“Smokey Smelling Hallway & Bathroom” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6969 Lenoir Ave E, Jacksonville, FL 32216   |
Ranked #41 of 131 Hotels in Jacksonville
Tampa, Florida
“Smokey Smelling Hallway & Bathroom”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in early March 2013. We had just relocated to Jacksonville and had to stay here as we were looking for our own place to live. Now the staff is very friendly and the rooms are in good shape. The beds are very comfortable and the shower pressure is excellent. We stayed 5 nights and payed $274.00 with tax. That included a fee for the safe. We didn't use it. I am writing this on the day of check out. They hold the amount on your bank card. Then they are going to charge the amount again at check out. So a total of about $548.00 on my card and will have to wait until one of the amounts drop off in about 5 business days or maybe even more. They say it's your bank that does this. But I know that's not true as I worked for a bank for 7 years and I also spoke to my bank about this and they said it's the property that does this. They could charge your card the day you check in. I believe they do this as like a sort of deposit. If anything is damaged or someone smokes in the room they keep that charge on their as well. I have been to hotels where I am charged that amount right away. So that's strike one.
Anyway, let me get to the reason I put the title up.(This hotel is supposed to be 100% smoke free.)
When we first got here we were on the 2nd floor. The bathroom shower had a crack in the wall where water could seep in. I let them know about this.
Anyway on day 2 we were going to go out to the store to get a few things when I saw a maid run down with towels to put in the hall. I was wondering what was going on. She said a water pipe was broken on the 4th floor. I did see water starting to leak down. She advised us to go to the front desk to be moved. So we were moved to the 5th floor.
At first their were no luggage carts to move our stuff and they said we don't know where they are. They only have 2 for the whole hotel.So we had to lug our stuff from one end of the hotel to the other side up 3 flights. Strike 2. When we were about half way done we saw another guest with the luggage rack and she let us use it. Thank God.
So we get into our room and get everything back in order. On the 3rd day these guys checked in to rooms near us. They put the top door latch so the door wouldn't close all the way. They kept letting the door bang against it during the evenings and left them like this.
Anyway on the 3rd night my daughters said they smelled cigarette smoke. I said no that can't be this place is supposed to be smoke free. I went into the hall and yep I smelled smoke.
I informed the front desk and they said they would look into it. Nothing. The next day I went down and informed the front desk person. They went up and said they smelled it but couldn't tell where it was coming from. They told the maid to check those rooms where people stay over. Well, we got back to our room and the phone was ringing. It was the front desk. They said the maid couldn't find anything and that it was a perfume smell.(I guess essence of cigarette smoke.)People have ways of covering it up. Hello! Well now it's the morning I have to check out and I went into the bathroom and was nearly knocked over by the smell of smoke. Then my wife confirmed it when she went in the bathroom and she's not as sensitive to smoke as I am. I am very allergic and can't stand cigarette smoke. She said it was so bad she had to hold her nose.(By the way the front desk person said thank you for letting us know but it's probably that they can't prove it they said it wasn't smoke.) Because of this and the fact we had to move most of our stuff without a luggage rack I am giving the whole experience a low rating. Oh another thing you don't get many channels. I like sports but 3 or 4 Espn channels and 2 HBO channels so only like 30 channels maybe at the most. Also having the double charge on my card for a few days when I could really use the extra money. So be prepared for that fact whether you stay one night or 5 nights your debit/credit card is going to be charged 2 times.

Room Tip: Request a lower floor to avoid possible smokey hallway. It just depends on if you get on the top flo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Josephine M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear dicarlo2,

Let me extend my apologies for the issues you had encountered in my inn. Your credit card was not charged on March 2nd, You swiped your card for 5 nights stay and you must have seen the card reader had a preauthorization of $274.00 .On check out date March 7th,. the folio you received only charged your card $265.50 and the safe charges were taken off as per your request. I can not see where $548.00 was coming from. Pending authorizationi would normally show in guests' statement. The approval number the inn had on your card was 063414.
Regarding the hallway smoke, my staff stood in the rooms close to your first room 227 and did not find any smoke activity. When you mentioned to me about the 5th cloor hallway when you had transferred in 501, I did not smell smoke but a strong cologne smell. I called you right away and informed you of my findings. We are 100 percent compliant about anyoone who violates the smoking policy and guests do not have to cover it up as they get charged $200.00 smoking fee. In regards to the busted pipe, my desk clerk, JB, did his very best to change the guests who had expressed wet floors in their rooms and the hallway. This is something that we can not control but my staff and I would do our utmost ability to accomodate and give the guest the room change when incidents like this happes. The luggage carts were mostly taken to accomodate the guests who took them to change rooms at that time.

I assure you that we would like our guests to be comfortable and we take pride in getting things done right away as we are passionate about our commitment to your guests.

Thank you for sharing us your review as I will share it with my staff.
Thank you for staying with us and as a Redi card member you would continue staying at the Red Roof Inn chain.

jmyers@redroof.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Easy on and off I95 on south side, walking distance to Applebee's and Cracker Barrel. Exceptionally clean, helpful, friendly, and effecient check in and out. Very comfortable beds. Don't hesitate, just book it .

• Stayed February 2013
Josephine M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Cheman7,

We thank you for the great review and delighted that you found our hotel very accessible to I-95 and surrounding restaurants. It is nice to know that you made your choice in our hotel.
Please do not forget to go the Red Roof Inn Website often to check on occasional promotions.
I will share your review to my staff.

We look forward in your upcoming visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Just checked in and this is a great room! Was a little skeptical when we walked into the lobby because there were soda or tea spills/spots all over the floor in front of the elevators and in front of the check in counter in several places and was hoping it wouldn't carry over into the rooms as far as cleanliness goes... Our room is newly renovated and looks great and couldn't be happier with it! Nice big bed and am glad they give a nice military discount! As far as I know they don't have any kind of breakfast but they do have room service for lunch and dinner. There is a Cracker Barrel next door though, so will go there in the morning! After searching many hotels tonight and having them all be at full capacity & actually checking into one only to get to our floor and it wreak of weed and have to check back out (Microtel next door) it was nice to finally find one and it be so nice! Thanks Red Roof Inn!!

• Stayed February 2013
Josephine M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for review. We truly appreciate your comments and will share it with my staff. I will definitely remind my desk clerks to check the condition of the lobby and check in area throughout their shifts. My staff and I work hard to make every guests"' stay as comfortable as possible.

We would love to see you once again when you travel in Jacksonville.

Please let me know when I could be of assistance to you.

Yours in Hospitality
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We were in Jacksonville for a concert at the arena, and picked this based on all the great reviews. We weren't disappointed to say the least - in fact, we were very impressed. I have to say, this changed my impression of Red Roof Inns overall - never considered staying at one before. The grounds, lobby and room were all nicely decorated and clean. Very, very clean. Nice bed, nice desk/workspace, and a safe if you need it. Bathroom was just as clean, good water pressure, clean & thick towels. No breakfast, no hair dryer but we didn't need those things anyhow. For such an inexpensive rate, we were thrilled.

Dear Memfizgir

We appreciate your great review. The hotel had been transformed according to our guests" needs.
I will share your comments to my staff. We at the Red Roof Inn pride ourselves in delivering clean rooms and great customer service. We hope that you will use my inn and other inns in the near future.

Please let me when you will be in town.

Pensacola, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was easy to locate, clean and very reasonably priced. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay again. I had an upgraded king room that had been remodeled. Bed was very comfy. First floor of hotel was still under construction, but you wouldn't have known just by staying there. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Josephine M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for the great review. Our hotel is indeed located and is accessible to I-95. We love that you had a great sleep in our new Serta Beds. I will share this positive comment to my staff. We will see you soon and by that time the first floor is already done.

Jackson, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Manager took care of us after a lousy stay in a nearby hotel. Booked our reservation herself. Room was very clean and quiet with a pet she said always a ground floor a real +++. Will stay there from now on. 5 STAR rating.Nice staff very accomadating.

Room Tip: If you have a pet tell them they will give you a ground floor!!! KIng suite with couch was a great v...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Josephine M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Landstar Lady,

Thank you for the great review. We truly appreciate that inspite of the wide selection of hotels in my area, you chose to stay at my inn. Yes the first and second floors are excellent rooms for our guests like you with friendly pets. We love to take care of them too. I will share your great review with my staff.

We would look forward on your next visit when you get back to Jacksonville. Please mention again that you have a pet so we can better accomodate you on the first floor. You can email me directly when you are ready to book a room.

Have a great weekend.

Gold Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Red Roof location and found the newly remodeled room to be very comfortable and roomy. The service from the staff was excellent. They responded quickly to any requests we had. It was located close to many restaurants and places for entertainment.

Room Tip: The Super King with refrigerator and microwave is superb.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Josephine M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Ms. Diane A,

Thank you for the great review about our newly remodeled rooms. We are happy to give you the quality and comfort that you deserve in my inn and our brand. We know that you have other choices but chose to stay with us. We are truly greatful for your business and loyalty.

Please let us know when your next stay will be and we will be of utmost service to you and your needs. I will certainly share this great comment to my staff.

Have a great week.

jmyers@redroof.com

Been to Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Southpoint? Share your experiences!