“Big Conference Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Big Conference Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Had a good stay at the Jacksonville Hyatt Regency Riverfront. The front desk was efficient and checked me into a nice riverfront room with a great view of the St John's River with swimming dolphins and boats making for an interesting view. They accepted my Hyatt awards card and gave me free wifi which was unexpected and nice to have. The room also had speedy ethernet service that I used for uploading some images. A free newspaper was also delivered on one of three mornings, but that service was apparently erratic. The hotel is a bit dated, with a lot of 1980s wallpaper along the hallways and in the rooms, as well as that tragic, flowery, Florida art work one would expect to find around here. The hallways are also excessively long, and we ended up at the end of one of them, with about a 3-minute walk to the elevator toting luggage. Not a problem for me, but my aging colleague was not happy. The upside to that is the hotel is large enough to host a big conference and allow all attendees to stay at the conference hotel, so I guess that's a plus. We ate at one of the hotel restaurants Trellises, which was good. The breakfast buffet was not included in the room rate, and costly at $18.95, so we opted to eat snacks in our rooms. Room service was about the same price for breakfast. The tv in the room was okay, remote barely worked, and not that many channels, but again pretty typical for a big conference hotel. The room was a good size, and had a sink/bar area separate from the bathroom. Some tea would have been nice, instead of all coffee. I did not visit the hotel amenities/club floor with spa, pool, gym, etc., but they did have one. The hotel is sited fairly well, in downtown, with an easy walk to several restaurants. Lots of connectors and bridges make it easy to get just about anywhere from this location by car, including the beaches or down to St. Augustine. The hotel parking is pretty efficient--they give you a key card on check in to come and go as you please from the garage, without having to deal with valets, and the garage is just across a non-busy street and a few steps from the room elevators. Or you can choose valets, if that's your thing. Overall, not bad. I would stay here again for a conference. No major complaints.

Room Tip: Riverfront rooms are great, if you can get one. Dolphins swim up the St John's River, and a lot...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront during your conference. We appreciate your feedback and suggestions. At Hyatt we thrive on learning about our guests likes and dislikes. If you are ever back in Jacksonville, we hope you will stay with us again.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Norfolk, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt this March. The rooms are okay, nothing spectacular. The views on the River side are very nice and worth the small bump in price. The bar was okay, but as a beer drinker, I was less than impressed by a bar that uses an insulated cooler to hold the beer. But the staff is top notch and we only used the bar to meet friends at the beginning and end of the nights.

The pool area on the roof was very nice, but I would imagine it gets very crowded very quick. During our stay the weather wasn't really pool-worthy.

Room Tip: The river view is worth the upgrade
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Ski_n_Tee,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed here as it was the host hotel for the Gate River run and loved it. The staff was helpful and responsive. The view was as good as you can get in Jacksonville and we will return there. We encountered one minor problem and it was taken care of so rapidly that I won't even mention it.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I travel to Jacksonville basically every other week for business, and have had the misfortune of staying at this Hyatt far too many times (it's been close to eight or nine times). After a several month respite, I ended up at the Hyatt again, and... I'm counting down the days till I can go back home.

Every other time I come here, I'm told that wifi is not complimentary for a different reason, either that it's only for Hyatt Gold Pass members or first time stays or that they never give out complimentary wifi. (My coworkers, on the other hand, were provided the complimentary wifi password - we're booked on the same reservation, and we all have the Gold Pass numbers. Not sure why a different rule applies to me.)

One of the times I stayed here, I walked into the bathroom to find hair all over the shower wall. Not my hair - the hair of the person who'd stayed there before me.

As for the card in the room that says "Hyatt Has It"? Yeah... no. The answer is always "no" whether I ask the front desk for a yoga mat (as I did today - they said yes at the desk, and then no, calling up to my room) or a laptop charger, as I had on a previous trip (I did get to borrow that charger - another person at the front desk contradicted the lady I talked to, and without even blinking, she went on to lecture me about how I had to return the charger or else have to pay for it).

The only good thing is the rooms have a nice view - if you're lucky - and because of its location in downtown Jacksonville, it has quick access both to the office and to the interstate. The rooms are old and dated and the beds passable. The hallways are dimly lit.

Long story short, I dread the weeks when my company books me a room at Hyatt. I was hopeful, that this time would be different than the other less-than-satisfactory stays I've had in the past, since I've had a several month gap, but it's really not off to a good start.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Amy K.,

I’m sorry you have not experienced consistency while staying with us. I apologize for any inconveniences you have received during your stays. If you would like to discuss your stays in more depth, please contact me directly. We appreciate your business.

Kind Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stopped here for a night on our annual roadtrip so we didn't have time to appreciate everything J-ville had to offer, but I'm glad we stayed here. Loved the picturesque riverfront and the bridges. A beautiful setting. And the hotel is within walking distance to several pubs and restaurants, so we were able to get a drink and a quick bite late in the evening. The room was nothing special and could use some updating. But this strikes me as a hotel that does lots of conferences, etc., so maybe the state of the rooms aren't a big priority. Still, no complaints about our stay.

Room Tip: Definitely ask when you check in about getting a view of the river. It's worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Best hotel stay ever! We live in jacksonville but stayed at the Hyatt as part of a wedding party. This service was wonderful from the people at the front desk to the valet to the cleaning staff. Our room was very clean with a great view of the river and had large window that opened. Breakfast at the restaurant was very good but a bit pricey. We plan on staying there again for a little weekend getaway. Thanks to everyone at the Hyatt!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed here for the Gate River Run 15k with my husband and several running friends. We got a great rate for the weekend. Loved the location of the hotel, walking distance from many attractions, including the race. We were supposed to have shuttles to the race but they never came (not sure what happened there), so thankfully it was a nice walk. Lobby area very clean, staff very friendly. Lots of food and drink options including an Einstein Bagel on the outside of the property. Room was spacious, lots of electrical outlets, a/c worked great and very comfortable bed and pillows. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront? Share your experiences!