“Dive Motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Jacksonville Downtown Area

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Jacksonville Downtown Area to your Saves list
Super 8 Jacksonville Downtown Area
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2228 Phillips Highway, I-95 & Phillips Hwy Exit 105, Jacksonville, FL 32207   |
Ranked #90 of 130 Hotels in Jacksonville
Jasper, Florida
“Dive Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is going to seem like a slightly harsh review. This motel is by far not the worst I have ever stayed in...neither is it in the top 20 worst. This is actually an average low-budget motel, no worse than the thousands that litter cities around the country. If you want a suite, this is NOT the motel for you. Want a cheap room that's mostly tolerable? You might be in luck.

The motel is kinda hard to get to. I initially passed right by it due to construction and a weird interstate exit. Immediately after the exit, you need to turn into the "Scottish Inn" parking lot, drive through it and into the "Super 8" lot...there really no other way to get to it.

I made a reservation using the Super 8 website about 2 weeks prior to my arrival. Didn't matter, they had no record of the reservation even though I had a confirmation number and e-mail. They made up for it by quickly checking me into the same style room I had reserved. The desk clerk had an accent, but was easily understandable, and pleasant. I was all set in a matter of 5 minutes.

When I first entered the room, I immediately noticed a musty smell that faintly reminded me of urine. Luckily I've stayed in cheap motels before, so I was prepared with a few car air fresheners to stick onto the A/C unit. Took care of the problem pretty quickly. The smell was noticeable, but not horrifying by any means.....It was relatively faint, but definitely there. The view (which face it, isnt what people who stay here are after) is of the hotel next door and the interstate...at least on the side I was on. Lord knows what you can see on the other side.

The next things I noticed were the stains on the walls, especially in the corners and along all of the floors. The bathroom was worse, with mold in the shower, a very grimy top edge of the shower walls, painted over wall/ceiling damage (water expansion mostly). The toilet and shower had extremely low water pressure. You could tell that they had made a very small effort to clean, but it was half-hearted at best.

I always take the blanket off the bed right away, since I have it on good authority that motels usually only wash them when the moon is full, and a virgin is handy. The standard issue tan velour blanket underneath the bedspread had hairs on it...quite a few hairs. So many that if a murder ever occurs in this hotel, the culprit will likely get away with it if all they find is a few hairs as evidence...they'd never be able to prove they belonged to the murderer rather than one of the the 50 people that stayed prior. Thankfully I had my own blanket, so the tan one went the way of the bedspread. The sheets looked clean, and even smelled clean, but I took no chances and used my own. The pillows were very thin, but again, I've been to this rodeo before and had mine from home. The mattress itself was thin, and hard...the springs my constant companion through the night. I'm used to a pillow top high-end mattress at home, so this was rough...but I slept fine, with only a touch of stiffness the next morning (not the fun kind either).

The Wi-Fi internet connection sucked, which is pretty standard at cheap motels. One or two bars was the best I could get, and the signal dropped a lot. Add in a bunch of annoying pop-ups, and I ended up using my phone for most things.

The microwave was clean and worked, the A/C was a little noisy but not too bad and worked fine, the fridge was clean and froze my drinks on the max setting. The TV was an older model, but pretty good size (looked like a 32" or 36") and had one channel of HBO with about 80 other cable and local channels. The room also had a hair dryer, iron, coffee maker and plenty of space for my clothes. The alarm clock was a big question mark. I plugged it in, and half the numbers didn't light up, so I had no idea what time it was displaying. I unplugged it and used my phone to wake me up instead.

I stayed for 2 nights, and would say that all-in-all, this was a decent motel for what it was: an aging, under repaired, cheap motel.

If I need to stay in Jacksonville again, I'd probably try a different motel though.

Room Tip: Bring your own bed linen if you can, and definitely an air freshener or 2.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed there from April 11, 2014-April 14, 2014. Mr. J and his staff are always very accommodating. When I'm in Jacksonville I always stay at this location. The waffle breakfast and oj are an excellent way to start off your day. Did mention it was free?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
super8central, General Manager at Super 8 Jacksonville Downtown Area, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hi there we really appreciate your positive feedback and always looking forward to have you stay with us. Thanks again for staying at super 8 Jacksonville downtown area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here for a night during a 14 hour road trip to Miami. I left my Ipad in one of the rooms and the staff went above an beyond to get a hold of me when they they personally did not have my contact information. They also took the time to mail me the Ipad. I appreciate their honestly. If you are looking for a place to sleep for the night that is cheap then this is perfect. The place was clean and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
I would like to appreciate your positive. We value your stay and hope you stay at super 8 Jacksonville again in the future. Thank you.
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I didn't get the room with the microwave and fridge despite my reservation but they had a microwave in the lobby I used. The breakfast was a joke and lobby was too small to a accommodate a proper seating. It was worth the price after coupon, nothing more.
Staff was nice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

It was late and we needed somewhere to stay on our way to Savannah. The room was clean although old with bathroom paint peeling and carpet fraying in places but beds where comfortable. Walls are thin as we could hear people next to us. It is also near a railway line and there was someone making a lot of noise banging thoughout the night to be told it was management. Then to top it of someone turned up at 4am with their car music so load they could have been a mile away and still sounded like they where in front of our room. If it wasn't for all the noise would have had a good nights sleep.

The price includes breakfast in a very small area but you can take it back to your room. Breakfast included waffles (make your own), tea & coffee, cereal, toast, porridge & fresh fruit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you wrote us we always rely on guest’s satisfaction and review. We are planning to make some renovation in the near future and will make your next visit a pleasant one if you go through Jacksonville. Thank you again for staying at Super 8 Jacksonville.
Windermere, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

terrible neighborhood I wouldn't even stop for gas in the morning, hotel is old, beds were comfortable, room was in "fair" condition, not much parking, no trailer parking, hotel was right off the highway.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Super 8 Jacksonville Downtown Area? Share your experiences!