“Special Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Sanibel Island, Florida
“Special Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is a very nice facility. Convenient to the Jacksonville airport, Jacksonville and I-95. Our room was immaculate and the hotel staff helpful and courteous. The only improvement that I can see would be the breakfast fare which wasn't bad, but not nearly to the level of the rest of the operation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed at this Residence Inn last year for one night before going on our Carnival Cruise. The hotel was nice and we got a studio Queen room which has a full kitchen, large fridge, microwave, etc. and a living room area with a couch, desk and TV. I booked the reservation through the AAA Travel website and got a good rate. The reservation was in my name but I added my boy friends name to the reservation to it as well so they would have it. The rate also included a full hot breakfast unlike many of the other hotels which offer a limited or continental breakfast. When I made my reservation, I called the hotel to inquire about the free shuttle they advertised and if it would take us to the cruise port. I was told by the front desk clerk that there was a shuttle that would take you pretty much anywhere you wanted to go for free (we subsequently found out that’s not quite true). I also informed the clerk prior to our arrival that my boy friend would be arriving a few hours before me on a different flight and I wanted to make sure they would let him in the room. She told me it was no problem and said he would put his name on the file. Yea right ! As we all know sometimes people don’t always do what they say there they are going to do (I have kids….I know that first hand!). I told my BF he might want to call to confirm prior to his arrival which he did. Long story short they had no note on the file and the manager said the reservation was only for 1 person rather than 2 and had no record of him on the reservation. Huh?? My confirmation showed 2 people and since when do they ask the name of other people staying in the room?? I called AAA and they spoke to the manager and got it all straightened out and the manager told the AAA agent that it would be no problem for him to check in early and they would make a note of it on the reservation. My BF called the hotel in the morning before he left for Florida and spoke to the manager and she assured him it would all be fine. Can you guess what happened? Jim arrived only to be told there was no note on the file and they can’t allow him to get into the room because it’s in my name!!! The manager had gone home. The clerk called her and finally after an hour they let him in the room. JEEZ! Needless to say we were not happy campers about this.

The room was very nice and the bed was comfortable. The hotel was clean and had a nice patio area outside with a fire pit, chairs and a BBQ grill area. There was also a really nice basketball court.

After my BF was able to check in he asked the shuttle driver to take him to Wal-Mart. The shuttle driver was friendly and took him to the store and waited for him. There is a nice shopping area and several restaurants near the hotel. The shuttle ride was free but my BF did tip the driver. The same shuttle driver promptly picked me up at the airport a few hours later.

It was Saturday morning….the long awaited day of our cruise. We enjoyed the hot breakfast and realized we needed to head back to Wal-Mart for a few essentials we had forgotten to pack. My BF forgot to pack his shorts and swimsuit – oops! We asked for the shuttle to take us and we were told by the front desk clerk she would call for it but the shuttle doesn’t normally run on Sat?? A black SUV pulled up after a bit. It didn’t look like the Residence Inn van we took last night. The driver took us to the store and waited for us. He did charge us $12 per person. Which I thought wasn’t too bad but it certainly wasn’t a free shuttle. I told the desk clerk that we also needed the shuttle to take us to the cruise port. She set up an 11:00 pick up along with some others that were going. Unfortunately we were running a bit behind due to the last minute trip to Wally world so we missed the 11:00 by 5 minutes. The clerk (who had a deer in the headlights look the entire time we spoke to her) told us they had to leave without us but the driver would be back in about 10 minutes to pick us up. Thirty minutes later no driver. Apparently the driver from the night before was the same one who would be back to get us. He had given my BF his business card so my BF called the limo company and was told the driver had taken some folks to the port and now was off for the rest of the day! I guess no one was coming back for us. My BF asked the company to send another driver. Another driver showed up 10 minutes later and was very friendly. I would recommend staying at the Residence Inn but I would not suggest relying upon the staff for anything or relying on the shuttle.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

From the moment we walked out of baggage claim at the airport, we were greeted by a nice young lady who shuttled us to the hotel (only a few miles away). When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly front desk staff and immediately given our room keys. The 1st night, we were told that Buffalo Wild Wings caters every 3rd Tuesday of the month so we were lucky to hit it on our first night. Being from the Buffalo area, we love our wings! So this was a nice surprise. From 5:30 - 7:30 Monday - Thursday, the managers put on a 2 hour reception gathering in their lounge area. It included (night 1) 10 different types of chicken wings, a small salad bar, some summer cold salads, beer & wine, lemonade & tea. The 2nd night we found out that they were having a summer bbq style gathering which included hot dogs and hamburgers cooked on their large outdoor grill (on the patio next to the cool fire pit), baked beans, salad, beer & wine, etc. Day 3 we checked out and took off on our 4 day Bahamas cruise. During our time at the Residence in these 3 days, we got to know all the staff & Managers by first name basis. They are so friendly and really made us feel like family. They catered to our every whim, asking to clear our table, if we wanted more of anything at the social, etc. There is also a full breakfast buffet every morning and it's not just continental. They even had turkey bacon which I was so glad about!!! The woman who did the breakfast in the morning is also included in that long list of everyone that was super friendly. I don't think I've ever stayed at a hotel that had such a warm & friendly staff.

Rooms - the rooms are spacious, clean and have everything you need for a long or short stay. Our first night we experience a bed that was a bit uncomfortable but my husband and I are used to sleeping in a King and it was a Queen. We also both have bad backs so to someone else it may have been fine. They didn't hesitate to move us to a different room on our 2nd night and the bed was much more comfortable, even though it was a queen.

Amenities - the Pool area and hot tub were always clean and in good working order. It was very quiet and relaxing (minus a family with a few screaming kids). The grounds are very well maintained as well.

Did I mention even Blaine, the maintenance guy, was super friendly? The place has staff that really care about their jobs and the overall feel and appearance of their hotel. This is such a huge plus!

After our cruise, we returned back to the hotel for a 1 night post cruise stay. We had a late flight the next day so we got to stay on the property while they stored our bags for us. They even let us partake in the dinner at 5:30 even though we were technically checked out at 1 (late check out too!) On this night, they gave us a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite with a fireplace. It was beautiful! The housekeeping staff is wonderful and very friendly too.

To recap: for a long or short term stay, this hotel is total perfection! No, it's not a big massive resort, but the intimacy and size make it so special. I never encountered one staff member, no matter what their position, who did not greet me in the hallway, elevator or outside the building, without a smile on their face. I truly did not want to leave. We are looking forward to going back in the near future to see our new family!

A special shout out to Katie, Wendi, Rebecca, Vicki, Blaine & all the shuttle crew who took us around, back and forth to River City Marketplace (complimentary shuttle) and for making us feel so much a part of your family.

From your travel agent friend,
Karen :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Gadsden, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Can't say enough good things about this Residence Inn. Pleasant staff, great breakfast, great amenities, 24/7 shuttle to the airport, and free parking for a week. I will stay there anytime that I'm traveling. Give it a try.

Room Tip: I received a two bedroom but only asked for a one bedroom. relaxing after a long flight.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Anthony, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Wonderful stay! Yummy breakfast, comfy beds and pillows, and helpful staff. Good location to the airport and they allow you to park your car there for free for 7 days, after 7 days its $5.00 a day. Pets are allowed as well! We stayed in the handicapped room. Had a great roll in shower as well!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We arrived very late on a Friday night (almost 10pm). After flying all day from California, we were pretty hungry so we walked over to Ruby Tuesday. I'll review that restaurant separately. We got back to our room at almost midnight and were pretty tired. Our room was a 1 bedroom suite for 4 adults. It was quite small for a 1 bedroom suite. I was surprised and expected a larger room (compared to my experience at Embassy Suites) The kitchen featured a refrigerator, sink and dishwasher. There were 2 TV's (one in the bedroom and one in the main area with the sleeper sofa) The room only had 2 pillows on the bed and no pillows for the sofa sleeper. I went back to the guest services desk to request additional pillows and there was no one there! I looked around and couldn't find anyone. I tried calling the hotel phone # from my cell thinking that the employee may have been in a back room somewhere. The phone continually rang but no one picked up. I waited for 15 minutes. Finally, the employee appeared from the back. I don't know where he was all that time, but I was pretty irritated. He took some extra pillows from one of the vacant rooms. The queen size bed was somewhat soft and not very comfortable. The bed took up about 95% of the space in that room. We only stayed there one night since we were taking a cruise the next day. The complimentary breakfast the next morning was nice. On Saturdays, it is served from 7-10am. I arrived at 9:40 and noticed there was no milk. When I brought it to the attention of the server, she replied "well, breakfast is almost over" as she walked in the kitchen area to retrieve a small individual milk carton. I didn't say anything, but I was annoyed as there was still 20 minutes left for breakfast. They did not have made to order omelettes, but they did have a variety of cereals, scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, coffee, etc. There was a very comfortable seating area there with many sofas, chairs and a large plasma TV near the fireplace in the dining area. It was a comfy and cozy area. The TV features many channels and the remote was nearby so we were able to change the channel if we wanted to. I did enjoy my stay there and it was a very good value. My room was only $82.00 plus tax. There is a small half basketball court adjacent to the front entry area and noticed several people playing out there. They had a free airport shuttle that picked us up within 15 minutes at the curb. Very convenient. I would stay here again, but I will probably select the 2 bedroom suite next time.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suites are small; try a 2 bedroom suite instead for more room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
South Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011 via mobile

On the positive side first, the hotel is located in a row of hotels very close to JAX airport. There are restaurants nearby including a Ruby Tuesday and a Longhorn right next door. There is a nice little basketball court and a nice pool area. The breakfast area seems adequate. The front desk man was quite pleasant.

Now for the negatives...the hotel is in desperate need of a housekeeping upgrade. My room was simply dirty. There was literally a nose remnant on the wall of the shower. The carpets did not look they had been vacuumed. There was noticeable loose dirt on the couch. The refrigerator was dented with a large scratch across it. The air conditioning unit was awful and made loud clicking noises at all times when on. The decor of the room was dated and in need of an upgrade. The televisions were small.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Residence Inn Jacksonville Airport? Share your experiences!