“Get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #126 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
west virginia
“Get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

I can only a few positive things about this hotel such as easy access from the interstate and the price was attractive. But beware you will truely get what you pay for. The rooms are small which I expected with a Microtel but the condition of the room I did not expect. It was barely clean, there were still cigarette butts under the desk and I truely don't believe the room had been vacuumed in a while. The bathroom was dirty, I had to clean the tub out before taking a shower, only to find that there was only HOT water. I was in town for a football game and truely just wanted somewhere to sleep, I had not plans of spending time in the room. And the hotel is only a short distance to the stadium. If I stay in Jacksonville again I will spend the extra money for a better hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tennessee USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

Horrible - where to begin... BED was lumpy, soft and sank into the center. Had to fold up the bedspread and lay it under the sheet to fill in the dip and still ended up laying on the pillows just to be somewhat comfortable. Sheets looked like someone had slept on them, including HAIR on them. The walls and ceiling were so thin that you could hear people walking, hear the bathroom fans running, etc. Person above us was still making noise at 2:30 a.m. and I couldn't get to sleep. Every time someone closed a door on our floor it made our door move and sounded like someone was coming in our door. Bathroom fixtures were nasty with corrosion, not clean plus door frame and vents were rusty. Wallpaper was coming off in bathroom. Didn't even try the 'breakfast' of prepackaged junk. What a joke. Don't waste your money, put it towards a nicer place and ALWAYS ask to see the actual room you will be getting before you pay, make sure you lay on the bed too. It's not worth saving a few dollars if you are tired the next day.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Warning...Do not stay here! It is not like the other Microtels that you are gone to in the past. The bathroom was filthy with hair on the floor. The tub was dirty. The towels were dirty too. The room had a horrible odor which was probably because the air conditioner was filthy. The people that were coming in and out of the hotel were very suspect. One woman was trying to check in without a credit card and cussed out the woman at the front desk because she was asked to put down a $25 deposit. To say the least, I did not feel safe. Oh.. did I mention, I'm from NYC?Don't waste your money here. I kept thinking the whole time I was there that I was going to catch an infectious disease.

• Liked — Close to Applebee's and Industrial/Corporate area.
  • Disliked — Everything was horrible!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We were supposed to spend 2 nights at the Microtel, but it was so awful that we left after the first night and moved to the Radisson, which was 5 minutes away and definitely worth the extra $30/night. The rooms were tiny and musty, the bed sheets were covered with stains and looked like they had not been washed after the previous occupant checked out, and there was some kind of food all over the one chair in the room. There were people talking loudly in the hallway and going in and out of nearby rooms until 2 am. The complimentary breakfast consisted of pre-packaged bagels and muffins which were stored in the refrigerator. Yuck!

The only nice thing I can say is that they did not give us a hard time about checking out a day early, but I would not stay at this hotel again, nor would I recommend it to others. There are several other hotels in the area that I'm sure would be a better choice than this one.

• Liked — checking out a day early
  • Disliked — Dirty sheets, Breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Savannah, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

Looking at the previous reviews, I was not sure if I should stay here. I have had good luck with Microtel before and decided to take a chance on it. My experiance was totaly different than the previous reviews.
The room was a typical microtel, room, a small room, with a queen bed. It was very clean, bed was comfortable, everything was to my satisfaction. Even though the motel was booked, it was very quiet. I had no problems with hot water, like one of the previous reviews. The staff was very helpful and friendly.
If I need to stay in Jacksonville again, I will stay here. I recommend this motel for anyone needing a short stay in the Jacksonville Area. In that part of Jacksonville, it was the most inexpensive chain hotel in the area. Hotel website had very good rates, only problem with it, was that once you reserved room, you could not cancel it without a 100% cancelation fee.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando. Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2007

1st thing noticed: motel employee left lobby bathroom without flushing toilet, and no soap nor towels in that bathroom.

In room, sheets were soiled and had hairs on them. The front desk said informed me they only cleaned sheets once weekly! I kid you not. I called Hyatt International (which owns Microtel) and was informed that was not hotel policy, and that I should go to the desk and get a clean set of sheets. As this was a late-night check in, and no other rooms were available, I did so, and changed my own bed.

Upon making formal complain both to international and the Jacksonville franchise, I was sent a form letter from JAX Microtel offering a 10% refund, which I declined. I felt no honest effort was made to apology, nor assure me that this was an aberrant situation.

I will be following up with the Jacksonville Health Dept. I would advise, "Stay away from this one, unless you are comfortable with filth."

• Disliked — filthiness
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Flordian
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

Now curently a Microtel. Bathroom wasn't the cleanest. Reserved a King Bed....got a double...with a confirmed, pre-paid reservation. Relatively noisy. If anyone within 10 rooms of you closed their exterior room doors you felt and heard it. Showers were luke warm even with the hot water turned all the way on. In my room the wireless internet strength was low at best. Looks like I will try another hotel in the immediate area next time since I am curently a Mayo Clinic patient. Don't get me wrong the room rate was $20.00 cheaper a night than the others, but I will pay the extra $20.00 in hopes to get a hot shower and a cleaner and quieter room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no hot water, not very clean
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hometown Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!