“Add "incidentals hold" to your room budget” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 131 Hotels in Jacksonville
Florida
“Add "incidentals hold" to your room budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Overall saty was very good, but had a few minor issues. Had never stayed at an Aloft property before so was looking forward to something different. At check in there were two staff members both dealing with another customer and I was certainly fine to wait a few minutes. But as I stood there, neither even acknowledged me. After a few minutes, I said "I would like to check in" and was told "I'd have to wait just a minute". OK - then I was told there was an incidentals hold and was floored to learn it was $75.00 on a card and it might take a few days to get back on my card. I asked if I could just use an ATM and give them the cash so i could get it back upon check out ,and was told if I used cash, it would be $200.00. Have stayed at 5 star hotels that didn't have holds that high. The incidentals charge was MORE than the cost of the room.

Property and room were both very modern, clean and comfortable. It was strange that there was no ice machine and ice has to be purchased from the 24-hour store, but turned out not to be a problem because the room had a mini fridge. Very nice shower large shower, and I actually liked the bed facing the windows and the minalmalistic atmosphere. Next problem was when I went to log on to my computer using the free hotel-wide internet. I kept getting an error message that said "too many users logged on, contact your system administrator". So I called the front desk to see if they could do that. Instead, she gave me the IT number and told me to call, saying "call them most of the time they can fix it". So I did, and the IT person I spoke to was short, took my info and hung up. I tried several times more and within about 15 minutes I was able to get logged on, was dropped twice, but then was able to stay connected.

The staff (except upon check in) was very nice, everyone I encountered was professional and friendly, even the front desk when I went back downstairs later in the evening. The selection at the 24 hour store is very good and includes hot and cold beverages along with a hot chocolate/latte machine, and breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner options, most of which are very healthy. There was a bar area that looked very well stocked adjacent to a common area with a pool table and seating area that was full of young people. There were mostly 20 to 30 year olds, some as couple and quite a few with small children. The "vibe" of the hotel is very hip and young with alot of amenities geared toward "tech" devices, so I can see the appeal to the younger crowd. The pool area was very large and nicely appointed with comfortable chairs. However, there were alot of children and dogs out there most of the day and evening.

Overall my stay very good. Would recommend for younger crowd, or traveling solo. Not necessarily the place for an older couple looking to relax or a place to be romantic or unwind, unless you just enjoy hanging out with people your kids' age.

Room Tip: They are pet friendly, so if you are not, ask for a floor without pets.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Scott W, General Manager at Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and especially the information about our incidental hold. I understand that you were able to get your room at a bargain and while incidental holds are generally a formula of the room rate. However, if you purchase your room through a 3rd party website like Expedia or Priceline, a minimum hold will be utilized. As you experienced, we explain this in advance and this is explained during the confirmation process through the 3rd party websites. We appreciate bargain travelers and offer these discounted rates but, are unable to waive other service fees or holds due to the discounted rate.

We prefer not to stereotype our customers by age and often have guests from every generation enjoy our hotel. We are a social hotel and enjoy getting to know our customers while they mix and mingle with other guests.

The Aloft presents a new tWist in travel and doesn't provide all services as other prototypical hotels but, the best of everything in life doesn't follow the rest. Please visit us again and you will grow to love us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I was enthusiastic about this hotel as I usually like modern and minimalistic, but was disappointed with our stay. I room smelled strongly of mildew when we checked in and there was no way to open the windows of the room. We actually picked up an air fresherner while out the first night.

The rooms are dark -- really, really dark -- and there is little in the way of lighting to brighten them. I understand they are going for a look and ambiance, but it was actually difficult to read in the room or to really see how clean the bathroom was.

Overall, most everything looks and feels very cheap and laminated. The hair dryer did not work and had to have been the cheapest model hairdryer I had ever seen.

The location was convenient and the price was right, otherwise I would have probably dropped another star.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the Aloft brand. We do understand that we are not the prototypical hotel and may not be for everyone. Thank you for giving us a try.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

If I could have given a score of 6 on a 1-5 scale with 5 being highest, this hotel would have had straight 6's. Beds were comfy, the staff very eager to please, great pool and exercise room and great sushi just steps away. If in Jacksonville again you know where I will be staying.

• Stayed June 2014
Scott W, General Manager at Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for the kind comments. Please visit again soon.
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Felt like I was in college dorm room.. Noisy AC all night.. And when you are Platinum, you figure it will be a little nicer.. No little welcome gift ..just standard points.. Even the Sheraton gave me Ghiradelli chocolates.. Just not my type of hotel.. Expected more

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience. We really appreciate our loyal SPG travelers and we know that we don't have the same offerings as a full-service hotel. The Aloft experience isn't for everyone and occassionally, we do find people that miss those full-service amenities.
orlando, Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for the Florida Country Superfest. This hotel was in a perfect location to get to the Everbank Field arena and to St Johns Town Center. However, since we booked this hotel on hotels.com they booked us for a double bed room, but when we went to check in the hotel, the hotel had reserved a room that only had one bed. On my friend's receipt it said a two double bed room, but apparently there was something in the fine print on the receipt that you have to request a two bedroom room at the hotel or something unusual like that. Other than the goof up with the room situation, the room we had was very clean but basic. It lacked basic amenities like dressers, a microwave and a coffee maker.
Plus I was not a fan of the layout of the room. The lights were very confusing and from the bedroom you could see someone taking a shower. Plus we were on the first floor so we right next to the bar. There was some sort of party going on Saturday night so we did not fall asleep until 3 am.
Since we only had one bed, one of my friends had to sleep on a cot. But the cot was more like a stretcher. A very uncomfortable stretcher. We asked for a mattress pad to try to make it more comfortable, but all they could give us was more blankets and pillows. Each day my friend woke with her back killing her. So sleeping arrangements were not that organized. Overall, the hotel needs to improve on their organization.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you taking the time to share your experience. We are aware that many people shop for the best rate using any of the many websites reselling our rooms however, they are not all created equal. Please be careful as some websites choose the room for you and some provide "requests" on your behalf instead of guarantees. Some of these websites only list this information in their fine print but, it can affect your stay. We do our very best to honor all requests but, on sold out dates, we can only offer what we have. I'm very sorry that your visit was affected.
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Wasn't sure where to stay in Jacksonville. Wanted to stay close to the stadium. Was very happy with location of hotel. It was easy to get on and off of 95. Hotel was very clean and staff was very friendly. I was even able to check in before 3pm since I had to be at a luncheon at 2pm.
Very Satisfied would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

I have been commuting from Orlando and Jax for the past few years and have had the opportunity to stay at many hotels in the area. The Aloft is always my preferred location. Great staff from the moment you walk in. Amelia at the front desk even remembers my name and who I am. Plus she makes a point to always say to enjoy my day. How often do you get that?! Also Shallen has been able to accommodate my business travel needs to ensure I have a home away from home and has been most accommodating. If you're in Jacksonville, this is the best place to stay if you're looking for price,quality and service.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for the kind comments. It's great to hear that everyone from the Desk Agents that check you in/out to the Sales staff is helpful every time.

Been to Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park? Share your experiences!