“Not up to Hilton Garden Inn standards” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book In Advance
Ranked #50 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
North America
“Not up to Hilton Garden Inn standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Upon check-in the front desk was crowded with employees. We discovered that the reason was they had just had the fire department out for a fire that started in a budket of rags. That should have been our first clue that the staff in this particular hotel aren't at the top of their game.
We got checked into our room, and it was a nice room. No complaints in that regard, but when we went to use the glasses on the bar we discovered that one of them was definitely used and had not been replaced. My husband took it down to the front desk and it was replaced.
We had asked for a 4:30AM wake up call, and it didn't come until 4:35AM. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning when considering the service as a whole.
At breakfast I made my breakfast egg order, (an omelet, very well made) asked for tea from the young man behind the bar area, and seated myself. When I unwrapped the silverware from the napkin I discovered that the fork and knife were still dirty. Another indication that whoever is setting up the place settings isn't paying attention to what they are laying out, and perhaps they need a better dishwasher, or at the very least some quality control. The only time the young man came to my table was to deliver my tea to me. I had to seek him out myself in order to pay for my meal.
So my overall impression is that the staff is lazy, and housekeeping is in dire need of employees who care about the quality of their work.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HGIJAX, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose to stay with us while in the area and we apologize for the cleanliness problems you encountered. We have implemented new quality assurance practicesand have addressed your concerns with the dirty glassware and eating utensils with our staff. Inconsistent service is not typical and we assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A very short ride to the airport, which made it very convenient for my morning flight out of JAX. The room was clean and comfortable. I only stayed one night, but would return again. Small pantry store in the lobby sells various things one might need. A good value for the money. There is a Denny's restaurant within walking distance, but be real careful crossing that road on foot. It's like 6 or 8 lanes. Just a heads up on that. (Especially at night, and I would not go walking around there at night, either. Just another heads up)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gizm098,

Thank you for sharing your opinions regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. We are very convenient to the airport and provide complimentary transportation 24 hours a day to the airport and nearby shops and restaurants. I agree with you about airport road and would not recommend crossing on foot, which is why we are happy to offer transportation service to eliminate guests having to cross the main road on foot. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Salisbury, Maryland USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our hotel room was fine, especially given the $60 room rate. The staff was friendly and helpful. My biggest complaint was the breakfast. We've stayed at Marriotts and Hamptons that include very good breakfasts in the room price. We paid $10 each for the breakfast buffett, and I was dissappointed with everything I sampled. They had made to order omelets, but the onions and other veggies should have been sauteed. All I could taste in my omelet was raw onions. The sausage had a peculiar flavor and the bacon tasted like it had been sitting there for hours. The biscuits were hard and tasteless.

Room Tip: Skip the hotel breakfast, fast food restaurants offer better food at cheaper prices.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HGIJAX, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you Karenkinm for your review of your recent stay. I apologize that you did not enjoy breakfast in our full service restaurant the Great American Grill and will be sharing your concerns with the food and beverage manager to ensure all of the chefs are preparing food to the request and satisfaction of the guest. Hampton Inns and certain other chains' properties have limited breakfast selections that are included with the room rate but do not have the full service restaurant or the egg/omelet stations. We also have a bed and breakfast rate that is only $4 per person more than our regular rate that includes the breakfast price in the room rate. Hilton Honors gold or diamond guests also have the option at Hilton Garden Inns of a complimentary full american breakfast or 750 bonus points. I hope we can have the opportunity to accommodate you on your next visit to Jacksonville and you can be my guest at breakfast as I guarantee you the perfect omelet prepared to your exact specifications.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Excellent hotel close to Interstate and Jacksonville airport. The small store in the lobby sells snacks, beer and wine. The hotel did not offer breakfast on the go like Hampton Inn does, where a brown-bagged breakfast is provided to grab while checking out. We checked out shortly after 6AM for an early flight, so we didn't have time to sample the breakfast bar.
King room was very spacious with comfortable bed and jacuzzi bathtub.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Kristinn K for your review of your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and also enjoyed our pavillion pantry where we stock everything from ice cream to frozen meals and beer and wine as you mentioned. The pantry is available 24 hours a day for all your needs. I do apologize that Hilton Garden Inn does not provide a breakfast to go as Hampton Inns do and will certainly visit this issue for our guests who leave on early flights before the restaurant opens. We hope to see you on your next visit to Jacksonville, and if you are on an early flight again, mention it to the desk crew and I am sure they will be able to accommodate a to go breakfast option.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I stay in over 300 HILTON hotels a year. And I am also a Hilton Diamond member. About half of my stays are with HGI. However, this hotel lacks the cleaness you would expect. I know the hotel is an older property But I was told it was renovated. First the customer service is good, the american grill had Great food and service.
The bathroom in my room had hair in the floor and tub and a dark brown stain on the floor that appeared to be dried urine. I reported this to the front desk. They said the would send housekeeping to clean it. When I returned that evening the hair was cleaned But the urine was still on the floor there was also mold around the shower. The table in the bedroom had something sticky all over it and a greesy substance. The water pressure was terrible went from high to low and back to high ect also there was a bad smell like sewer when you would run the shower. And they have terrible hard water. Overall this place lacks the simple things you would expect from HILTON garden inn. I would just suggest staying somewhere else. HILTON has other hotels that are close by the airport.Over all I would only rate this a 4 out of 10. See the pic of the bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012
HGIJAX, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
The staff of this hotel have a committment to providing superior service and accommodations to our guests and would like to be reviewed fairly. This review is fraudulent and should be disregarded. I will not go into details as to the reason this is fraudulent, just hope that we can get this removed so future guests will not have to read fictitious reviews of this property. We listen to our genuine guests and correct any shortcomings immediately and also appreciate gestures of thanks and kindness which sees us ranked in the upper half of the brand in service and cleanliness. We believe in the brand promise that ensures that guests do not pay if they are not satisfied with their stay. Occasionally reading a poster's previous reviews can be very interesting.
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Jax HGI is your typical HGI. The rooms were clean, service at the front desk was very friendly. Was a cold and rainy night during my stay, so was surprised the gas fireplace was not lit in the lobby!
Charles, at the restaurant, was extremely helpful regarding my dinner order. Food was fresh and prepared perfectly. Rather limited beer and wine selection, something that should change.
Other than that, I would definitely stay here again. Great food, good service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is an embarrassment for Hilton. There was hair laying on the shower drain. The coffee cup had never been replaced with a clean one. The molding in the bathroom around the door was gross.

I would not recommend this hotel. Not sure anything in the room had been cleaned. As I was leaving my room the door lock stuck and it was difficult to get the door open.

• Stayed November 2012
HGIJAX, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Ccorrente,

I am very embarrassed by the findings in your room and want to assure you that I have taken action to ensure this does not happen again. We pride ourselves in the service and accommodations we provide and our guest survey scores show us to be at or above the brand average in service and cleanliness. The individual who was assigned to service this room will be coached to make sure they are committed to offereing the level of service that I expect. This is an isolated incident and absolutely will not be tolerated again. Thank You for sharing your views as we continue to listen to our guests in order to improve our hotel.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Airport? Share your experiences!