“Delicious, new flavors - something for everyone” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 1,678 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Texas
“Delicious, new flavors - something for everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time trying Vietnamese food; I came at the recommendation of some Vietnamese friends. The restaurant was crowded when we arrived for lunch, but there was almost no wait for our party of 12 (8 adults). We tried the egg rolls and spring rolls while deciding what to order; they came with two different sauces, one a darker peanut sauce and one a sweet and salty sauce. I was not keen on the appetizers because I am not fond of shrimp, but everyone else enjoyed them. For my meal, I ordered the chicken salad, which was excellent. Very light, but filling, with wonderful texture combinations of crispy and chewy and crunchy.

My sons, despite not liking soup, ordered meatball pho and raved about it. "This is amazing!" exclaimed the 10 year old. My baby and preschooler enjoyed the chicken fried rice; I ate some as well. It had good flavor and was not greasy like other fried rice which I have had.

I also tasted the pho. What I really liked was that at the center of the table were a number of sauces to customize the flavor: sracha, sambal oodles (chili garlic sauce), fish sauce, and hoisin sauce. Different people in our party wanted different levels of spiciness, and thanks to the sauces, everyone was happy.

We all really enjoyed the meal, and I would definitely recommend Bowl of Pho as a great place to eat.

Visited July 2013

Jacksonville, Florida
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We tried this restaurant due to reviews on this website. I got the bowl of pho with all the meats. My husband got the spicy beef pho. We also shared pork spring rolls which came out first and were awesome. The pork was delicious. The pho arrived a short time later. My husbands was spicy and delicious. I didn't like the flavor or smell of my broth. It smelled and tasted like cloves which I can't stand. I didn't see on the menu that was ingredient in the pho or I wouldn't have gotten it. Other than that tho the meat, noodles, and veggies tasted great. I would go again but would get something different.

Visited July 2013
CT
“It's very good for this area.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've been to this place twice now. Can't remember exactly what I had the first time, but this time I ordered the House Special pan-fried noodles (Mi xao) as well as the rice with pork chops, shredded pork and meatloaf. Restuarant is clean and has a nice ambience.

I agree with the others that the food here is pretty good. My noodles were a nice sized portion and made as I expected, with a variety of veggies and protein types (ie. chicken, pork, fake crab, etc). The only way it could be better is if they use a slightly thicker egg noodle. Thinner noodles absorb the sauce more readily and as a result will soften quicker.

Since I was still a little hungry, I ordered the rice dish as well. Unfortunately, this one was not as good and left me disappointed. The pork chop should be of normal thickness, but the two I received were small and thin, perhaps only quarter inch thick. And I received only a small portion of shredded pork and meatloaf. So while not terrible, I've definitely had it better.

Because of the rice dish, I am only going to rate this place four stars. I've been to two other Viet restaurants in Jacksonville and while I'm not sure if it's the best around, it's definitely not third best and would be tied for first at the least. However, if compared against restaurants in cities with higher Vietnamese populations, then Bowl of Pho still needs to raise their game a bit.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Busy at lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

If going for lunch, get there early as this place is very busy. The wall décor is eye pleasing. However, the seating is getting old and many tables have been put together to accommodate the crowd. The service is excellent. Unlike another Pho restaurant in town, there is no family sitting around disturbing the diners. Tasty entrees!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Authentic Food, Great Value & Quality, & Friendly Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Title sums it up. Only thing we would add is that the restaurant is usually quite full, so don't be surprised if there is a short wait. Service is great, so usually customers are in and out in a timely fashion. The Pho is AMAZING but surely all other items are probably wonderful as well.

• Visited May 2013