“Good but not fantastic” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Key West, Florida
“Good but not fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Hotel had no one available to help with luggage.. Room was was small, no refrigerator, nice bathroom, good space, bed comfortable, plush pillows. Fair value for the money. Restaurant was not open late but served us at the bar. Tenderloin tips were slightly spicy bit sooo good..

• Stayed August 2012
RSmithSJH, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Hello sandy 3579,

Thank you for taking the time to describe to others and us your stay with us here in Jacksonville. there is always someone available for luggage assistance and we are suppose to ask you if you need it. I am disappointed this was not the case for you but will not make excuses for it. Microwaves and refrigerators are available upon request and free but are limited and not in every room. We hope you will stop by again and allow us to welcome you back the next time you're in Jacksonville.

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Next to a lake with some some quiet views, this hotel is a very well-run property with great engaging and accomodating staff (minus the cleaning people who are loud, ignore the do not disturb signs and lie on the spot as it suits them) :)
A club floor room was quite small, but perfectly well-done, with nice design of the bathroom (walk-in shower, nice amenities including mouthwash, a robe, perfect towels), big flat TVs (no external sources, no close-captioning - all disabled via remote), no HBO either.
A continental breakfast was served on the club floor with excellent coffee machines, some yoghurts, muffins and breads - the free breakfast was included in the stay, but I misplaced the coupon - still not sure why in 2012 we have paper coupons from the hotel for the hotel services - but that's just ranting on a side :)
VERY quiet AC, big flat screen TV, plentiful AC plugs and a very big window-side table with tea/coffee brewing stuff (ignore, for the club room equipment) and free water in the club room fridge. Very well-designed bathroom with top-notch towels.
HIGHLY recommended. Pets are welcome with no fee! Plenty of dogs of all sizes :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hello heyvalera,

Thank you for taking the time to describe your stay and encounters with our hotel. I was disappointed to read about the perceptions that housekeeping left, but I sincerely appreciate the other kind words and the informative descriptions you shared. My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

There are basically 3 types of Sheratons:
1- Old and not renovated
2- Old but renovated
3- New style Sheratons.

This is a new style Sheraton about 4 years old. These new Sheratons are basically glorified upper level motels, and they compete with Marriott Courtyard's and the like. The positive is that they are relatively new and consistent accross properties. If you are on leisure travel then they are ok because you can ignore the negatives, as you are probably getting a good deal on the hotel. If on business...there are shortcommmings.

Positives:
1- Friendly front desk
2- Friendly bar/restaurant staff
3- New rooms with large tv's and stand up showers, vs the old tubs
4- Complementary coffee and tee in the lobby in the morning
5- Good location next to a large shopping area (new)
6- VERY comfortable beds and pillows (like all Sheratons!)

Negatives:
1- Club not open on Sundays, and *very* minimal service/food items on weekdays, no water
2- Walls paper thin, expect to hear *everything* next door
3- Excersize room is small, and when we were there, no towels
4- No A/C in the elevator, which is a MAJOR problem in Florida where it is routinely high 90's. This is just plain inexplicable. It is close to 100 degrees in that elevator all the time
5- Speaking of A/C's, motel style A/C's in the room, which are noisy.

Overall the stay was ok, but I am not a huge fan of these new style Sheratons.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
RSmithSJH, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello epg_01,

Thank you for taking the time to do such a complete job evaluating our hotel for your fellow travelers. My team and I sincerely appreciate the kind comments about our service, location, rooms and beds.

The club room is open 7 days a week including Sunday. The items available are the same as far as number of items all seven days and differ only by variety offered. Water is also available 24 hours a day and is offered free in the club level rooms.

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Front desk staff was very nice in accommodating our family. They were out of rollaway beds but this was my fault for not requesting it earlier. As a platinum SPG, we have club access. The "club" can not be called a club. When there are guest remarks, the staff are trained to call the club "intimate" or "cozy," while the reality is that it is located in the elevator area of the club floor! This is because as no lounge was built, they were too cheap to convert 2 or 3 rooms to a lounge. The breakfast in the elevator area was very limited with cheap items and no hot food. Yes, it just meets the bare minimum Sheraton lounge standards in terms of catering but it would be nice if they were not so stingy. As many have said before, the walls are paper thin so rooms are noisy. The GM writes the phrase "I will not make excuses" in many of his replies. My question is if this is a common complaint why can't you address it by perhaps putting some cork or sound suppression material in the walls? Ditto for the lounge. I know you have heard it before, so why not do something about it. To me, it seems like the owners of the hotel just want to milk cash and not invest anything.

Hello topresorts,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at our property and sharing it with your fellow travelers.

I was disappointed to read the impressions you have about some of the features and amenities of our property. I am also disappointed to read you have found my responses insufficient in your perception. I take every comment seriously and I work closely with the excellent ownership of this property to address guest concerns when they arise.

I hope you will stay with us again in the future and my team and I will endeavor to leave you with a better impression your next visit.

Central Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Affordale even with high quality. Hotels in Florida get old and musty quick, use to the limate, if not renovated frequently. You really notice the inference here in this newish hotel. The air conditioners, room and hotel area all smell frsh and new and wont irritate allergies, e.g. Modern rooms, business area, restaurant and meeting rooms. Shulas used to be here but was too high end. However I think they kept some of the chefs and recipes. Food is very good broadly across the menu. Service across the hotel is super. Furniture in rooms and Common area is more comfortable and more functional than most. They miss on the little things only. Since I see management reads these, here Is what you are missing from a road warrior view: no papers delivered to door, pantry is slim and not thoughtful of varied tastes and missing a simple tv channel guide in room; all easily fixable with more of a customer focus. Lastly this location provides easy acces to most spots in the city. Sheraton is easily One of the best spots in the city.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hello tounderpar,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay and sharing it with us and your fellow travelers. My team and I sincerely appreciate the kind remarks about our service and our product.

You are correct I do read these reviews and I take all of them very seriously both when we meet expectations and when we do not. I really appreciate the specifics in your note and road warriors are our bread and butter and we want to be on the lookout for all things that make your stays away from home more comfortable.

We can arrange paper delivery for anyone who requests it. In an effort to be "greener" we have opted to furnish papers in a central location. This has cut the amount of unused papers in half and thus reduces our environmental footprint. I am not positive about the pantry, but again, we are a full service hotel and if there is anything we can do to make you feel more comfortable or to enjoy your stay more please just reach out to any of the team members and we will make every effort to accommodate you. Now the easiest of your requests is about the TV channel guide. You can find a listing of channels in two places in every guest room. One is located in the paper compendium located on the desk in the room and the other is on the TV itself.

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back on a future trip and I hope if there is anything at all that would make your stay more enjoyable and feel more connected to our community you will reach out to any of us to help.

Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel features a lake and lots of trees. You would never guess you are behind a major road. The large property is spacious and well kept and the rooms large and tastefully decorated. There is a large outdoor mall nearby which gives many food and shopping choices nearby. The pub at the hotel features local beers from a Jacksonville Brewery (Dukes was our favorite). The staff was very friendly and attentive. Great stay for the money!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Jacksonville, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hello fg5739,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit. My team and I sincerely appreciate the kind words and are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Near Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great deal for a low price. Hotel is pretty new and in great shape. Great staff. Near mega shopping. The only problem I had with the property was the indoor pool. Come on guys, this is Florida. Who wants to swim in an indoor pool when it's a hunderd degrees outside and 120 degrees in the pool room?

Hello vonsoest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent visit and for the shout out for our great location as well as your kind words about our service and amenities. Yes our pool is indoors but the unique swim jet and side wall massage jets make it a great place to relax on those rainy days we get here in North Florida as well as the colder ones. My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future. If the weather is nice, we have a sister property in the area with an outdoor pool.

Ray

Been to Sheraton Jacksonville? Share your experiences!