“Educational experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ristorante Caterina de' Medici

Ristorante Caterina de' Medici
1946 Campus Drive, The Culinary Institute of America in the Colavita Center, Hyde Park, NY 12538
+1 845-871-6608
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Caterina de' Medici is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 42 restaurants in Hyde Park
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Truly authentic regional Italian cuisine takes center stage at Ristorante Caterina de' Medici, a sophisticated dining room overlooking a stunning herb and rose garden, and the Hudson River. Or enjoy wood oven pizza and other simple rustic dishes in the more casual Al Forno Trattoria. Dining at this grand Tuscan-style villa is a culinary escape to another world without ever having to leave the beautiful Hudson Valley.
New York City, New York
“Educational experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The restaurants on the CIA campus are all run by the students as a part of their training, so one must take that into account when rating a place. It's nice to see the future of the industry taking their first steps into the public arena. That being said, it kind of has a "clubhouse" type feel, as everyone works/goes to class/lives together. Also the service was a bit spotty, but the semester just started and it may have been this guy's first week waiting tables ever.
The food was very good. We ate at Al Forno and had a front row seat to the open kitchen.We had the bar snacks (olives, hummus, and almonds), and 2 pizzas. The Bianca pizza was the stand out. Pears, ricotta, truffle oil. YUM! Also the chocolate budino was amazing. The cream wasn't sweet, which I liked, and there was a liberal dusting of salt over the top. (I love salt on desserts, this practice started a few years ago, and I'm a fan)
Next time I'll make a reservation and eat in the main dining room. Overall it was a fun experience

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

While visiting our son in the area in January, we went to the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY for lunch. We dined at the Caterina de Medici Restaurant and were surprised and thrilled to find out that on Mondays through Thursdays from January to March, three-course meals are priced at $21.95. You can order anything off of the menu. Since some of the entrees alson are more than this price, it's a real deal. Since this is a teaching restaurant, there can be some glitches, but they worked to our benefit. The chef was demonstrating my primi piatti (wild mushroom risotto) and it was taking longer, so they sent out an extra appetizer - their amazing homemade buffalo mozzarella. Our main courses were delicious as were our desserts. Coffee was included in the price. Of course, the setting was beautiful and the service was top rate. We also enjoyed watching students learn to change tablecloths - quite a procedure! If you are able to get there this winter, you won't be sorry.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rhinebeck, New York
“Insulting and obnoxious- Al Forno”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Tonight I wanted to celebrate with my son. We wanted an early meal so I called Al Forno since they serve from 11-6. I called ahead and was told there was no time we had to be there by but the woman said if it was her, she'd be there by 5:30. We live 20 minutes away. We left at 5, hit a bit of unusual traffic, parked and arrived inside at 5:31(on my iphone). The man behind the bar (not one of the students) said no way- last seating at 5:30. I said I called and no one said anything about a last seating and besides it was 5:30. Oh no, he pointed to the clock on the wall that was a couple of minutes later than my iphone - it's past 5:30. We left and had a fabulous meal at The Local in Rhinebeck. Thanks guy behind the bar for being so obnoxious- we had a much better meal.

• Visited December 2012
Williamsville
“Wonderful evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We dined here last week, and everything about our experience was simply wonderful. Service was top notch, and all of our food was delicious. Our server even gave us a tour of the restaurant and kitchen before we were seated. For starters we had a tart filled with green chard and truffled fontina, and breasola with arugula and grana padano (see uploaded photos). We decided to pass on the pasta courses. We would have loved to try a pasta dish or two, but we knew we had to make choices. We went right to the entrees and chose a duck breast and a red wine braised lamb shank. They were both great. My lamb just fell right off of the bone! We could not resist dessert. I had the best tiramisu I have ever had, while the companion ordered a hazelnut cake with cold zabaione. The menu here is very inventive. You can find venison here, as well as a pasta in a sauce with boar meat. The wine list is great. It's probably a good thing I don't live closer!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“My favorite at the CIA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I think this restaurant offers the best value at the CIA. Though the students in this room are fairly new to the school (and in training) the experience does not disappoint. The food is outstanding, and the price is right. Like all the CIA restaurants, though, it is tough to get reservations and they are only open when the school is in session.

Visited January 2012