“Some strengths and some weaknesses” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #28 of 131 hotels in Jacksonville
Grapevine, TX
“Some strengths and some weaknesses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Check in process went well and the staff member was very pleasant. Our second floor room was large and in good shape. Only complaint about room was that there was no refrigerator and the walls/floors were thin. We heard people coming and going all night. I used the gym one of the two days we spent there and it was adequate. We ate breakfast, which we found reasonably-priced, one of the days as well. We were a little disturbed that the cook didn't have her hair pulled back and was coughing, but otherwise it was a decent meal. We felt hotel was a good value overall.

Room Tip: May want a room on a higher floor and facing the back for more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SamFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear travlinfoolintx,
Thank you for being a guest of the Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows. I understand from your review we satisfied your every expectation except for wall thickness. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to provide extra buffers wall to wall without a major renovation or rebuild. We do try our best to accommodate everyone's comfort levels. I appreciate your review and the aspects of which we can improve will be focused on.
Thanks Again!

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

According to the “About” section, “Essentials” subsection, of the Four Points website, it states “Get everything you’re looking for with style and service you want, all at a great price.” Further, it states, “We have what matters most to you...[p]lus lots of other extras you’ll love...” I am happy to report that this property delivered the Essentials and exceeded our expectations for the special, surprise staycation.

My partner reached his one-year anniversary of alcohol recovery/sobriety, which we will be celebrating (again as a surprise) this Saturday, March 9, with many friends from his hometown of Winter Park/Orlando, Ocala, and new friends from Jacksonville.

I like to end with positive feedback, so I will list two minor issues:
1. Entrance canopy: signs of repainting with different shades of the same color and rust on
the overhead beams
2. Keycard deactivation: When we returned to your property after a busy Saturday, our
keycards did not work. When we went to the Front Desk to have them reactivated, we were advised the keycards are deactivated around noon. I do not recall being informed of this and is slightly different than what I am used to for multi-night stays.

Now, on to the highlights, my favorite part.
Carrie, Director of Sales
I sent a terse message after requesting a callback when I booked through the iPhone SPG app. A previous stay at another local property soured my impression on communication, but Carrie more than made up for it. She informed me that the special requests in the comments section would only print on the morning of our arrival, so I profusely apologized for the misunderstanding.

I informed Carrie about my partner’s achievement in remaining sober for one year and also indicated that he had a heavy workload as a University of North Florida student. Carrie offered many options to enhance our stay, from a couple’s spa/massage package at an affiliate spa to a special breakfast menu, as well as flowers and chocolate and my request for a handcrafted carafe of infused water consisting of cucumber and lemon.

When I checked in by gentleman Wade (more on his excellence later), Carrie was actually at the Front Desk with a bowl of white rose petals. She warmly greeted me and accompanied me to our room. Carrie asked how I was doing with the smoking cessation and whether my partner knew about the surprise. As is typical with other Starwood properties, I instantly felt like this business transaction became more personal. Carrie’s warmth and welcome validated my decision to stay here.

As a bonus, Carrie placed us in the corner room on the SPG floor, being sensitive to my partner needing to study and work on projects, and also to keep the elevator noise to a minimum. Carrie understands service and hospitality and executes with competence.

When we entered our room, Carrie and I continued with genuine, not forced, conversation, as she worked her magic setting up the room with rose petals leading from the door to the bed. My partner took at least 24,674 photos. Carrie, you are a rockstar!

Wade, Front Desk Agent
When I checked in, Wade was the kind, warm Front Desk agent. Also quick to flash a smile, he proceeded to explain hotel policies, requested which Gold amenity I wanted, and congratulated me on my partner’s success. Throughout our stay, he remained professional yet warm, and served as an excellent first impression and face of your property.

Because the stay was a surprise, I asked if a keycard could be left at the counter for my partner to pick up when he arrived. Without hesitation, he made another keycard and reserved it for my partner’s arrival.

What truly blew me away was when my partner arrived and told me about his interaction with Wade. My partner told me Wade excused himself from the desk, shook his hand, and congratulated him on his tremendous achievement. Wade’s gesture was unexpected and further proof that your team of associates go out of their way to deliver exceptional service.

Unknown Housekeeping Attendant
When I checked into the room, no detail was spared. I stay at many hotels and have a penchant for noticing the little things. Aside from what looked like a small mildew spot in the corner of the shower, the attendant who turned over the room left it impeccably clean. I filmed a walkthrough not only to document each room we stay in, but also to let others on YouTube view what isn’t captured through photos. Check it out: http://youtu.be/lO38bgz9Td4

The bed was made as if out of an expert handbook, the toiletries were smartly placed in a linear fashion, the towels were folded and placed as if we were staying at a Westin or W. The furniture was clean and arranged in a manner worthy of professional photos for your marketing collateral.

Even the beverage station and condiments were placed to satisfy my OCD tendencies. This unknown attendant deserves recognition for exceptional attention to detail.

Tatyana and Sam, Restaurant Extraordinaires and General Manager
Breakfast 1
I booked the flexible rate with breakfast for a buck. Tatyana warmly greeted us on the first morning and gave us a tour of the buffet area after receiving our meal tickets. The food was delicious and fresh, with a fabulous selection of warm proteins, fruit, and my weakness biscuits and gravy. Tatyana was quick to check on us numerous times during our meal without being obtrusive. What an excellent way to start our day.

Sam, when you stepped in to make my Denver/Western omelet, I asked for the General Manager’s name because I wanted to recognize his leadership. Little did I know that I was speaking with the General Manager who was not above making my omelet because one of your team members was absent. Not only was the omelet perfectly cooked and delicious, but also your leadership demonstrates your commitment to do what it takes to satisfy your guests. You even remembered that Carrie was handling special requests for my partner and me.

Breakfast 2
Tatyana again was all smiles as we were eager to take advantage of the buffet. This time, she asked me if my partner and I wanted to have children. I immediately smiled and told her we want at least three: 2 boys and 1 girl, the middle child. I explained that the elder son would look after the younger two, while the younger ones would pick on their older brother. She laughed and asked when we wanted to start our family. I told her “soon” and her excited reaction gave me the warm fuzzies.

Amanda, Front Desk Agent
When Wade was not at the Front Desk, Amanda was the agent who was also quick to flash a smile, greet me good morning, and to ask if there was anything she could do to enhance our special stay. I let her know the treatment we received was nothing less than 5-star and requested her name so that she could also be recognized. Amanda, you are bubbly and full of energy, when many people aren’t even awake until noon!

For being a value brand, not once did I feel the property was as such. This hotel is now our home base for future staycations!

Room Tip: Join SPG, book early, and communicate your preferences in advance of your stay. If you book last min...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SamFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear MEstoy,
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and personal letter. Oftentimes the employees never hear appreciation directly from a guest for all the effort and dedication they provide daily.
We all strive to make every guest's stay special. I am so pleased that we went so far above your expectations for this celebration.
We look forward to your return.
Tallahassee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Let me say that this was my first encounter with Sheraton, and probably my last. We arrived last Friday to a very nice young man at the front desk. It was quite beautiful inside and we were impressed to say the least, especially since we had saved so much money on Priceline. Our hopes were extremely high at the beginning.

We headed to the room and got in the elevator, and to our surprise thought someone had died in it, or at least passed wind. To our surprise it just smelled like this, all the way up, down the hall and stopped when we entered our room. Honestly we had no idea what it was but we had plans for the night. We checked out their breakfast menu, which is relatively expensive, dropped our bags off in our room, and left for the night.

Arriving back is when things started to go wrong. We came up to our room, relaxed and talked about our plans for the next day. We laid down to find the beds were rock hard, and I mean hard. We thought no matter, it's only two night... right? Wrong.

The walls were so thin that you could hear every little creek and whisper. All night people on the floor above us were slamming doors, talking, kids running up and down the hallway and so on. It was utter insanity trying to sleep with all of this going on.

The bathroom door has to be the worst design I have seen in a hotel, since it's a sliding door and never closes. It is poorly maintained because it makes horrendous noises every time it is opened and closed.

We woke up groggy and half slept and to new people in the lobby which stared us down as we left. No "good morning," "how did you sleep" or even a "Hi." We didn't really care, but being in a more upscale business hotel, we sort of expected it.

We spent our day wondering about Saint Augustine, and got back around 8 that night. The same gentlemen that we met early Friday was there, and he met us with a smile even though he was busy. We got to our room and needed some ice. We opened the bucket to find it full of water and a sloppy wet bag floating inside. Disgusted because the water had been there for at least 2 days since we hadn't gotten ice in it, we called downstairs and spoke with a young lady who said she would send someone up to replace it.

30 minutes came, no one showed up.
45 minutes came, no one showed up.

At the hour mark we took it downstairs to the friendly gentlemen, who apologized, quickly scurried to the back and took care of our problem. He gave us complementary breakfast for the 4 of us, which we used two of the next day. We were graced to sleep another terrible night on the hard beds, and slamming doors.

The next morning was paradise, since it was our last time having to be inside. To say the least, my thoughts of this hotel experience were absolutely negative. In my opinion service and quality like this DOES NOT represent what Sheraton claims to be about, and for that I will hesitate my next return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Justin H,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you were impressed with our decor and staff.
As for the smell of the elevator, I certainly can expect an odor is someone passes gas in a small elevator. This may be something outside of our control at the time! :)
I am surprised by your impression of our pillows. The four key comfort points of the Four Comfort Bed are a deluxe 11.5” Sealy Posturepedic® Plush Top Sleep System featuring a 9-inch high Shock Abzzorber® foundation; 2 inch mattress topper, four large luxurious pillows including two feather and two Euro Square lounging pillows; a decorative and inviting cushioned duvet; and, crisp cotton blend sheets.
Reading,Berkshire,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is a very spacious hotel easy to find in Jacksonville about a few kilometres from the main highway through the city,nice big carpark and friendly staff who know a thing or two about the local area.
Breakfast not included in the rate but the room was big and clean and the bed was comfortable with wifi in the room and flat screen television.Most of the guests looked like the business fraternity,so if it suits them the place must be good.The food was good and it had a good bar area in the lobby.

Room Tip: Being well off the road there is not a problem with traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SamFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Peter S,
Thank you for your poignant review. You touched on all the important aspects of a great stay... comfortable and clean rooms, friendly and welcoming staff, easy location and good food. We would be happy to see you again very soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My first impression of this modern hotel in the eastern portion of Jacksonville, FL, known to the locals as "Southside", was one of surprise as it seemed to not match up with my idea of a hotel property. That impression changed over my recent 3 days staying there as the standard room I ordered was well equipped and relatively comfortable for my trip. My plan was to see the greater city itself and not hang out in the hotel, so in that way the venue served me well with its easy to reach location just off I-295.

I found the service to be very good and marked well by the Breakfast service hosted by a venerable and friendly character named Tatyana. She worked tirelessly to make sure we were happy and I hope the hotel promotes her for awesome service.

I would stay here again, if the need came to be. It was priced well below what we got in return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SamFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear RBThatcher,
Thank you for your recent visit to the Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows. As a specialty select brand we offer Honest, Uncomplicated, Comfort without all of the extra fuss you may find in a full service property. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Clean rooms, a great breakfast and friendly warm staff... all at the right price. That's a convience we take pride in. (much more than utility if you ask me) ;)
HOMESTEAD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

After staying 1 of a 3 night stay at the Ramada I found a deal at this hotel, and I was very pleased. The hotel was very clean, modern, up to date, and crazy affordable price. Check desk was very sweet and pleasant. People were friendly. It felt like my money was well spent. They had a 24 hour fitness center, very comfortable beds, and really clean rooms. Room was quiet, house keeping didn't come early and wake me up. And they had a noon check out which was perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SamFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Tania71,
Thank you for your review of our property. It's great to hear that by moving to our hotel, we made your trip to Jacksonville worth while. We love to hear that you felt the service and quality of comfort you received made your money feel well spent.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I just knew I hit the jackpot at this property with its clean, modern feel and open layout. I bring meetings to the area often so I was thrilled with the convenience right off of I-95 with plenty of restaurant options nearby. My problem came when I slept 0.5 hours due to the stomping, walking, door slamming and bustling way into the wee hours of the night. The staff was accommodating by coming up to listen but it wasn't like a party was going on, just heavy-footed night owls, I guess. Paper thin walls & flooring is a sure fire way to ruin an entire trip due to lack of sleep. If you sleep like a log, this is a perfect location. Otherwise, for the feather-light slumberers, you may need to check in on a day when the hotel is empty.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Butterfly J,
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't sleep well. It can be frustrating to hear others pacing around above you or slamming doors. The ceilings, floors and walls do have sound boards installed to mute typical disturbances. There is little more we can do to provide additional sound buffering after construction has been completed. We are pricing out sleep sachets to go in our rooms to help somewhat. They would contain ear plugs, a sleep mask and aromatherapy items.
Next time you are a guest with us, please request a 4th floor room, so no one is above you and by then, we should have a little welcome bag on your nightstand as well.
Take Care,
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Baymeadows? Share your experiences!