“very hot” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
“very hot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

served very hot, food not sitting prior to service. Overall service is excellent. Priced very fair. Always fresh wines. Good traditional Mexican food.

Visited April 2014

“Disappointing Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

After many years, Husband and I returned to El Nido for lunch last week.It was the same inside--kinda dark but cute and cozy with lots of Mexican decorations. We sat down right away since there were not too many people as it was a bit late in the afternoon on a very rainy day. Hubby can't eat hot, spicy food but he does want and like a lot of flavor, which this food sorely lacked. We like the salsa that came with the chips (very mild but tasty) but we both ordered combo plates and neither were good. Mine came with a burrito that contained only chicken meat. The explanation for this was that since I ordered a combo, I had the rice and beans as sides. Okay, I'm willing to buy that, but isn't there something they can put in a burrito to make it more than just a tortilla with plain chicken in it? Goodness, I can do that at home! The Mexican rice didn't taste too good, which is surprising, since most restaurants can at least do that reasonably well. We really hope they can improve the food, because it's nice to have good local places. I would suggest they add more to the burrito that comes with the combo. Why not put the rice and beans in it with some avocado and pico de gallo? It does't matter if rice and beans are the sides. I think people expect fillings in a burrito and not just meat. How about flavoring up the chicken and improving the rice?

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Ramon, California
“Great service but disappointing food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I really wish I could have liked this restaurant better because it has a great atmosphere and charming set up. We visited El Nido for lunch and ordered 2 meals and drinks. The drinks were OK but both our entrees were bland and not tasty. It seemed the like the quality of ingredients was good but the food left a lot to be desired. The service was excellent but that doesn't make up for the food. We probably will not go there again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Danville, California
“ZERO STARS AWFUL AWFUL & RUDE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Worst ever experience ever at El Nido in Danville, California. Really sad because I wanted to like this spot. It's ALWAYS completely empty. Now I know why. Speaking up is a losing battle because it is family owned. Word to the wise: Throwing water on a fajita plate does not make it hot, it only makes it sizzle. Seven sisters like bullys about to fight if you tell them their food is not as good as usual. I have never in my life had my heart race when speaking to a server as though she was going to start a brawl like Jenny from the Bronx. Speaking Spanish to talk smack about you right in front of you to their mother and saying things like "for future reference" when it's clear we would NEVER go back. A case of Latina anger if ever I've seen it. If they can't handle the heat they should get out of the kitchen. Rule #1 Don't take things personally.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Danville, California
“VERY GOOD, FRESH, FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The staff is great, pleasant and attentive. The food is very good, and if they even think you do not like something, they will do everything to make it better. I have never had that experience, but I made a mistake with my order (And MY mistake tasted good! I ordered it, the next time), and they went out of their way to make sure my experience was great. VERY NICE PEOPLE

Visited May 2013