“I HAVE STEAKED MY CLAIM TO THIS WONDERFUL PLACE” 5 of 5 stars

+1 845-473-2333
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Joseph's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 42 restaurants in Hyde Park
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park. Joseph Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more.
Old Tappan, New Jersey
“I HAVE STEAKED MY CLAIM TO THIS WONDERFUL PLACE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I and another couple decided to take a 60 mile ride from NYC to Hyde Park, NY to visit the Roosevelt mansion and the Vanderbilt Mansions on a warm spring day. When it came to eating, we didn't have a clue. We chose Joseph's Steakhouse thinking it should be ok, even though we've neer been to that area and we didn't have a clue. When we walked in we were immediately greeted and shown to our table. Michael, our waiter offered a great variety of information about the menu and the wine list. He made appropriate recomendations and went into great detail about the various steaks and the ageing process. The food was absolutely delicious. We had mixed drinks to perfection and a great bottle of Malbec at a very good price. Two hours went by with great attention to detail and we even received a personal visit from Owner Joseph Wilson at tableside who wore his pride on his shoulders as he inquired about the meal. All in all we were very pleased with this Hyde Park fine restaurant and it's professional staff who all went the extra mile to give us a wonderful dining experience. Next time you go Mansion hopping, take on this extra treat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Mount Kisco, New York
“Afternoon Tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Who would expect to find a delightful afternoon tea at a steak house? The site of Eleanor Roosevelt's original tea room is the perfect site. Based on a review in Hudson Valley Magazine, my mother and I took a trip to Hyde Park for tea and were not disappointed. The selection of teas was excellent, the menu varied and the service top notch. We chose a traditional tea menu, which included a variety of finger sandwiches, fresh from the oven scones and delicious petitfours and truffles for dessert. All this was accompanied by individual pots of freshly brewed and steeped tea. What a nice change of pace from our usual lunches out. Michael, our server, was very helpful, explaining our selections and the different kinds of tea, and even brought an extra pot to the table for us to taste. All in all a great experience, good food and tea and an homage to a little bit of civility of a lost age.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sparta, New Jersey
“Everything I Tasted Was Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

It is not often that you visit a restaurant and everything you taste is excellent, but that was my first experience at Joseph's Restaurant. For appetizers I tried the Crab Cake and the Mussels Fra Diavolo. The Crab Cake had a nice crunchy exterior and was very large and was filled with almost all crab. It was served with a flavorful chipotle aioli. The Mussels were served in a large bowl and the fra diovolo sauce was delicious. The portion was huge as there were over thirty mussels in that large bowl. The assortment of bread they provide, which was also fresh and tasty, came in handy to soak up some of the left over fra diovolo sauce. The house salad had plenty of cranberries and the Italian house dressing complemented the salad perfectly. My main course was the Filet Mignon. The cut was as tender as can be and my knife cut through it like butter. It was cooked perfectly. It was served was string onions, zucchini and carrots. The onions had a salty flavor that really worked well with the Filet. The zucchini and carrots were cooked just right. As a side dish I had the mashed sweet potatoes and of course they tasted great. Too bad I was too stuffed for dessert; I'm sure that also would have been delicious. The atmosphere was excellent as the tables are spaced nicely and the table size for two people was bigger than normal. The only thing I found interesting was they asked for a $5 surcharge to order a Caesar Salad in place of the House Salad with the Filet. Interesting because on the menu the Caesar Salad only costs $3 more than the House salad. Regardless, this is a restaurant that should be visited by anyone looking for a great meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greenport, New York
“Good Evening in Hyde Park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had just enjoyed a day of historical site seeing and was thirsty for a good glass of wine and a savory steak. I was not disappointed on either craving. I was a little worried when I arrived and found the restaurant mostly empty with the exception of their catering hall. I was quickly invited in and granted a perfect table with a view of the whole restaurant. The staff could not have been more kind and the ambiance was exactly what I was looking for. I could hear Frank playing in the background, as the waitress was quick to find an answer to my request to forgo the potatoes and salad for fresh asparagus. I was happy to find my request granted and I was not disappointed when my filet mignon and asparagus arrived quite quickly after my order was placed. This restaurant is not the Wollensky but it does offer a friendly staff and an unexpected high level of culinary delight. I gave this restaurant a 3 out of 5 for the friendly atmosphere and quality of food. I must add the restaurant was empty because they were closing. I had no idea just how friendly they were until I asked if I could have one more glass of wine as I read one last chapter in a book I brought along. They graciously insisted that I enjoy another glass and read with no pressure to depart. Thank you, Charles

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for the nice comments. I try to read and answer almost every review. I am a little lost on how to answering your review. Your comments { I was thirsty for a good glass of wine and a savory steak. I was not disappointed on either craving. The staff could not have been more kind and the ambiance was exactly what I was looking for. I could hear Frank playing in the background, as the waitress was quick to find an answer to my request to forgo the potatoes and salad for fresh asparagus. I was happy to find my request granted and I was not disappointed when my filet mignon and asparagus arrived quite quickly after my order was placed. offers a friendly staff and an unexpected high level of culinary delight.} My problem is after reading these nice comments how did you ever come up with a three stars rating? Joseph
“Amazing food and drinks in an unexpected place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We were only looking for good ribs,but found one of the best steakhouses in the Hudson valley. First of all the escargot was delicious, and so was the crock of French onion soup. We were surprised to receive a free bottle of champagne from the wedding party in the banquet hall nearby, and the drinks we ordered were phenomenal. My wife (who is pregnant) ordered the hibiscus lemonade and loved it. I ordered the Anjou chili and orange infused margarita which was excellent, with the perfect blend of tequila and citrus flavor (the waiter said they infuse the tequila with their own citrus creations.) You better have a DD. The prime rib was easily the best I have ever had. It was medium/rare-rare, and literally melts in your mouth. My wife had been wanting baby back ribs for days (it was her birthday), and she wasn't disappointed. These ribs were also amazing. All around the service was amazing as well. The menu was expensive and the service was what you would expect when you are paying those prices. It was our first time at Joseph's and we are already looking forward to our next excursion. Worth the trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere