“Nice Location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I recently stayed at this property for two nights. The hotel is located in a business park with plenty of food and shopping options within 2 - 3 miles at the St Johns Town Center.

Check in was very efficient. Given my platnium status with SPG, I was given an upgrade to the club level. This property has a very small club area. The interesting part is that the elevator opens right into the club area, so if it is prime breakfast or evening reception hours it can be challenging getting to/from and on/off the elevator. The food selections in the club were good and the staff was excellent.

The club rooms are nice with plenty of space. I will also say that they have done a great job of providing ample work room for the business client, as well as, easily accessible power outlets on top of the desk. I would also say that the room had a nice armoire in the room that was sectioned off for shirts, pants and folded clothes. This the first I have seen this and it was really nice compared to the normal cramped closet space in most hotel rooms.

The one down side to the room was the very thin walls. On the first evening, all I heard for about two hours in the evening was a screaming baby and loud talking folks next door. The second night was very quiet, so I assume the room was vacant.

Overall a great property for the business traveler. Would definitely repeat a stay at this property based on location and easy access to shopping and restaurants close by.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
RSmithSJH, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Hello Lv2CtheWorld,

Thank you for taking the time to review your hotel stay and coming from a Senior Contributor like yourself your kind words about our property are very much appreciated. I would like to mention as well that the St. John's mall is also just a short complimentary shuttle ride from the hotel so you don’t have to fight the traffic over there and/or find a parking space which can sometimes be a challenge to get anywhere close.

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back on a future stay.

Ray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Pensacola Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The hotel itself is nice. I'd give it 3.5 stars ideally between average and very good. It's on a lake (I'm not sure if it's man made) and it's got a great location just 3-5 miles to the town center and lots of shops like Dillard's, Ross, and Nordstrom. It's also close to PF Chang's and Cheesecake Factory. Don't even bother to eat at the hotel Restuarant. The hotel Restuarant is terrible. The waitress was rude and took 10 minutes to get us our drinks. The other hotel staff is otherwise very nice. I came for the USA vs. Nigeria game and enjoyed our stay. Wish we had gotten the two double beds but we had to use a king size bed and couldn't get a rollaway because the hotel was packed. Going to the pool this am.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the lake
Green Features: The hotel does have recycling! I thought that was excellent.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello Ewhitt,

Thank you for taking the time to review your hotel stay at our property. My team and I appreciate the kind words. I am disappointed to read about your experience in the restaurant and sincerely apologize for our team's behavior and the bad perceptions she created for you. I assure you this is not typical of any of the team in our restaurant. If you would like to discuss this matter further please reach out to me directly at the hotel.

Further to the point about bed type selection and availability; most third party channels are not connected directly to hotel inventories of bed types, but rather just rooms. This being the case and the fact that all Sheraton hotels guarantee the best price can be found on line @ Sheraton .com you can guarantee your bed preference and get the best available rate by going to Sheraton.com. I hope this is helpful for future stays at any major hotel chain and my team and I look forward to connecting with you and welcoming you back on a future stay to our property.

Westerham, Kent ENGLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton for a week as it was precisely a 2 minute drive to my employer's Jacksonville location and I am an SPG gold member. It was what you would expect of the Sheraton brand - dependable, comfortable, if a little dated.

The pluses:
- great Club Level food and service (I had a hot scrambled egg breakfast each morning with fruit, pastries and delicious juices and coffee, for a small daily upgrade amount; there were snacks in the evening and cold water available 24 hours)
- attentive staff service. I had to call about an issue with my room and while they could not fix it, offered to give me a credit or points immediately in exchange. they were also helpful with directions, booking a shuttle etc
- the Bold City bar has great local craft beers on tap
- location. very close to Town Centre and aforementioned bank office.

The minuses:
- very thin walls. this was cited by another visitor and I was awake for 1 of the seven nights listening to the neighbor's tv (thankfully, they checked out the next day)
- dingy lighting -- the business hotel trend towards economical but dreary fluorescent lighting that brightens steadily after the first minute but casts a clinical white, not soft warm glow, is one of my pet peeves

On balance, if you value the location to the offices in Deerwood Park, this is 5 minutes closer than Aloft, Indigo etc, and is a solid choice. I would consider staying here again for the excellent and yummy club level breakfast and nice service from the staff.

Green Features: Make a Green Choice is a great way to be environmentally friendly and pick up 500 points for each night you eschew housekeeping services. I would recommend it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
RSmithSJH, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments as well as your constructive ones about the noise levels and lighting. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on a future stay and being of service to you then.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Location is very good. However, if you value your sleep, this isn't a place to be. Walls are terribly thin. I was awaken at 5 am by a conversation people were having in the room next door. they kept talking, so I just checked out. Hotel is realtively new, so if they would something about the soundproof, I would consider staying there again. On the bright side, dogs stay free. That's awesome.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
RSmithSJH, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Hello Diogenes L,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. My team and I sincerely appreciate the kind words as well as the feedback on the room soundproofing. I have learned over my 6+ years at this hotel that stating the building is built to current county and state guidelines does not help with the perception that it is noisy compared to other places. I am always disappointed to read these noise comments and I continue to search for resolutions.

My team and I appreciate your business and hope you will visit and connect with us again in the future.

Kind regards,

Lake Zurich, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Had a business trip near the hotel and booked it based on a recommendation from a colleague. This is a great business friendly hotel with plenty of area to meet and talk in private. Bar and restaurant were spacious and the staff were friendly and responsive. The rooms are all well maintained and had a large table for working. I would recommend this hotel for a business trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
RSmithSJH, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hello LZMike,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us and others about your recent stay. My team and I sincerely appreciate the very kind words and expecially the shout outs about the team service. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on a future trip and connecting with you then when you visit.

Kind Regards,

Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Great hotel. Updated lobby and rooms. Clean and modern. Only problem was the bed. It was very firm, not as nice as most other hotels of similar quality. Also, the bathroom had a double door entrance that didn't lock. Just come on in. The location is great though. About 1-2 miles to St. John's shopping and restaurants and 6 miles to the mall. Good location if you are looking to shop and eat.

Stayed April 2014
RSmithSJH, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello and thank you for the nice words about our property and service. I am sorry the Sweet Sleeper bed by Serta did not meet your expectations. Also our frosted glass doors are one of the features of our hotel that many guests comment on as exceeding their expectations and it is true we do not have locks on the bathroom doors of our hotel rooms.

If I can be of additional service please reach out to me directly at the hotel.

tybee island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

my family and i planned a trip to the zoo and decided to stay at the beach. Found this hotel on line and booked a room, sometimes on line sites are a little deceptive but was pleasantly surprised that it was not so here. The room was clean with a great view of the beach, the front desk was cheerful and everything went smooth from check in to check out. Good location and easy access from the interstate, and just a short drive to the zoo. Great sports bar across the street and joe's crab shack next door. Only stayed 1 night but already planning another trip in June, even though we live only a short drive from the beach at home it's great to get away sometimes and we really had a great experience at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello,

I would love to take credit for this response but I believe you may have stayed at our sister property the Four Points by Sheraton on Jacksonville Beach. We are glad your experience there exceeded your expectations.

Ray

Been to Sheraton Jacksonville? Share your experiences!