“Nice weekend getaway...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Petit Chateau Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hyde Park
Le Petit Chateau Inn
You added Le Petit Chateau Inn to your Saves list
39 West Dorsey Lane, Hyde Park, NY 12538   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
NJ
“Nice weekend getaway...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great Inn located within minutes of CIA, and only a short ride to FDR attractions. Valerie is a great Inn keeper, and the team she has working with her are very personable, and helpful when it came time to plan our days. Food was delicious, and rooms are updated and clean. We wil visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
champagne53, Manager at Le Petit Chateau Inn, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for the kind review! We do take pride in our modern amenities and small touches at the inn. All the rooms have FULL PRIVATE BATHS, with italian tumble tile, etc. As it is now fall, we have cozy working fireplaces . Fall foliage is just beginning. Our breakfasts are hearty and from local farms. Our hospitality is warm and inviting.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
miami USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This Inn advertises what it does not deliver. We went to the Chateau for a relaxing weekend with our adult children. We were disappointed on so many levels: noise, wine and cheese hour, the facility and billing.
NOISE: A cooking class was ongoing in the kitchen, with four boisterous guests laughing and drinking. We could not get away from the noise. Instead of enjoying the common areas (living room, dining area), we had to stay in our rooms with the doors closed due to the noise. We then left the inn to go out to dinner. When we retuned, the four guests were even drunker and louder. This went on for so long that we could not sleep and I went downstairs to complain. YOU CANNOT OFFER COOKING CLASSES UNLESS YOU HAVE A SPACE FOR IT THAT IS FAR ENOUGH AWAY FROM OTHER GUESTS. The next morning at breakfast, those same guests were again loud and overwhelmed the entire house. We could not sleep, we could not enjoy our breakfast. I complained to them and to management. The next evening, again there was a cooking class. This time, however, there were only two guests and I asked that the doors and windows be closed during their class.Therefore, due to the noise, there was nothing peaceful about this supposedly relaxing inn.
EVENING WINE AND CHEESE: The Inn advertises evening wine and cheese. Sounds nice, right? In reality, guests are instructed to go to a refrigerator in the living room where leftover fruit from breakfast is covered in saran wrap (looking tired and unappealing). No tasty French cheese anywhere in sight, only the cheapest Cheddar spread. There is wine on the counter but the glasses were dirty. AND, on both nights that we were wanted to enjoy the Wine and Cheese hour,
the cooking class overpowered the entire house.
THE FACILITY: The B and B is far from a chateau. It is tired, dark and seedy. Everything feels run down (both inside and outside). The rooms are dark (bedrooms as well as common areas). One of our bathrooms smelled and the water from the shower smelled. The stairway is so narrow that carrying overnight bags upstairs is difficult. Moreover, the B&B is set back but still, on a busy street. That is not clear from the Internet.
BILLING: Due to the noise we experienced on the first night, the owner slipped a gift certificate for $100 under my door. Accompanying it was a note inviting me to use it or gift it. When we checked out on Sunday, the owner was not there. I gave the staff the gift certificate, they accepted it, we paid our bill and were on our way. Two days later, I was charged the amount of the certificate plus tax on my American Express. That is unacceptable. I still have the note that clearly shows there is no restriction on its use. I have called the owner and emailed with her. She sent me replacement gift certificate! I don't want it. If I was not supposed to use the gift certificate during my stay, then her note should have said to and her staff should not have accepted it. (NOTE: American Express is looking into the matter).
My husband and I travelled from Miami for a relaxing Hudson River Valley experience and invited our New York city based daughters to join us. The B&B was the only unpleasant part of an otherwise delightful trip.

Room Tip: The downstairs room is the darkest and closest to the cooking classes.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
champagne53, Owner at Le Petit Chateau Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Oh My. That is one angry person. Dear traver, we did our utmost professional best to resolve the issue while the guest was at the inn. And we believe we DID.

So we choose not to adress this issue on the internet. It was resolved in April and in a very satisfactory, calm and professional manner.
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was disappointed to find there was absolutely nothing "chateau" about "Le Petit Chateau." It was "seulement une maison ordinaire." The setting was pleasant and quiet, but there was no charm about the house at all. We almost always choose to stay at inns and B&B's as we enjoy their more interesting characters, but I found our room-an upstairs one--quite sterile and motel like. (The bathroom was lovely though.) The bed was so squeaky that I woke up every time my husband turned over. Breakfast was good, but I was a bit put off when I saw one of the chefs arranging the (very delicious) popovers with his bare hands. We never met the hosts, a first for us staying at a B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
champagne53, Owner at Le Petit Chateau Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We appreciate the time you took to review Le Petit Chateau Inn. First thank you for complimenting our FULL PRIVATE baths! All of our rooms have FULL PRIVATE BATHS. For some reason, Trip Advisor has a comment on our listing that not all the rooms have private baths. This is not true at all!!! ALL OF OUR ROOMS HAVE FULL PRIVATE BATHS!
Our rooms have beautiful italian tile throughout the tub, shower and floor. So thank you for that!
Many Americans have not traveled the french contryside as I have, and I still do, so that they don't see the "typical" french home. And that is what Le Petit Chateau is. A typical french home in the countryside...
Becasue I have sold (and STILL do sell) French wine, I travel quite a bit... so yes, you may not meet me but the chefs are super (and graduates of professional cooking schools). The innkeepers are knowledgeable about the area etc...

We do like to be a "laissez-faire" style inn, knowing that the guests are there to meet other world travelers and not the innkeeper. ..Trust me, I am there quite a bit...

Lastly, yes, our chefs use good old fashioned soap and water to keep their hands clean and the food clean..

We may not be everyone's cup of tea, we ARE a place for a good glass of wine though..

(PS - I fixed that darn squeky bed.. off it's track so to speak..)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went to Hyde Park for a family wedding and found this special place for our overnight stay. The house was lovely with a very relaxed ambiance and the breakfast was spectacular. The grounds are beautiful, with a pond to sit by and watch the dragonflies. Nearby to everything in Hyde Park. The host was also very accommodating. Would definitely recommend and stay again ourselves.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quite nice. We had our 14 year old son with us and had the Bordeaux Room, which ha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Le Peti Chateau Inn is quite relaxing as there are two spacious sitting rooms, a comfy front porch that overlooks the two acre pond, and a nice deck uptairs.
Also we would like the guests to be assured that ALL OF OUR ROOMS HAVE FULL PRIVATE BATHS.
For some reason, Trip advisor has a statement on our listing that claims all of our rooms do not have private baths.

Our FULL PRIVATE BATHS have tubs and showers, very spacious and italian tumble tile on the floor and showers.

We are circa 1900 but very, very modern!
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I’ll start by saying that my husband and I are not big B&B fans. We usually find the rooms too small and that was the case at Le Petite Chateau.

Although we had one of the larger rooms (Champagne) it was still a bit cramped for us. (It was also at the top of a narrow flight of stairs, problematic if you have heavy luggage.) We found that the “sitting area” in front of the fireplace was not practical for that purpose because it is also the area where you store your luggage and enter the bathroom. Also the chairs you would use would be those straight-back chairs you see in the picture so not the most comfy.

There is an armoire that serves as a closet but it was pretty full with extra blankets and pillows for the murphy bed in the closet. One nice touch was that there were bathrobes for both of us.
Re the bathroom in this suite, one side of the bathroom has a sloping ceiling which I found myself ducking when I was in there. Other than that, it was a good sized room with everything you could want. One detracting issue was the towels in the basket were mildewed when I used it. ICK! Fresh towels were available in the hall closet but it was a bit off-putting.

Breakfast was very good but a little disorganized. It was an interesting menu prepared by CIA students. It included homemade granola, fresh fruit, coffee, freshly made scones and a polenta pizza (generous slice of polenta topped with sautéed veggies and scrambled egg). The disorganized part reflected the fact that breakfast is served from 8 to 9 and everyone (9 people) showed up at or before 8 and the kitchen didn’t seem quite prepared. Coffee had just been started, the granola was available out but no milk to go with it. Scones were put out but no butter and the pizzas were being made two by two instead of in a large batch so it was a long time coming for those at the end of the line.

Having said that, the grounds are pretty, the common rooms are large and inviting and the central air conditioning was good. There was also a nice touch of having a small cheese plate and wine for each room and, most important for us, it was only about ¼ mile to CIA.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Our sincere apologies for the towel situation which surprises me as we sun dry our lanudry. Then we dry it in the dryer to fluff it..I will certainly make sure that this doesn't happen again.

The inn was built circa 1900. it was originally a farmhouse which has been completely restored and moderinzed. As a result, the bathrooms, hallways and rooms themselves have that "older house" feel to them. If a traveler is not comfortable with an older hosue, we do suggest that you reserve at a hotel.

Breakfast is prepared fresh, nothing sits on a buffet. The coffee is ground and brewed fresh also. As with a restaurant if eight guests appear at once in the dining room it is a bit hectic until they get settled with their morning beverage, chat with each other, have the cold buffet (Gorgeous seasonal fresh fruit, homemade breads and jams, local yogurt, homemade granola)..

THEN the entree is prepared by the chefs at a pace that allows the guest to enjoy their first course!
East Hampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our two nights stay added immeasurably to our enjoyment of the beautiful Hudson River Valley and our visit to the FDR Presidential Library and Museum, located a few minutes drive from the inn.

Our room was comfortable and cozy and we enjoyed the luxurious toiletries and fluffy towels in the thoroughly modern bathroom. The adjacent lounge was welcoming and complimentary wines and cheeses were always on hand. We especially appreciated the fresh fruit and chocolates at bedtime.

Our breakfasts were extraordinary and were elegantly served. All in all, Le Petit Chateau is "formidable!".

Room Tip: While the second floor rooms are larger, we preferred to remain downstairs and thereby avoided climb...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
champagne53, Owner at Le Petit Chateau Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for writing a review, we know it takes time from a busy schedule! We are proud of our extra touches: the professional chefs, the wine and cheese, fresh flowers, italian tumble tile bathrooms.. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with others!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I visited CIA for our anniversary and decided to make an overnight of it. We chose Petite Chateau for its proximity to CIA, and the reviews on TA. This B&B was delightful. 4 rooms, 2 generous common areas and nice grounds. The rooms were very comfortable and we were happy with the accommodations and the breakfast. We stayed in the Loire room, on the first floor. Would definitely recommend giving it a try.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time you took to submit a review. The inn is quite lovely this time of year as I am a lazy gardner ..but there are lots and lots of perennials to show off summer color. Our pond is clean and clear, it's a nice place to come and do nothing or within minutes, see the nearby sights!
Our chefs love to prepare a sumptious breakfast and if anyone has special dietary needs we are the ones for you!

Been to Le Petit Chateau Inn? Share your experiences!