“Pleasantly suprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 131 hotels in Jacksonville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pleasantly suprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed for 1 night to catch the Fascination Cruise the next day. I will say considering this a 2star hotel i was expecting the WORSE! They surprised me b/c the rooms was as pictured, pretty clean for a 2star, nice TV on the wall. The breakfast was just Continental but looked clean and edible. The airport shuttle was very convenient for us as we did not arrive until about 10PM. We also used there round-trip cruise ship shuttle...very convenient! Dropped us off at the port and picked us up at the port afterwards and dropped us off at the airport...no problem! I also realized i left my wallet in one of the rooms when i was at the port and the shuttle driver took me back to the hotel where an employee (a guy), idk his name, retrieved my wallet and to my surprise NOTHING was missing. I really appreciate them going over and beyond for there guest. I will stay here again if i am sailing.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and did not have any noise problems or other complaints i read. PS: Wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Newport, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

For $41, room, internet and airport shuttle. No frills and clean. The hotel is close to the airport. There are restaurants that deliver and you can walk to Subway restaurant. 2nd floor has a laundry room and small cardio gym.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My family and I just recently stayed 3 nights at the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites.
We first stayed in room 201. Now this first room the beds are very nice and comfortable. No real problems with this room. We payed the coupon rate for this room of $39.99 plus a an amenity fee of $2.50 added on to the rate. With tax it cost like $48.80 a night. On our 2nd night we had to move to room 212 as our other room had been reserved. We had to pay $93.00 for our 2nd room for Saturday night. Now I normally don't complain but the front desk person said oh it's higher because of a cruise that's about to go out and the people that stay there use this hotel. The other hotels in the area were cheaper. Best Western &79.00 plus tax. The Red Roof Inn $61.00 a night. But these hotels first hold the amount and then charge the amount again when you check out. They say it's the Bank's fault when you use your debit card but that's a lie. They are the one's holding this amount not your bank. So basically you're out $148.00 for usually 3 to 5 business days until the hold amount drops off. So that's why we stayed that night at $93.00 because they charge the amount right away. NOT WORTH THAT RATE!! I also had no choice as I just recently started a job and didn't want to have to worry that my family would have to hang around until 3pm to check into another place. Paltry breakfast. Only bagels, cereal and stale dry muffins. The juice is okay. Orange, juice drink.(not true orange juice)apple juice(my kids liked that)and cranberry juice.(my wife liked it)24 hour coffee. No real space to eat breakfast.
Okay our second room had several issues. The microwave door sounded like it was broken when you tried to open it. It did work but sounded broken. The bathroom door didn't close. I did mention these issues and the maintenance person was nice and said it was due to the fact that they just recently changed their carpet and he would have to remove the door once we checked out.
Poor water pressure in the shower and the water had a sulfur smell to it. It seems like all the hotels in the area have that smell.
Plenty of cable tv channels and a nice flat screen tv on the wall.
This was a Microtel hotel and the did a nice job renovating the rooms. No more mirrors behind the bed. New beds, new tvs. They just need to improve some of these minor issues and at least charge a comparable rate to the chain hotels.
They also need more parking as they let people park their cars when they take a cruise. This leave little parking space for those that need the space that are actually staying.
We also had a rude family next to us the last night in room 212 stomping and opening and closing the door letting it bang. I should have called the front desk and normally do but was too tired. Overall an average stay. Might stay again but trying to get into our own place now that we have relocated to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor and side facing the parking lot. Don't take a room facing the hotel in the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Leah K, General Manager at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We're sorry to hear about the very minor problems this guest experienced during their stay. We cannot always offer coupon rates to our guests. If our occupancy is high the rates go up accordingly. It's the 'law' if supply and demand. Why did the guest extend at a rate he didn't think was worth the value? Was it because he didn't want his family to have to wait until 3pm to check into a cheaper hotel? No, it's because sometimes convenience is value.
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

After I picked up my luggage at the airport, I called for the shuttle. It arrived in about 10 min, which is reasonable. The hotel is close to the airport. I stayed in a room with a queen size bed. I would recommend this hotel because:
- The room was clean.
- The bedding smelled fresh.
- Good TV channel variety.
- They provide soap, shampoo, conditioner.
- The room had a microwave, small fridge, and coffeemaker.
- The breakfast selection included apples, oranges, muffins, cereal, juice, milk. The coffee machine in the breakfast area is available 24 hours.
- Check-in and check-out were fast.
For the price I paid for the room, you can't beat it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate your time and effort sharing your hotel experience on this website. We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you so much for writing a much detailed review. This will greatly help other travelers to decide which hotel they will pick in Jacksonville area.

Thank you for choosing the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites! We look forward to your next visit.
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This location offers the following: Very nice facility,very clean, very pleasant staff,very nice continental breakfast, very good shuttle service to the airport, very easy access to a number of restaurants, superlative value. In short, one of the best values a traveler can find. Would reccomend it without reservation.

Room Tip: Expect that all rooms are good, perhaps the second floor a bit quieter. Stayed in a second floor roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I can't thank you enough for your kind words. We strive so hard to accomplish our goal and we are glad we did. It was a pleasure to receive such good comments from you. It is our number one priority to provide a clean and comfortable accommodation at a very reasonable price!

Baconton, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Do Not make a reservations to stay at this hotel. I had 3 reservations and called and cancelled them 24 hours in advance and the hotel did not cancel them and still billed my credit card for the 3 rooms! I will never deal with this hotel again. Please keep this in mind when you are making a reservation with them. We have called the hotel several times and each time they will not help me. I guess their employees make no mistakes ever!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
I offered to refund the guest for the "no show" charge if they could provide a cancellation number. They weren't able to do so, and so the charge stands. When the guest made a reservation I'm sure they expected to receive a confirmation number. If they didn't receive confirmation numbers, they would have contacted the hotel to confirm their reservations. Likewise, if they indeed cancelled their reservations, they would expect to receive a cancellation number. If they didn't receive a cancellation number, they would have contacted the hotel to confirm the reservations' cancellation. It doesn't appear that the call for cancellation was ever made to begin with. We were holding 3 rooms for these guests on a sold out night. Not only they didn't comply with our hotel's cancellation policy but that policy also applies to the whole hotel/travel industry.
Archdale, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here to cruise out of Jacksonville on Carnival cruise line. The hotel offers a shuttle service and free parking for the length of cruise. Close to a shopping center with Walmart and many other stores and restaurants. Excellent stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Leah K, General Manager at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
We are delighted to hear that you had a very satisfactory stay with us. It is our number one priority to provide a clean and comfortable accommodation. We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our cruise package. We offer the best deal in town.

We look forward to see you on your next cruise!

Thank you!

Been to Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!