“Rochville Motel Hell” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #126 of 131 Hotels in Jacksonville
travelguyusa79
“Rochville Motel Hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Do yourself a favor..This Hotel may look okay in the pictures or from the road but let me tell you it's NOT!! I was in the room for about one half then I noticed Roaches!! And just one Dozens of babies.. As quick as possible I gathered my things and got out of the room. I went to the front desk to complain and the man whom I woke up from sleeping at the front desk said "There's nothing I can do. Roaches are part of life." What!!! maybe part of life but not what I paid for when I rented the room. The next day the Manager offered to refund me $5.00..what a joke..The second issue was the female next door had several male visitor in that short period of time..hmm??

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

We overnighted in Jacksonville on our way to Fort Lauderdale and found this motel via a Florida Visitor's Center. We used a $35 coupon obtained at the Visitor's Center.

The motel was what one would expect in this price range. Our rooms (we took two) were basic but clean. We did not have the same experience with dirty sheets, etc,. that some of the other posters stated, but those posts appear to be several years old, so I think that problem has been resolved. In fact, our room looked as if it had been redecorated in the not too distant past.

The free wireless internet worked well on our 2 laptops.

Although the neighborhood was transitional, there were other motels in close proximity, there was a security guard that patrolled regularly on a golf cart, and we didn't feel unsafe.

There were a number of restaurants within easy driving distance (I perhaps would not walk at night in this neighborhood) and a Wal-Mart was nearby where we bought snacks for the next day's trip.

Check-in was professional and quick and all the employees we encountered were pleasant and friendly.

The only negative thing I can report is that the continental breakfast was spartan, consisting of coffee (which was good), juice (canned, maybe?), and a pastry sealed in plastic wrap (the type one buys in bulk for supplying vending machines).

I would stay here again if I needed basic accommodations for a single night.

• Liked — Rooms were clean, in good repair, and at a reasonable price.
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

-dangerous neighboorhood, not a family place to stay.
-continental breakfast consists of concentrated o.j. and a honey bunn which is typically found in vending machines.

I had to stay there due due to a visit of the car dealership accross the street. This hotel should be torn down. The front desk personell are very impersonal and made it feel like it was a chore for them to greet me and book my one night (one night to many) stay. There was a hotel 8 next door and I'm regretting not checking in over there.
Utterly disgusting!!!!
A Definite vacation ruiner!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Albany NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

It is not a safe neighborhood!!!! Don't go or you will be sorry. I want to warn other travelers that the hotel is not in a safe neighborhood of Jacksonville, and should never go there for any reason. We did not stay there it was so bad we left. But am in fear of others going and staying in a unsafe area. I recently read a review about the cockroaches that were everywhere there, but that is truly the least of the concerns. Within 5 seconds of opening my car door we were solicited for prostitution and drugs. And we were told by the front desk not to walk outside alone because it wasn’t safe. It is not even a half a star hotel where transients live and hookers and drug dealers frequent. It was a very scary ordeal for me and my family who went to Jacksonville to attend our fathers funeral. I asked that the hotel be removed from the orbitz site but since it hasn't been the least I can do for other travelers is leave a review. I would never want another person to unwittingly book a room there. And will never book through Orbitz again. I had no idea Orbitz didn’t assign the star level rating to the hotels featured on their site, that they simply let the hotel do it themselves. This puts travelers at risk. It is unconceivable to me why this takes place. I believe other travelers should be made aware of this so as well as leaving a review on every travel site I can. I am contacting the better business bureau about Orbitz conduct and the conduct of the hotel. Both in Florida and in NY.

• Liked — nothing honestly don't go
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
st pete, fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

We had paid in full for two nights stay, Thursday and Friday (yesterday and today) and it came to about $100 (which on the road from wisconsin and back is how much we pay for 3 nights). The first night it was your average creepy ,drunks, scary kids but we were ok with it. Tonight after a long night of work we returned to the hotel around midnight. We tried to go to sleep and half an hour after we were in bed i started hearing banging, then hear a woman creanight "Nooooo!!! Stooop!!Help!!!!" very lound and crying. I heard another bang and she stopped for a few minutes when she started screaming again for help. The only reason she would be screaming for help and crying for half an hour is if someone was hurting her. After honestly being scared for our lives, we went up to the front desk and told the man begind the desk that there is someone screaming for help and crying above our room and we were terrified. He told us he would get his "security guys" to check it out. So we sat outside watching for a police car to drive by and nothing happened for 15- 20 min. Finally a cop car pulled up to the side of the hotel and the man inside sat on his cellphone for about 10 min. not getting out of his car. At this point it was about 1:30 am and we decided it was not worth it to stay there. We did not pay $50 to hear people being tortured and beaten,and the only reason we were there was to sleep, which now was not an option. we went to the front desk and he would not refund us the money.It is absolutely unethical to no refund a client when you own a hotel bussiness and when your client is unable to sleep or feels unsafe because of loud voices. We turned our key is and went to sleep in a parkinglot.

Honestly, this hotel should be shut down. I would write a formal letter to the corporation, I would sue them if I could but those people are absolutely nuts. I have never felt so scared for my life in a hotel or any place before. We were waiting for a bullet to come through our ceiling. DO NOT go there. You're better off sleeping in your car.

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — there was no customer servise what so ever. it is a scary and unsafe place.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

Please please do not give this hotel your business!! the reason we went was because we found a cupon for $40 dollars on a sunday (this was last night)and we were looking for a cheap place to stay in for a couple of hours until we were ready to leave to go back to atlanta. it ended up coming to $65 and we paid because it was already so late (12 a.m.) first of all our room was facing a ghetto.no joke. and we could already see the drunks and prostitutes walk by. we thought the inside of the room would be better though. boy were we wrong. our room was a non-smoking room and it smelt strongly of smoke. there were holes in the wall, and in the comforter, and ants and roaches crawling everywhere. the carpet which was supposed to be tan had black stains all over it. we pulled back the comforter and saw that clearly the sheets had not been washed.so we had to sleep on top of the nasty comforter. after 2 hours of sleeping we get a call (at 2 a.m.) with no one on the line. we decided this was just TOO much and for fear of our car being broken into, left the hotel and ended up sleeping in a parking lot miles away. we came back at 8 o'clock to make sure we didn't leave anything and to check out. as i was sitting on the bed, i decided to reach over and look at a brochure of local hotels. as i opened it, i saw a plastic baggie with marijuana in it! this was the worst hotel experience i had ever had!! only the scum of the earth stays there.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2005

I would never have stayed there had it known been for the annual Georgia Floida football game. A lot of prostitues walk around the area, as well as druggies. If you stay, make sure you ask for a non smoking room, because the smoking ones are nasty. The bathroom is pretty nasty. We actually had to move rooms because our shower stopped working at 8pm.

Some rooms have microwaves and mini fridges, some dont... yet they still charge the exact same for all rooms. Bed sheets had pubic hair on them, asked front desk for a clean pair around mindight and he said he couldnt do a thing because he didnt have access to the laundry, or anything. I asked if we could grab clean sheets from another room, and he said "there are no clean sheets in the hotel". The guy hung up on the phone with me, a real --. We ended up putting a sleeping bag over the bed, and slept on that. We eventually got clean sheets, but the security guard asked me what happened to the old sheets, as if we had messed them up somehow. Anyway, some of the front desk people were friendly, others were quite the opposite.

We got there on Wednesday, and by Friday it was packed full of other college students down for the game, which made the stay much more pleasant and safe. Overall, it was a dump. Try the Ramada Inn South, only a couple of miles away and much cleaner overall and in a better area. We stayed there for the 2004 game.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Scottish Inn? Share your experiences!