“noticed a change in food” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
“noticed a change in food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Has the place been sold? Noticed a change in the food, where it waa delicious, it is now just ok. The service is slow, but the servers are always sweet and make you feel so welcome.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Jacksonville, Florida
“Good Neighborhood Haunt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I have eaten at Cafe du Marche several times. Floyd Sliemen is a genious at creating this neighborhood gem! The ambience is sophisticated and refined in a low key kind of way. Yes, it can be a little cramped at time, but the staff does a good job of spacing out parties, so it's generally not a problem. The service is top notch. The food is awesome - I love the Monte Cristo!

You can't go wrong with this choice for any meal.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good Breakfast Joint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

We've eaten breakfast here twice on Sunday mornings. Food was very good on both trips. The place can be a bit cramped...which hampers the atmosphere...but then again...most places you eat breakfast on Sundays share the same challenge...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, GA
“Excellent breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I had breakfast here yesterday with my wife and her parents, after a better-known place proved to have too long of a wait. I'm glad we came here instead -- everyone was quite happy with what they had, and the restaurant is far more attractive than I would expect of a place in a strip mall.

I went for the bagel and lox with all the trimmings, which included a generous portion of capers along with red onion, cream cheese, and fresh tomato. Yum! My wife had the Mandarin omelet and pronounced it excellent, and my in-laws had hot cakes (one buttermilk, one blueberry) that were amazingly fluffy. One extra nice aspect: The restaurant grinds whole coffee beans fresh with each pot.

As mentioned, the decor is nice -- bright, multicolored wall tiles and a swooping ceiling treatment give a fun feel to the place. Also very nice were the friendly service and reasonable prices; every breakfast we ordered or considered was in the $7-$8 range. Give this place a try!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Julington Creek Plantation
“Not a good place to eat.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Totally terrible. We took our daughter, visiting from California, to this establishment today hoping for a delicious meal and happy experience. We were greeted nicely, but all downhill from there. My silverware was dirty...the waiter gave little attention, got our drink order wrong and brought two meals long before the third arrived. All of that could have been excused if the food was any good. Alas, all three meals were dismal. The worst meal was Crabcake Eggs Benedict. How can a "French" restaurant get eggs benedict wrong? The meal was more like hardboiled eggs on top of canned crabmeat (yuck) with minimal gluey hollandaise. We were all so disappointed. This restaurant should be called "Crappy duh marsh". A man I suppose was the owner spent a fair amount of time outside checking his phone and talking to friends. Maybe he should check the restrooms and the kitchen-both in questionalble working order. I would have expected such poor service, horrible food, dirty cutlery and disgustingly unclean environment from a roadside joint. I try to give restaurants a break, but this place had so many problems that I felt the need to write my first on-line review. That's bad!

• Visited September 2011