“I should have read the reviews about this hotel before booking.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center

You added Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10020 Skinner Lake Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32246 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #120 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Jacksonville, Florida
“I should have read the reviews about this hotel before booking.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

During my 25 year career in customer service for a major U.S. corporation, I spent more nights sleeping in hotel beds than in my own. I've been a guest at hotels operated by all the major chains and a few mom and pops. Consequently, I can tell the difference between a One Star and Five Star hotel along with those in between. I've stayed at or been in rooms at all levels.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I learned that we would have visitors this week and next. While family members would be staying in our home, we needed to make a hotel reservation for a friend of theirs who preferred staying at a hotel within walking distance to the St. John's Town Center. A quick Google search brought up the website of the Homestead Studio Suites on Skinner Drive, directly across from the shopping center. Perfect or so we thought.

Since I was not familiar with this hotel, I thought it best that I visit to see what the different sized rooms are like and what the housekeeping standards
were like When I arrived and asked to see one of each, the desk clerk advised that the only room available for me to enter was the one adjacent to the office, which I did.

While in the room, I phoned my son who would be making the actual recommendations. I told him that a room like I was in or one the larger versions would be perfect. I also said that the bed, furniture, carpeting and appliances were "spotless" and added the comment that his mother and I would feel comfortable staying there. At that point, I walked back to the office and handed my cell phone to the desk clerk so that the reservation could be made before I left. Big Mistake.

My son and daughter-in-law picked up their friend at the airport and drove her to a "late arrival" check-in at your hotel. Unfortunately, they left before
she had unpacked. They soon returned after she discovered several things that were unacceptable, including a bathroom that had not been cleaned - with hair on the floor along with an infestation of live and dead bugs in the room.

They returned immediately to help her check out of the hotel after midnight.

I now am aware of several people who will never stay at a "Homestead" branded hotel again or think about staying there the future.

For me, using hindsight, the most frustrating aspect of this entire affair is the fact that the I encouraged my son to make the reservation directly with
the hotel rather place it through a site like Tripadvisor. Had either of us looked at Tripadvisor's "Guest Reviews" for this hotel, I would not be writing
this review.

Belatedly, I read a review on another site written by a college kid says it all.

“I'm a grad student and have fairly low standards for what is workable regarding hotel rooms, but this was a new low.”

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Eastman, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Infested with bugs. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of them! Not to mention filthy. Boxspring was completely torn open on one side, and needless to say full of dirt and dust and I'm sure more bugs. Asked for another room, and was told there were no more rooms available. Not likely considering the parking lot was pretty secluded.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Converse, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I am glad that I did not read the terrible reviews that have been posted about this hotel prior to coming for a 6 week stay that began on May 3rd, 2010. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience. I am in the process of relocating from Indiana and I needed somewhere to stay that was close to my new job. My room was clean when I arrived, and I have not seen a single bug. The bed is comfortable, and although there are guests in the surrounding rooms, I have not had ANY problems with noise. My air conditioner is more than adequate to keep my room cool, which is essential in this hot Florida climate. High-Speed internet is available for $5 per stay (but down't expect to watch a video, the internet is too slow for that). The hotel is located in a very nice area directly across from the Town Center, which is a large shopping area with at least 20 different restaurants. A CVS drugstore is within easy walking distance. It is not a fancy hotel, but for someone looking for a safe place to stay on a reasonable budget, I would highly recommend this hotel. Also, the Asst. Manager, Melvin, has been acceptionally accommodating to me. You might want to ask about their long-term lodging program if you plan to stay for a while, as it provides substantially lower rates than you will find on the homestead suites website.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Daytona Beach, Fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

WARNING:........
Hotel was booked full when we checked in with reservation. We paid cash for the 5 days we were staying. Went to dinner and checked out the location of the Mayo Clinic where my wife is to be tested to see if she is qualified for a kidney transplant.. A trauma we wish we did not have to go through. We came in at about 8:30pm. Got ready for bed and watched tv for a short while. Never got the internet to work but they said it was free for all. I sat on bed, my wife on a chair. Thats when I saw what I thought was a tick. Put it in a glass. Pulled bed apart and found a baby one. It popped when I tried to put it in the glass. Now blood on sheet at end by our faces. Took all blankets and sheets off bed and found no more. Moved the blood end to foot of bed. Now at 10pm no one is in office and we have a rough day ahead. Decided to let it go till morning. My wife watched the rest of the show and I fell asleep. Now, 11:30pm my wife got up for bathroom and I woke opened my eyes and saw another tick on her pillow. I jumped up and found I was sleeping on a bed full of bugs. All over my pillow and the entire bed. About 2-3 dozen. I was out of my PJ's so fast you would have laughed. I scooped a bunch in the glass for proof. Called the front desk, but no answer. Forgot that there is no one around after 10pm. Did not know what to do at that moment. Did not know there was an emergency number posted outside the office door. We packed our things and got in the car and called around for a hotel thinking that they also may be booked full. Found one and they were understanding of our dilemma. Even gave us a cost break over the Mayo paitient cost break. We did not have the kitchenett we needed to save money for dinners, so they gave us a small fridge and microwave. We went above our budget for this 5 day visit. We called the Homestead from the hospital the next day. (that night, I researched and found they are called "Bed Bugs"- look like ticks). Now the Homestead corporate told the manager to call us back and said they were sorry for our discomfort but said there is nothing they will do accept give us our money back. We paid cash and they said they will only pay in a check that will be mailed to us. I needed that money to pay the other hotel. We had to borrow from family. Bad part is that 1 1/2 weeks later I still have not been reimbursed. Thus the desire for this review.
As of this posting, I have not called the Hotel Corp. They may still redeem themselves by doing something right. Anything. So if they do so, you may contact me through this web site and I will let you know if they have done so and how they did.
Warning: never stay here!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
jacksonville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

The room smelled, had roaches in the kitchen, bathroom area and even one crawled across the bed. I would not recommend the southside skinner lake location. The room needed updating, and definetly needed some high powered cleaning ..The kitchennete with the 2 dirty pans who the hell would cook on those with the roaches running wild across the counter top.....on the side and between the refrigerator and sink there was trash. Roaches crawling inside the refrigerator! Do you think I slept well! Didnt bother to get underneath the covers of the bed..Folks in upper rooms walking back and forth half the night. The staff is very nice and answered all questions, but this is not one I would recommend staying at again! Even spraying didnt help they were running up the wall...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Leesburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

We stayed 4 nights while in town visiting family. We really wanted a suite with a bedroom door that closed which is not always easy to find. The room was just okay. It smelled in the room and the room needed to be updated a bit. We also had a hard time getting the temperature how we wanted it. For the price, it wasn't bad. But the next time we are in town, we will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Long Beach,Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2006

We stayed 4 nights in May 2006 and had to move to another room twice before we could get away from strong smells of a new carpet and smokers. In my reservation I requested to be as far away from smoking as possible but the request was ignored. Our 3rd room was in building 1 away from smokers . It also had an elevator to the 2nd floor for those who might need to use one.

Been to Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center

Address: 10020 Skinner Lake Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32246 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center)
Location: United States > Florida > Jacksonville
Ranked #120 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Extended Stay, Orbitz, Expedia, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Studio Suites Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Hotel

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.