“Good enough for value stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hyde Park
Greenville, North Carolina
“Good enough for value stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here around Christmas for one night while doing research at the FDR Library. The location could not be better for visiting The FDR historic site over a two day period, it is almost across the street. The hotel was perfectly fine and slightly better than I expected based on some of the other motels in the area. It is by no means a luxury spot, nor has it been renovated recently, but the room was clean and the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice. Totally adequate. Perhaps not the spot if you are on a romantic Hudson River trip, but I don't think anyone would mistake this for that kind of lodgings anyway. We had dinner at the diner a few blocks up and it was great! We also had lunch at the Culinary Institute of America on our second day, and enjoyed the experience. Would recommend this hotel to others looking for an affordable place to stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RupsonHospitality, Manager at Quality Inn Hyde Park, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the review! We are so glad that you choose to stay with us while visiting the FDR site! We are so glad to hear that your room was comfortable and fit your needs while in the area!

Thank you for the recommendation!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I live locally so I had a very good idea of the type of accommodations available in Hyde Park, NY. Of course, I still checked tripadvisor and found that this Quality Inn seemed to be *slightly* less horrible than the rest of the motels in the immediate area. I only stayed in Hyde Park because I was having a date night with my husband, and the Quality Inn was half-way between my home and my babysitter's house. It's also convenient to several attractions we were going to visit in the area, such as the Culinary Institute of America (see separate review). Upon entering the Quality Inn, the tone was immediately set for my stay by the deadpan stare I received as I walked up to the front counter. No hello or welcome forthcoming, just a weird silence until I finally announced that I would like to check in. We had arrived 1 1/2 hours after their 2:00 p.m. check in time and were immediately sent up to our room, which was a non smoking King room. However, we did have to pass through the area where the smoking rooms were located, and it really smelled strongly of stale cigarettes. Upon arriving in our designated hallway, we could clearly see that 90% of the rooms were in the process of being cleaned, as all the doors were propped open and the two maids were in various states of work in each room. We dropped our luggage in the hallway and I asked the maid cleaning the room next to ours how long the wait would be. The bed had not even been made yet. I was told, it was "not her room". So I walked to the other end of the hallway to ask the other maid, who did not understand me, until the first one came to translate. Eventually, they began cleaning our assigned room. I went back to the reception desk to see if there were any rooms actually ready. A different receptionist was on the desk and told me, no, nothing else was available and we would just have to wait. Back upstairs I went where my husband and I began pacing the hallways, looking into the rooms. We went into another section of the hotel which also had all the doors propped open, and found another King size bed non-smoking room, which at least had the bed made. I went back to inquire about moving into this room and the receptionist agreed (why not the first time?) I went back upstairs and told my husband we were cleared for the new room. The maid literally ran ahead of me and sprayed a bunch of Lysol in the room - I had to immediately open the window to air it out. We rested a while and then found that the toilet was not working correctly. The water would rise to that super-scary level where you think it's going to overflow, then slooooowly go back down. My husband went downstairs and requested and received, a plunger. He attempted to plunge the toilet, to no real avail. As we were on our way to catch a movie, we left it to try to go enjoy ourselves, hoping by some miracle the toilet would work when we came back. It did not. Since it was now 10 pm and we had an 11 pm date for an adult only roller skating night next door, we debated changing rooms yet again, or living with a semi-working toilet. We decided not to chance it and went back to reception to change rooms. We were told there were no king non-smoking rooms available. I asked about the room next door to us, which had a smaller bed and no fridge/microwave. She agreed to move us. I asked for a discount and was told we were already given a 10% discount, however, when she presented me with the new bill, it was $25 more than the original room. More waiting around. Finally we switched over our things and went roller skating. The next morning at check out, I encountered the original non-welcoming receptionist from the day before. I explained to her the events of the night before, but she was argumentative and told me that she "wasn't calling me a liar" but that the night receptionist had not left a paper trail, therefore, she could do nothing for us. I just wanted to get out of there at that point, told her I would contact the management in writing and paid just $3.35 less than the originally quoted price, despite all the difficulties we had encountered. I did write a letter to management, and it took about two weeks before they responded and credited me with 50% off my room. At least they cared enough to follow up, as my next move would have been to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Other than the terrible service, I will say the linen was clean, although I thought it was a joke when I saw the pillows on the bed. They are not bed size pillows, they are the size of throw pillows. I had to request four extra pillows for the four already there, just to reach across the bed. (see picture). This is an inexpensive hotel so don't expect much. The included breakfast was fine, a make your own waffle station was nice. Really, for the money you will not get better in Hyde Park unless you go with a Bed and Breakfast. If you are staying in the area and want a really NICE place to stay, look in Rhinebeck or Poughkeepsie. Hopefully the management of this place will step it up a bit after my experience was brought to their attention. If the service had been friendlier and more accommodating, the other problems would not have been quite as frustrating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in non-smoking area, unless you like stale cigarette smell. Try a room facing the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RupsonHospitality, Manager at Quality Inn Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for the review about your past stay. I am so sorry that your room was not ready when you checked in. Unfortunately the night before your arrival our hotel did host a large group that did not check out of the majority of the rooms in our hotel until check out time at 11am. I am so sorry that our housekeepers were not able to get your room ready for you on time.

I am sorry that you felt you needed to move rooms because of the slow toilet; our maintenance department was already out for the day when the issue was reported to us and I am glad that you found the room you moved into much more accommodating!

I truly hope that you will return to the Quality Inn Hyde Park on your next “Date Night” as we would like to show you the true value of our services.
PORT ALLEGANY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Close to the Culinary Institute of America, Roosevelt sites, the Vanderbilt mansion and Vassar College, this completely comfortable Inn offers a good value for the price. Staff is friendly and attentive, and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and liked our central location to all the Hyde Park Activities and attractions!
Hudson, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed three times. It's a typical Quality Inn. Not too new. The kind of building where the top floor is likely to be quieter. The pedestrian bridge over the Hudson is nearby. We had a nice walk on it.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for the review and for staying with us as a repeat guest! We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to the area!
Loma Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was a cold winter night with snow - nice to have nice people to care about you! Would have been nice if they had a snow scraper to share. Nice breakfast in the morning to get you down the road. It was also nice to be able to use choice privilege points in this area since there are so many things to do and see here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so glad to hear that you had a great stay with us this winter. Our staff works hard to ensure that everyone feels welcome! As you mentioned we are a Choice Hotel and reward our guests with choice privileges points for their stay!
Niagara Falls, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Hyde Park when picking up our son from the Culinary Institute. The hotel is close to the Institute and is in an area where there are plenty of amenities. The hotel has ample parking.

Check in was easy, and we had to climb stairs to get to our room, we had only small luggage, so this wasn't a problem. I am not sure if there is an elevator or not, as the person at the desk said "your room is right up those stairs."

Our room was a bit dated, and the large mirror was cracked, but it was clean. We had a microwave and a fridge that we did not use, but it was nice to have,

Internet in the room was bad. Our phones and iPads could not get the wifi, and the laptop connected, but the connection would drop. We called the desk and they told us to reboot our devices and offered no help there. Internet DID work in the lobby. I've always had bad internet at Quality Properties, so we were prepared to be without.

The beds seemed fine to us, but we were exhausted after a long drive and can sleep anywhere at that point. A positive is that the hotel was quiet.

Shower pressure was great, which is important for me, and the bathroom was large enough to comfortably maneuver.

Breakfast was good. Breads, fruits, danishes, eggs, meat and waffles were there to be had. The breakfast area is a bit small, but it was not busy when we were there, so it wasn't a problem.

There are better properties out there, but pricewise, you can't do much better for the area for a decent hotel. I would consider this hotel my number 2 choice if I couldn't succeed on bagging a higher quality hotel on a discount site.

Room Tip: I think rooms on the first floor near the lobby have better internet, if that is important to you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to the Culinary Institute of America! As you mentioned we are only a few miles north of the CIA. We do not have an elevator at our hotel but we do only have two floors and if a first floor room is needed we are always happy to accommodate guest with a first floor room. I do hope that after your stay with us you will consider us your first choice for lodging in Hyde Park!
Marcus Hook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a plesant surprise when we arrived at the hotel. My husband is a smoker and we are very used to "No Smoking" rooms. He always has to go outside and that becomes an inconvience. When we arrived we were asked if we wanted a smoking room. Wow! We sure did and it made the trip that much nicer. Thank you for considering those who do smoke.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RupsonHospitality, Manager at Quality Inn Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed our smoking section of the hotel. We do offer a few rooms for our smoking guests for their convenience. I am so glad that it made you stay that much better!

Been to Quality Inn Hyde Park? Share your experiences!