“NOT pet friendly” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Thomasville, Georgia
“NOT pet friendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012 via mobile

We checked into our room, took a shower, and then went to grab a quick bite to eat. We had our two small dogs with us as they claimed to be a pet friendly hotel. We got back 45 minutes later and my dog wasn't in the room. They had "taken him for a walk." WHO takes someone's dog out? They said he was barking, but they left the other dog in the room. They left 5 messages as the phone was in the room charging. When we returned the manager told us that we couldn't leave our room again without taking the dogs (we had a brewery tour that we missed because of this and tickets for Wicked)! So, we checked out with a full refund, but had to get another hotel without notice and ended up paying an additional $200. Rude & unacceptable. If you're NOT pet friendly, don't say you are. To make matters worse, the manager was talking about us AS we left like we couldn't hear. She ignored us and made an employee that just came on her shift check us out. We travel with our dogs twice monthly and this is not usual. I'm horrified, disappointed, angry, and embarrassed.

• Stayed January 2012
Scott W, General Manager at Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
I, respectfully, disagree with your comments. Upon arrival, you signed a Pet Policy which stated that you would not leave your pets unattended. You did and your pets barked the entire time you were gone causing other guest's to complain. We cared enough about your pets that we entered the room, retrieved the barking dog, cared for the dog, walked the dog and left a Manager with the dog at all times. I am sorry that you don't feel that was appropriate however, we attempted to care for your pets to the best of our ability.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I was there only for a night on business but the lobby environment was extremely relaxing and enjoyable. Between the lounge, bar and game station I rarely spent any time in my room. But when I was in the room the environment and sleep I got from the comfortable bed was equally enjoyable. There was great, responsive customer service from the front desk. Carlysle, an attendant on duty was so pleasant she made what was a difficult, unfruitful business trip for me, worth the trouble. This experience convinced me that boutique hotels definitely have their perks. I would certainly stay at this hotel again

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Stayed here during Thanksgiving week. A male working at the front desk appeared extremely disinterested in checking myself and my family in. My first thought was that he was probably bummed about working on Thanksgiving and I could understand the less than welcoming behavior. However, we stayed for five days. He gave us the same sour look upon every encounter. I have never walked in a hotel, had someone at the front desk make eye contact, then look away without a hello or even a slight head nod. On one occasion, my mom asked him a question about ice and he very rudely replied, "we don't have ice on the floors." Instead of offering a suggestion or even apologizing he gave her a look that read, "why are you still standing here"? She was hesitant to ask him anymore questions during the stay. I have never felt so unwelcome. Clearly, the hospitality industry is not a good fit for him.

Despite this clerk's rudeness, I must say the rest of the staff was a joy. We had very pleasant encounters with several sweet ladies in housekeeping and other staff were friendly. Unfortunately, "rude and arrogant for no apparent reason" guy, seemed to be the primary face we saw. When we checked out, another clerk was at the desk. I told her about rude guy and she was very apologetic and appeared genuinely sorry about our experience.

As stated by others, it has a very trendy "IKEA-ish" feel and there may be a DJ in the lobby. If that does not bother you, it's perfect. Also in a great location with shopping and restaurants near. So, if rude guy finds his calling in a cubicle somewhere where he does not have to deal with the public, this is definitely a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
orlando, fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

I decided to try out the new Aloft for business travels to Jacksonville. I love the Starwood family of hotels and it's my preference whenever I travel. I got my great corporate rate so it was a good deal...I liked that the hotel was pet friendly with no additional charge, there was in room free bottled water and free wifi. I will say that the service at the front desk was so relaxed that it was truly lacking and not very helpful really (unusual for Starwood no matter what level of hotel you are staying at). The hotel has a great location close to major highway and St John town center for shopping and food. The room was great for the price of the hotel. I really hope their front desk service improves, I don't want to find another hotel in Jax since I will be here 1 wk a month! (also I will acknowledge that other staff was friendly)

• Stayed November 2011
Springfield, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Traveling for business, room smelled bad and was dirty the duration of our stay (even after housekeeping had been in our room). Rooming with a co-worker and the room was not suited for 2 people, early mornings and had to turn on all lights in the room to use the bathroom light. Lobby was small and noisy, dance music entering my hotel after a long day of meetings - absolutely not a family-friendly atmosphere. Won't be back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I had taken the redeye to the east coast and arrived in JAX at 9am. I had called the hotel earlier in the week to ask about early check-in and was informed that the hotel was close to full and they couldn't say if it were possible. So, given that a warm body is more impressive than a phone call, I drove to the hotel. The desk person was very helpful and got me in at 10 am. After a short nap, I was good to go.

The atmosphere at Aloft is industrial W style. Its always fun and does not take itself seriously. The rooms are comfortable and have the same sleek and minimal style. As an architect, I appreciate the break from the boring.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I was really looking forward to this hotel stay. It was very interesting looking in the pictures and it had good reviews. First, when I called to verify late check in, the reservationist made me feel like I was wasting his time. I arrived at the hotel, got to my room and the noise level was terrible. I could hear the distinct conversations that were going on outside my door, down the hall, the room next to us...and the upstairs noise was just as bad. This is such a little thing, but in other places I've stayed it's been handeled, but the the romote's batteries were dead. We called down and asked for new batteries and were told someone would be right up. I checked out at 11am today...I wonder if those batteries ever showed up.
I accidentally left behind a make up bag. I called very soon after I realized it was missing. I was told that housekeeping hadn't found anything and to try calling back. I was never asked my name or phone number. I've called back 3 times today and they still haven't found anything. It's disappointing at the way I've been treated each time I've called. Also, even though it's a really nice concept, having the lounge area where your guest service staff are trying to provide guest service causes a problem. When speaking to the staff they couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them over the lounge noise. Which again, made me wonder if they even cared about things that were important to me. Unless necessity dictates, I wouldn't stay here again.
Oh yeah...the oversized showers? No...they aren't. My home shower is larger. The neat thing about the shower was the smoked glass into the bedroom area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park? Share your experiences!