“Nice staff, poor quality food” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Public House 49 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 105 Restaurants in Patchogue
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Ocean
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Nice staff, poor quality food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I ate at Public House last night. The staff was friendly, and the service was good, but tasteless food. I will say we did enjoy our Fried Fresh Mozzarella....even though that is pretty hard to screw up, it was fresh mozzarella, which is not always the case in some restaurants. I ordered the NY Strip Steak with a potato and mushroom hash and steak sauce. The meat wasn't good quality, and was just tasteless. Big disappointment. My husband ordered Meatloaf. So tasteless. We were wondering why Pera Belle (I think that is how it is spelled) was a 45 minute wait and packed, and Public House had plenty of open seats. Now we see why. I did hear Public House's Mac and Cheese was tasty. Maybe I will give that a try one day. Just a shame to spend $100 plus on a nice dinner, and not be pleased.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Holbrook, NY
“Not a bad bet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a descent pub type restaurant on Main Street. They have a descent selection of beer choices on tap. The menu is somewhat limited but the items on the menu are good. I have been here a few times. Tonight, I had a burger. Very nice size. Prepared just as I like it. The bun could have been a little more substantial but, in a way, I am probably better off with fewer carbs. They serve pretzel rolls which is a nice touch. My son was with me tonight. He had the meat loaf. He liked it a lot. I have had the meat loaf here before and I also found it to be hearty and very good. You can't go too far wrong here. Nothing outstanding but not bad either. I will likely come here again. It is one of several interesting options in a town that is really growing in popularity as a destination.

By the way, they often have a lively bar scene... just not on a Thursday night.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Summer Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Enjoyed this restaurant, ate outside during the summer.....good food, good prices!
A fun place to eat! Would go again!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Comfort food done right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I read a number of reviews about this place and I had to try it based on everyone's review of their Mac & Cheese.

We to my surprise they had one of my favorite comfort foods... Meatloaf. I must say it was good, so was the Mac & Cheese.

Service was so-so.

This place is in an area with a high density of restaurants... Like every 10 steps is another good place. They need to work on their service or they will not survive here.

All in all, I'd recommend if you're in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ronkonkoma, New York
“Good Bar, Not so good Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Decided to eat here one night for dinner. We arrived around 7:30 and there was no wait. They sat us very quickly. Unfortunately, the service was not as fast. We waited several minutes before our waitress came to us. She took our drink order and we ordered two glasses of wine. Took ten minutes before the waitress came back and she came back without our wine. She took our order. They have a decent menu but we both got Burgers, something simple. We asked about our wine and she apologized and said she would bring it right away. Took another few minutes but we finally got our wine. I picked up my glass, and the glass was obviously very dirty. I had to ask for a new glass. The Waitress was nice and very understanding.

Finally, our food did come. The Burger looked good, but the Bun was ROCK SOLID. I had to take the burger off the bun and eat with a knife and fork.

We did not complain or ask for our money back. We just ate our food, paid our check and then vowed to never return for food anymore.

• Visited January 2013