“No way this deserves a top ten ranking.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 1,740 restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Asian, Asian fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Savannah
“No way this deserves a top ten ranking.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The restaurant was strangely quiet for a Tuesday evening in December, almost deserted, as if we had walked into a front for money laundering. This very thought crossed my mind.

The restaurant is located in the River City Mall, in the rear, perhaps accounting for the lack of customers that evening. Anyway, our party of 8 did eventually find the place which we were visiting because of its lofty ranking in Trip Advisor.

The interior is subdued, softly lit with green light accents. Instrumental gentle Indonesian music plays overhead. The service was so slow we were thinking maybe the chef had just quit and the remaining staff might be winging it. I thought of walking out but persevered.

We began with a platter of mixed tidbits: spring rolls, chicken satay, coconut shrimp... all of it very good. I had ordered a Thai Tea which was surprisingly sweet. I couldn't drink it, having long ago grown out of my milkshake phase. I reordered a simple green tea to replace it.

Our entrees when they finally were served were actually quite tasty and satisfying. Plenty of rice. Generous plates. I had the cashew Thai chicken which was mildly hot, well within the realm of tolerable for almost everyone. There was no room for dessert for any of us.

Overall, I found this an odd restaurant on a Tuesday evening. I do not understand it's lofty rating other than the food is bountiful and inexpensive (about 30 dollars per diner with drinks and tip). The ambience is relaxing although one could drop into a nap waiting for the food to arrive. If your in the immediate area, Green Papaya is not a bad choice for a good, economical meal, but I would not drive far to get here.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Yes Great Thai Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I happened on this restaurant with my sister who was flying out of JAX and we searched on our Iphones for nearby Thai Restaurants..We weren't expecting much since it was in a shopping mall. Much to our surprise it was wonderful! We shared the Thai Egg Rolls, they were terrific, not greasy and fresh ingredients! My sister had Pad Thai and I had Laab Salad, both delicious ! Last week my husband & I were going through the area and stopped for a late lunch..The wonton soup is magnifico!! Unbelievable homemade broth and wontons!The best I have ever had and I lived in NYC for 24 yrs! He had the beef with mushrooms and I had the Pad Thai...Both wonderful. They will spice up to whatever level you want...The decor is relaxing and upscale, service is good. Remember your food are cooked to order so it takes time, this is not fast food! I highly recommend this place and try the wonton soup! Who knew ..I thought my husband was crazy ordering it at a Thai restaurant!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hershey, PA
“Not quite Thai...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

But good. Definitely Chinese influence with sweet sauces and lots of green bell peppers. Service was very good and the prices were very reasonable. I would come back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were given a gift certificate to Green Papaya, and finding it in an outlying shopping center, we were not hopeful of having a really good meal. Boy, were we surprised! It was not just good, it was great! We loved the food and the service was good. We look forward to returning.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

It is a little out of the way to get to. Food was a bit slow. Staff not very attentive. Decor nice.Price reasonable. The trip to get there was not worth the it. Much better places in city-proper serving the same style.

• Visited October 2012