“Interesting but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 169 things to do in Jacksonville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington, Pennsylvania
41 attraction reviews
“Interesting but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The story to be told is very sad in a way. The treatment of the slaves is sad. The family history is interesting. The exhibits of the planting and the industry was interesting.
But as a unit of the National Park Service, it was not up to par. Or maybe I am just spoiled by the bigger more famous sites with bigger budgets.

Visited December 2013

Jacksonville, Florida
“Nature and History Lovers will Love This Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I was expecting a big house and grounds - something like Tara from Gone With the Wind. What I failed to understand is that something as old as this, and considering the era when life flourished on these grounds, would dictate structures of a different sort.

Historically, I find in amazing that people and industry were able to thrive so far from other population centers and with so little. That being said, and with all of today's modern conveniences, appreciating the way life was a couple of hundred years takes a good imagination and visits to places like this.

From a natural beauty perspective, the waterway, grasses, trees, birds, butterflies and overall ambience are all wonderful. While I have not done so yet, this would be a great setting to sit, read a book and watch the birds and waters pass by, especially on a warm summer day.

If you want spectacular along the lines of Williamsburg, this is not the place. If you want to get a glimpse of early Florida life during settlement years, or simply bask in the wonders of nature, this is for you.

Visited December 2013
“August 20ish 2011”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I personally went to this plantation with two friends of mine that live in the area. She told me about this place and that we were going to check it out on our own. I see some of the pictures of the plantation those of the cab in ruins and other spots I wish someone could take a picture of the what looks like a horse corral on the left side of the plantation when you are turning from the water and looking to the left it has two doors on the side and on the other side Invisible to the naked eye without going into the building. This has many writings on the wall other information. I had an instance where I could feel the Africans in their presents I saw the inside of that building from the back end of the plantation my girlfriend did not understand but it freaked me out. I am with Tiffany above me in stating that you need to get more of the facts and if you have insight to see things you will surely get an eyeful. My question based on boarded statements inside of this building there is a copper bowl in which they stated that people grew sugar cane and made breads..
I told my gf no I won't go in this stable as there are the 2 doors and never seening with my eyes nor heard of such a place,I knew there was on the back side but only 1 door,as if they held auctions there... Well to my surprise! They did.. Raped and sold traded slaves!! Its horrible..how can an individual hey this is a beautiful place I can see because its been restored if there was any original pictures which very few of them exist it does not look like it was so gorgeous Florida has mystified the truth and my personal opinion. I was there with those tabby bricks. I stood in the dirt for the Africans racked the fields. my question too many is, where can they say they grew sugar cane in that time zone in that time area where's the proof.???also what's left untold is it the front door of those cabins in which the Africans which were also named Kingsley put jewels um chicken heads and such to keep the evil spirits out of the room. Does that sound like a delightful place to call elegant and beautiful?not being from Florida on my visit I became educated if people can walk away from this with a smile on their face they're disgusting in my opinion. If you cannot hold the tears back you have a heart for the people and the terror that they really went through. Like the other person who wrote Tiffany she says get both sides there's good and bad on both sides. The practicality of it is it was more brutal then anyone wants to imagine. Another based on mind being there personally on that ground he is if you are able to travel without a tour guide go deep into those beautiful woods those scary looking trees as some of you say go very deep and you the mansion where's Mr Kingsley really lived. At this time you will find it a whole different opinion on the Kingsley plantation at I view it looks to be at least 6 stories high my friends have pictures of it. When you ask about this Kingsley mansion they tell you it no longer exists but just as one of the photographs States before it says do not answer the tabbies because they can be unstable and they want to preserve them yet one of the people let their children in there and took pictures inside of the ruins. I guess we as individuals want to step on the very ground that the slaves did. I guess I'm guilty too. I only want to share this story because I left there with the new perspective not just a historical ride.

Visited August 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Love The Local History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Kingsley Plantation really provides an education on how Zephaniah Kingsley and his wife, Anna ran their plantation and how much they cared about this area and the people. Anna Kingsley herself was, at one time, a slave and she really did quite a bit to free the slaves of her plantation. AWESOME experience! I lived here my entire life and I try to visit Kingsley Plantation at least once a year!

Visited April 2013
Reno, Nevada
25 attraction reviews
“Very educational. Excellent audio tour.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I don't think the reviews do this place justice. If you want to learn about the early years/life in this part of Florida, this is a must-see. This is a free National Park. The free audio tour is excellent and brings the entire place into focus. Yes, the 2 mile entrance road is hard packed dirt, but it is easily drivable at low speeds and sets the mood for the destination. Note: the Visitor Center is a walk beyond the house, to the left. Probably not of much interest to young children, but good for older children to learn about and great for adults. I am guessing it rates as low as it does on TripAdvisor only because it isn't flashy and doesn't solicit reviews like so many attractions in Florida. But, if you have any interest in history, don't miss it. Note: house tours are only available on the weekend, but not necessary to the essence and value of this tour.

Visited November 2013

Been to Kingsley Plantation? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Kingsley Plantation, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.