“Relaxing Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 42 Restaurants in Hyde Park
Cuisines: Bakery
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert
Description: The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe showcases the talents of the CIA's baking and pastry arts students and faculty, and features sumptuous baked goods and cafe cuisine. The full menu is available for takeout or to enjoy in our relaxed, reservation-free dining area. The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe received awards for "Best Desserts" and "Best Lunch Spot" in Hudson Valley Magazine's annual "Best Of The Hudson Valley" awards.
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Relaxing Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Apple Pie Bakery has become so popular that I've seen long lines for lunch, so it was nice to go for a late breakfast around 9:30am and be there with tables of CIA students. We didn't have to wait long for our food, and there were empty tables, so we didn't feel guilty about staying and chatting even after we've finished eating. Then we had time to purchase a few more items to go!
I had a ham and cheese croissant/pastry and nutella latte (and orange juice!) I couldn't drink everything and they offered to-go cups to me to take the beverages home without my prompting. My friend didn't finish her scones and they gave us a sleeve for the scone and a paper bag for the sleeve. I also purchased 6 good sized brioche donut holes ($1.99), 2 brioche donuts and a chocolate croissant to go. All my food and beverage and take-out came to $20.80 or so. : ) (The croissants were good, didn't get to touch the donuts, but by the way they were consumed by the kids, they were good too.)
The weather was great to look out into the courtyard and see the fountain there and a group students who were obviously in a class that had moved outdoors.
After we left the bakery, we strolled around the grounds in front of the main building and enjoyed the view of the fountain and the blooming lavender and potted plants there.
Parking was very convenient, just have to be aware that there is construction which narrowed the drive out to the exit to route 9.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Can't say enough about the friendliness of the student/staff at the CIA. Smiles, great pasty breakfast with lots of choices. The campus is beautiful with veggies worked into the landscaping. Pristine and beautiful. Wish I was able to tour the CIA, but did not allow enough time to make the tour at 4pm. If you are in the area, a visit to the CIA is a must.

Visited August 2013
Metuchen, New Jersey
“Great for breakfast and lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

You have to try this for lunch or breakfast. The food is excellent with great variety. Pulled pork sandwich really surprised me! Big enough for 2 and real barbecue flavor and melt in your mouth tender. Servers are students in training so please be patient if they make an error...no tipping allowed. What can I tell you...we loved it!

Visited June 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
“Fancy and Comfortable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I are not the most comfortable in a fine dining atmosphere, but we both felt like this was a great way to experience fabulous food in a comfortable environment. We didn't know anything about the CIA except what we learned through TripAdvisor, but we decided to give it a shot. Finding parking and our way to the restaurants wasn't the clearest, but people on the campus were extremely friendly and helped us find our way. It was very loud in the café area, but the grounds and the view was beautiful. We ordered and had a wonderful barbeque sandwich, cauliflower soup, and turkey sandwich. I would say skip French fries, because they weren't anything special and save room for dessert. They had run out of the tiramisu that I wanted, but the desserts we did receive were phenomenal. We will return to the other restaurants if we are in the area again or check out the other campuses if when we're in Texas and California.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, SC
“Make a quick stop for a gourmet treat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The quality and the presentation of these sweets make the visit pleasantly surprising, although a bit pricey. You can view the students in the food preparation area through plexiglass windows. Construction at the school made it difficult to park.

Visited June 2013