cans all over the place, keys do not work. Housekeeping is horrible. Same filthy mop used from bathroom to kitchen and from room to room. Carpets filthy. Front office filthy. Owners and management notified, however nothing changed.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
sesjax, Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Izzadora D:

I apologize for the trouble that you had during your stay, but I almost feel like you reviewed the wrong property. While we are a low budget extended stay, most of the things that you said are not accurate. Most of our guests are living on the property and they all get along great with each other. If you witnessed toddlers in a car alone, I'm positive that the parent was retrieving something out of the room and preparing to go somewhere. There have been no reports of any riots, beer cans or drug deals going on this property as we do have security and they keep an accurate log.
However, Please accept my apology for the trouble that you have had.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Suburban is a good value for a business or personal stay in relationship to the room cost. The bed was comfortable, the room finish, while not the Ritz was acceptable, the hot water was hot, the kitchen was serviceable, the refrig, microwave and stove worked and the bathroom was clean with modestly nice towels. TV worked, lighting was decent and the table and chairs adequate for a meal for up to two. The non smoking room was a non smoking room. With the air fan on the room was quiet for sleeping, no outside distractions.
There were several long term residents that appeared to be struggling financially but all were well mannered and friendly. Never felt apprehensive about the surroundings
Staff was polite and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Robert M.
Thank you so much for this nice review. We in fact do have many guests here that like to call our place "home: until they are able to get back on their feet. We strive to make our nightly or short term guests comfortable and it is nice to know that we are on the right track with our goals.
All of us here at Suburban appreciate your kind words and we welcome you back anytime you are in town on business. Please give us a call personally and we will make sure to give you the best VIP treatment that we can.

Management & Staff
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed all over the world and have seen worse hotels but not many. Front deck assigned me a room that wasn't cleaned and was a smoking room. Reserved a non smoking 2 bed room. Went to front desk and no apology was offered....not I'm sorry, nothing - the only comment was do have to have 2 beds? Took a single bed room...got to the room and it was the size of a closet, dirty, and the bed was broken. Returned to the office and said I wanted a refund. Clerk just looked aggravated and cancel my reservation. Again no attempt to make amends or try to satisfy the customer. Found a new hotel for a few $ more- Microtel. I had another 2 nights booked for Richmond and cancelled because of my experience here. The ownership needs to review their training of staff and housekeeping.

• Stayed September 2012
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Comeflywithmefl,

I am truly sorry that we were unable to accommodate you during your travels. Please know that the problems with the only room type we had available have been fixed. I am happy that you were able to find other arrangements and the desk clerk has been spoken to about the proper way to handle such a situation. I am disappointed that you cancelled your other reservations (I'm guessing it was a Suburban) as not all Suburban's are the same and you should really give it a try first.
Again, I do apologize and I hope that you have enjoyed your travels.
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I was a bit reluctant to stay here after reading the mixed reviews but I decided to give it a chance since the manager has responded to each concern that has been raised within TripAdvisor. I am happy to say that I experienced none of the problems that have been mentioned and I ended up staying a full week because I was satisfied with the accommodations. There were a few annoyances so that is why I'm giving it an "average" as compared to a "very good" rating. For the low cost, though, I thought it was a good value.

Good things:
Plenty of storage space; huge amounts of refrigerator and freezer space; microwave plus regular stove; plates, silverware and utensils supplied. Internet was reliable and speed was good. Nice hot water and plenty of it. All appliances and A/C worked fine.

Annoyances:
No dish soap, dish towels or sponge for washing dishes; no paper towels; no Kleenexes; no memo pad or pencil. Only 1 bar of soap, but it was a generous size. Tiny bathroom sink.

I had absolutely no fears about my safety or the quality of the other people staying in the hotel. There were relatively young people staying at the hotel but they all appeared to either be vacationing or have jobs so I was never concerned about any illicit business being done.

Cleanliness of my room was adequate but not stellar. There were no bugs of any sort (which is actually pretty impressive for a Florida hotel room).

As advertised, housekeeping is only performed once per week so it never occurred during my stay. Even though that is what was advertised, I figured they'd pick up the trash or maybe check the linens through the week but they didn't. I actually kind of appreciated the hands-off approach -- sometimes I get a bit tired of the maid moving/organizing my stuff every day at a regular hotel.

The office/lobby was remodelled during my stay and it looks nice. The contractors were quiet and friendly. Obviously the management is investing money in the site.

I will certainly stay there again if I'm in the JAX area because it was a good value and I liked its proximity to downtown JAX (15 min) and St. Augustine (35 min).

Room Tip: The smallest rooms are very small (only suitable for a single person, in my opinion).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear TravelingMan446,

I can not thank you enough for your honest opinion. While we are not a luxury hotel, we are an extended stay and we cater to the extended stay guest. It takes a lot of time to turn a place around and we are trying very hard to do that and make our place a comfortable and friendly one. Most of our guests are in transient or they are workers, in town for a short amount of time to do a job. We are not designed to cater to nightly business, though we welcome nightly business as well.
If you are ever in Jacksonville again, I would really like for you to contact me personally for a reservation or if you choose to book online, please let me know so that I can assure all of your requests are met and that your stay is even better the second time around.
Again, I Thank You so much. Be safe in your travels.

Shelley
Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We checked in on Sunday May 27th and everything was okay until we got to the hotel and they didnt have any change for my bill then we had to do running around to get change. The room was okay but I have stayed at better Suburban Extended Stays and the bed was very uncomfortable. I do no think that me and my husband will stay at this locataion again. Because of the bed being uncomfortable we tossed and turned all night and being that I am pregnant it was very bad. The staff was friendly though that is one thing that I really liked. If you choose to stay here just make sure you have checked other options first.

Room Tip: Normally the extended stay is a great place to stay but not this one.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. As much as I know you say that you will not stay with us again, mainly due to the beds, I would like to mention that we are getting brand new beds in next month. If for some reason you choose to travel back to Jacksonville and are unable to find another place to stay at a reasonable rate, I hope that you will consider giving us one more chance. I'm sure you will find that the second time around will be a comfortable one.
If you do not, I want to thank you for giving us a try the first time and thank you for your kind words about the staff, that is my number one focus.

Thanks again

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows? Share your experiences!