“Ike's meets Hampton Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #66 of 131 Hotels in Jacksonville
Dallas, Texas
“Ike's meets Hampton Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Its really hard to rate a hotel that tried to reinvent the wheel. Trendy....check. Cool bar....check. Pool and fitness center.....check. Overall comfort, well that depends.

If your idea of an uber cool day out is spending endless hour at Ikea, well this may be the place for you. The hotel is styled in a very modern decor and even smells nice when you walk in. Immediately noticeable is the booming music and club-like atmosphere. At first I thought it was cool to check in at a counter located directly adjacent to a night-club styled lounge and bar area. But then it hit me....I'm a business traveler and I'm tired. I want peace and quiet. I want a quiet drink and room service. But that's just me.

Upon entering the room I was once again taken to a Swedish furniture store. They tried to reinvent the bathroom by making the entire toilet/shower area share the same tiled floor. While this makes life easier for the housekeeping, there is nothing quite as annoying as getting out of the shower to a completely wet floor! It's cold and nasty. If someone wants to use the toilet, the entire floor is soaked....not smart! There is a reason the bathtub was invented.

Overall the place is in a great location which helps as the hotel has no restaurant....just a cold pantry area serving sandwiches and chips. The price is right and the staff friendly, but the concept of a Euro-chic hotel is just not my style after a long day on the road. Twenty-something's and singles w/dates will love it.

Be well fellow travelers!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

$80 night govt rate, you can not beat this hotel near the airport, and no charge for pets!! Nice room, huge flat screen on the wall, very euro-Ish/trendy. All other pet friendly hotels near the airport will give you the Willie's. Confortable bed, and neat shower area. Staff is friendly. Safe and minifridge in room. Overall this hotel is an outstanding value, far surpasses any other pet friendly hotels in the area. Don't hesitate, book it now.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed here with a party of 5 in December. The Aloft concept is great, especially if you like a funky modern vibe. This hotel is only a few years old and in a great location. Unfortunately some parts of the property are becoming very poorly maintained. We had to try SIX different rooms before finding one with dry, clean carpeting - the first five were soaking wet on the far wall of the bedroom, had mildew stains throughout, and smelled awful. Several staff members admitted that they're having problems with showers leaking around windows and into the sleeping area in many of the rooms. We finally wound up in a handicap-accessible room because those rooms have a different shower design, so they can't leak onto the carpet. I'd love to say that I would stay here again, because everyone friendly and helpful, and the property is a lot of fun. Even with the larger upper floor room, comped breakfast, and free drinks at the bar, though, we won't be going back. It just isn't worth it.

Room Tip: The upper floors are quieter; ask for a handicap accessible room to avoid leaking showers, if they h...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
California, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I found the hotel to be a gem when traveling with a dog. They are "pet friendly" and do not charge an extra fee for your dog. The room was very modern with an extremely comfy bed and clean linens. I like the idea of a duvet as opposed to a bedspread, and the Aloft offered a fluffy duvet-covered comforter. The air conditioner was a little noisy, but it didn't bother me a bit. Concerning the bathroom, I too, had a shower door with a gap causing a puddle which I soaked up with a bath mat provided. Bathroom supplies were sparce, but I always bring my own. They carried the Bliss line which is awesome; just somewhat short of adequate even for 1 person. I also found the staff somewhat removed and less than helpful. The rate was reasonable in comparison to the rates charged by other hotels for travelers. It was also superior in this category as it's a challenge to find a nice hotel that is pet friendly when traveling. One more important item is that I felt very safe traveling as a solo female. I will stay there again if I am in the Jacksonville area!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Our stay at this hotel was pleasant. Rooms are good size, nice and clean. Front desk staff is friendly. Bartendar makes an awesome martini! Located across from a huge shopping area so lots of options. Some little issues: the shower door had a gap so water leaked making a big puddle. Windows don't open and air unit has one speed, loud. The chamber maid didn't leave enough products like soap, lotion, cups. One day she didn't even clean or take out the garbage, just made the beds. Really dislike that breakfast was not inlcuded.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back have view of the woods and pond.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
aloftJaxAirport, General Manager at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel. Sorry to hear about your shower door. We will make sure our maintenance department carefully checks all of the doors while doing regular maintenance. As always, we will promptly address any and all of our guest concerns and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Great location, nice a close to the airport. Plenty of shops and eating places across the street. Check in was fast and no issues. Lobby was nice and certainly set up for younger people. Room is a different layout. Beds were comfortable and AC worked great. However, cleanliness was very much lacking. Went down after arrival and after dinner and asked that the room be better cleaned in the next day. Especially the bathroom area. Was horrible, with hair and stains all on tile floors and walls. Staff member did offer to relocate us, but it was okay for the night.

The room was cleaned the next day and upon or arrival after a busy day, we found it slightly better but still dirty. It would appear that the bathroom floor having hair and stains on it is acceptable to their standards. Our toilet tissue paper was also changed out but had a big soaked in stain on one edge of it. Looks like some cleaning chemicals had spilled on it. We had to unroll about 1/2 the roll to get rid of the stain since it had soaked in. The carpet at the door had not been vacuumed as their was still stuff on the floor that we also noticed the night before.

If they can get their cleaning in order, it would be good place to stay as all other aspects are good, but it would appear that cleanliness is not high up on their priority list.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
little rock arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I had never stayed at an Aloft brand though I have stayed at several other Starwood properties, mainly W Hotels. I decided on the spur of the moment to stay in Jacksonville and consulted Expedia to look for prices, then decided on Aloft, but made my reservation through Starwood. Starwood quoted me 10 dollars above the Expedia price when I asked for best price available, and then after consulting Expedia pricing, gave me the Expedia price. (Incidentally, I had done the same thing with the Omni chain, contacting them on a same day basis, and they offered me a price far below Expedia pricing voluntarily and upfront without my bringing up Expedia pricing). My first experience with the hotel was calling them when my I-phone was getting me nowhere in finding the hotel. The guy at the desk was trying to help but had no clue how to assist a traveler unfamiliar with the area, at night in a strange place. I ended up calling him twice then gave up and asked at a Holiday Inn where they gave me great directions. So I arrived at Aloft, which is sort of behind a McDonalds and went in. I found the same front desk clerk who had tried to assist me in directions doing some texting on his cell phone. He took my credit card and boredly flipped me a key without the least interest in explaining anything about the hotel, or giving a hint of appreciation for giving Aloft my business. The lobby looked kind of fun and my teens would have liked the pool table in the middle of it and the loud music playing. They had a nice pool outside. The room had an interesting design. The only thing it lacked was a comfortable chair to watch the tv. There was a couch under the TV which was of little use. The W chain, in my view, has a history of excellent beds, interesting design, and poor customer service. I see now that this extends to Aloft and apparently the Starwood chain. Tip: Demand a room away from the adjacent construction. The front desk guy gave me a room looking out on a large construction site with lots of heavy equipment. Construction of whatever it is, is just starting so during 2011 and 2012 at least, some rooms may be noisy. It was Sunday fortunately, and no construction was underway.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from adjacent construction site
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Aloft Jacksonville Airport? Share your experiences!