“Very Thin Walls” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wallingford, Connecticut
“Very Thin Walls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed her 2 times within 2 weeks. First visit was much better from the room to the breakfast. The second visit was not good at all. First, they did not have my internet reservation on file, thankfully another room was available. Second, the walls are very thin that the family next to us was up after midnight with childen that were screaming and talking VERY loud, with a loud TV, that we ended up banging on the wall to get them to stop. Third, the breakfast the next morning was VERY slow, expensive and not very good. I honestly don't think I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The night desk lady has the classiest welcome you'll ever recieve ANYwhere at ANY hotel in the world, and I travel for a living! Had to do a double take to be sure I was in the right place! Compliment that with baked cookies and icy lemon water on tap right there at the desk and good goodness! The beds are sleep number and served with feather everythings. You can't even hear the AC running it's soo quiet. Super clean, super comfy. Late check out not a problem at this place. I will return EVERY time I visit family in Jax. Oh, did I mention it's attractive? And the craziest of all, AAA rate of $80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: As always, Don't get a connecting room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

This property is phenomenal. It is in a well-manicured area about 10 minutes southeast of downtown Jacksonville. This was my first stay at a Hilton Garden Inn and I was highly impressed. This hotel chain appears to be comparable to an Embassy Suites but with a better price. Now the pros and cons:

Pros: Clean and safe location; excellent breakfast buffet with made-to-order omelets/eggs, meats, fruit, milk, juices, yogurt, coffee, danishes, bread (including bagels) and cream cheese/spreads, and even a waffle machine; afternoon cookies from Otis Spunkmeyer; wonderful rooms with flat panel TVs and alarm clocks and microwave and fridge; plenty of parking and location which is near several fast food stops and casual dining restaurants; movie theatre literally right next door

Big pros: the front desk staff features two wonderful ladies, Darlena and Bertide. Bertide has an outstanding smile and personality and tries to make your stay great. Darlena is a phenomenal and apparently experienced front desk clerk. When I checked early morning on Saturday she adeptly and politely shooed away two wandering youngsters who said they needed to go see a guest (but did not know the guest's last name or room number). These two ladies are huge assets to this property and the chain. They should be rewarded.

Cons: exercise room is the typical smallish size though it has 4 cardio machines (2 treadmills and 2 cross-training machines) and dumbells up to 50 pounds plus one weight bench; annoying dripping of water onto the window pane outside of our 3rd floor room [I discovered that our travel mates, who were in the room next door, also experienced this annoying constant drip) possibly from an air-conditioning unit; the room phone by the bed was inoperable [but the other phone on the desk was working].

Great rate for our stay--$87.00 per night plus tax and two of those nights were weekend nights---and overall quality of the property make it well worth the stay if you will be in Jacksonville. If I return to Jacksonville and it is in any way convenient I shall return to this property myself. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the constant dripping water--not sure what rooms this would be (the noise c...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I love the hotel. I love the people. I love the breakfast. I love the local resteraunts and other things within walking distance....

however - I am not going to stay here anymore because of the internet speed. it's worse than dial-up AND it's hard-wired into the wall. Not even wireless. There's a little placard on the desk where you have to sit that says, "speed from 50 to 200 Times Faster than dial-up" this is soooooooooooooo wrong. Dial up is much much faster.

C'mon people. A hotel like this needs to be way out in front of state of the art with technology. I travel every week for business and the hotel is my home all week long. Because I work in the evenings, I NEED fast access on the internet. Again, the lack of internet access has a direct impact on my livelihood and it's not worth waaaiiiittttiiiinnnnngggg for the 10-minute download of a webpage.

'Nuff said. if you need internet access to be fast - don't stay here! if it's not important, this is a wonderful place....oh yeah, like others have state....water pressure really low. People are fabulous.

My rating is based solely on the internet speed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
bobarndt, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville JTB / Deerwood Park, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
I am so sorry your experience with our hotel (internet) was not up to par. I am however happy to say that we are getting wireless internet installed throughout the hotel as I speak! I would love the opportunity to try to win you back over after the install is complete, if you would be willing please give me a call next time you are in town and I will take care of your reservation personally. Sincerely, Bob Arndt- General Manager
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

That being said, I have stayed here many times. Solid and good.

• Stayed August 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Initally we had an issue with our room when checking in, but Melissa Breland went above and beyond to make it right. We actually had so much fun in the lobby thanks to her- we nicknamed ourselves, "The Lobby Girls!" A perfect example of what tremendous customer service can do. We could have left this hotel, never wanting to return. Instead it is one we look forward to visiting again VERY SOON!

In addition, the rooms were very clean. The breakfast was great. The breakfast staff and front dest staff were warm and friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Stayed here for two weeks for work, and by the end the staff felt like family and the hotel felt like home. That's how hospitable they were.

The hotel itself is perfect for business trip needs. Rooms are spotless, beds are comfortable, free internet is huge, nice little pool area for the evening, and a superb breakfast. Really everything you could need. Location wise it is perfect for access to the highway, and has plenty of great amenities in close proximity.

However, when writing my review I have to pay special mention to it's members of staff, as they are the ones that took this stay to another level. Every single person that mans that front desk, is friendly, outgoing, helpful, and just genuinely nice. I work in the service industry, and these members of staff are the type of example of hospitality I would hope my own team members could strive toward. They were always willing to go above and beyond, and seemed genuinely happy to have myself and team stay with them.

I have to pay special mention to Dale and Curtis, as these were the two individuals that really made the stay memorable.

I would highly recommend this Hilton Garden Inn, and I will definitely stay here when I return to Jacksonville.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville JTB / Deerwood Park? Share your experiences!