“Average hotel with damp carpet” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #35 of 131 hotels in Jacksonville
Richmond
“Average hotel with damp carpet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My family of five stayed at this hotel on our way to Tampa. Made the reservations over the phone based on the location of the hotel (preferred the west side of Jacksonville for an easier departure). The lady working the front desk was very friendly. Assigned our room and gave us pertinent information regarding the hotel (breakfast, how to work the shower, etc.). We entered our room and immediately smelled a musty odor and realized the carpet in the entire room was damp. We went back to front desk and reported the issue. We were assigned a different room in a different part of the hotel. The second room was not as musty smelling but the carpets were damp. At this point we were exhausted and just needed a good night's sleep so everyone kept their shoes on while getting ready for bed to avoid wet feet. I turned the a/c on colder than usual to avoid any damp, musty odor overnight. Breakfast was typical of hotels in this class. Both rooms we entered were spacious but looked a little worn. We would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
RegionalManagerSE, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Jacksonville West, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for choosing our hotel during your time in Jacksonville.

I apologize that you received a room with a damp carpet. This particular day we did have our carpet cleaners steam cleaning guest room carpets. In this particular process they do extract water/steam with commercial extractors and usually takes a few hours to completely air dry. Unfortunately due to the cold weather the process did take a while longer. I do take full responsibility and hope that you will consider to choose our facility again in the future. I can assure you that you will not encounter this again. Please accept my sincere apology in this matter.

Country Inn & Suites Jacksonville West

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Grand Island, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I have always had good luck staying at Country Inns and Suites, and this was no exception. It appears to be a newer hotel, and was very nicely appointed and the rooms were modern and spacious and very clean. Staff was friendly. There is a Wendy's right out front or several other restaurants within a 1/2 mile down the street. Hotel is just off I-10 and is easy to get to.

Room Tip: Its away from the main street, so most any room would be good.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Akron, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Kudos to Pam at the front desk. Very pleasant and helpful. Gave us fresh cookies and went out of her way to assist us with bikes that needed to be in a safe place for the night. Only downside was that the breakfast room was poorly stocked at a time when it really wasn't very busy.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Came into Jacksonville late (11:00) pm to find a room. Staff was great,stayed in a King room. Room was Excellent.
Leaving the next day for a meeting, found I had locked my keys in the trunk. The nice lady at the front desk ( Amanda) called a Locksmith for me and kept my gear safe, while I went to my meeting. Locksmith opened to car, I was on my way.
Will stay at this location every time I am in the area.
Ask for Amanda when you visit.

North Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This was a pleasant surprise for a business hotel. Sent here on business, usually go with the cheapest. The lobby is quaint. The room was a bit tacky, but clean and spacious. The bathroom was nicer than I expected. Complimentary breakfast is about average, but with a lovely lady who makes sure all is well and you have everything you need.

The hotel staff all around was wonderful. Probably the nicest staff I've ever been around in a hotel. There were three issues though that will keep me from going here again.

1) About 1/8th of a mile from train tracks that are used all night long. Train goes through around 11pm, blowing the horn for about 10 minutes. Then every 20-30 minutes until about 4am.

2) I had a connecting room. The doors are thick wood doors. For some reason, they do nothing to contain sound so I heard my neighbor coughing all night long as if he were lying in bed next to me.

3) The curtains are quite heavy, which is awesome. Except you can't close them. Outside the room were 5 street lights and the lit up hotel sign shining through sheer curtains. Had to use an extra blanket, the Bible, and the phone book to shut out the light because the lovely heavy curtains aren't allowed to close...

Mostly the train was the issue. If not for this, it would have been a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side to avoid the street lights, and get one without an adjoining room to avo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
RegionalManagerSE, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Jacksonville West, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for commending our team at the Country Inn & Suites Jacksonville West!! We appreciate the kind words you have provided about the staff and the guest suite. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

This is a decent motel, but there are 2 things to be aware of:

1. It is hard to find in the dark, as it is not actually on Commonwealth, but rather an alley access behind the Comfort Suites. Look for that instead

2. It is close to the train tracks, so beware that you may need some white noise to cancel that out

Room Tip: Probably try to get one on the east side, as the west side is closest to train tracks
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and pointing out our location which is offset from Commonwealth. We also try to mention to many of the guests that we are located behind the Wendy's Restaurant. I am glad you were able to find us!! Thank you for your business and hope to see you back soon!

Claxton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was a last minute reservation - just a few days before check in. We got a suite with separate bedroom (w/ two queen beds). Check-in & check-out was quick and worry-free and staff was very friendly.

Room & Rate was comparable - We had two teenage boys who slept in the room and my husband & I took an air mattress and slept on the hide-a-bed in the sofa. (Those are NEVER comfortable; so we planned ahead). I wouldn't try to use this room for more than 4 or 5 people - it's larger than a regular room, but the "living room" area is small. BUT there are t.v.'s in both rooms & high speed internet. We used Wi-Fi instead of the hook-up for the internet. It was a little slow, but we were pleased that it even worked.

The complimentary breakfast was "doable". They served waffles, eggs, potatoes (they called it a "casserole" but it was just red potatoes with seasoning), sausage, oatmeal, fruit, bagels/muffins, etc.

There aren't many restaurants around - but you are within a few minutes of driving to Orange Park or other areas of Jacksonville, and there are several there.

We would definitely stay again!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
TheSaylors2004,

Thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our staff and overall facility. I will be sure to share this with staff members!

Country Inns & Suites - Jacksonville West

Been to Country Inn & Suites Jacksonville West? Share your experiences!