“Casual and delicious dining” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Californian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Danville, California
“Casual and delicious dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I am a vegetarian and have a ton of options here! I love the veggie burger, mac and cheese, Brussels sprouts, fries and tots. You really can't go wrong and everyone will find something to eat!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Diablo
“So So...Not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times. It's popular because it has the potential to be a cool hang-out. Not much else in little Danville. However, it suffers from an identity crisis. The atmosphere is Santa Cruz funky, noisy and seemingly laid back...family run. You stand in line to order, grab a table on a first-come basis, and get your own utensils. Food presentation lacks and is priced as if it was high-end cuisine, which is not. If you order the lasagna, you will get a smallish square in the middle of a very large plate. I never order wine, beer or tea here because they are outrageously priced. The food ranges from tasty to so so. I have my favorite dishes, love the bread pudding, but I cannot describe any food I've eaten there as Excellent. The owners hover. They can be nice one minute and testy the next. It's best to go during off hours when it's quieter and more relaxed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Danville, California
“Great neighborhood gem for casual dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Sideboard is a great little neighborhood gem in downtown Danville. You order at the counter ad they bring your food to your table. The place gets crowded around meal times and it's a first come, first serve situation with tables/seating. They do have outdoor tables on a smallish patio, but the ambiance is charming. Along with heaters, there's even a basket of blankets to allow for eating outside on cooler days.

The food here is really great - restaurant quality in a casual setting. The salads are plentiful and delicious and the Brussels Sprouts are really good. I eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. They even serve wine - which is a nice plus. A great place to meet a friend(s) for a meal or cup of coffee/tea.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco
“Coffee was terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stopped here for breakfast this morning. My egg dish (feta, scrambled egg, avocado & spinach) was way too salty but tasty; served with absolutely no sides, just a big bowl of eggs. The coffee tasted off, not sure if the coffee was stale? Or the brew too weak? Service always leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. My eggs were brought to the table about 15 minutes after I ordered at the counter. When I asked about my coffee, I was just told it was coming. About 5 minutes later, I got it. Personally, I like to drink my coffee while waiting for my breakfast. Oh well. It is too bad, because their entrees are often very tasty, and much more creative than other restaurants in the area. If they raised the level of service so that someone is available to follow up on the food/beverages, i would rate it much higher. Service here consists of taking your order at the counter (no smile, no menu suggestions), and dropping your breakfast/beverages at your table then walking away. The back of a head is all I ever see of a server.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Walnut Creek, California
“Comfortable Way to Start the Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I have become "regulars" on the weekends at Sideboard. We walk the Ironhorse Trail and stop in for breakfast most Saturday and Sunday mornings. We enjoy the outdoor seating in the middle of Danville where we can relax and have a bite to eat before walking back to our car. Our favorite meals include the French toast, eggs benedict, scrambled eggs with applewood bacon and cheese, and sometimes just a side of scrambled eggs with one of their warm fresh-baked English muffins. If you order coffee, they make each cup individually with a press so there are no free refills. However, we discovered we can order a pot of coffee for the price of two cups and usually have enough for us each to have a refill. Warning, this is not a sit-down service restaurant. You order at the counter and the food is brought to your table when ready. We have found that often we will get our meals before our coffee, or a side of bacon may be brought out when we are halfway through our meal, so you need to be in a flexible mood and understand that your order will all come . . . eventually. Also no one directs the seating, so it's up to you to stake out your table which can be difficult when the restaurant is busy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere