“Beers ok, food wonderful!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
NJ
“Beers ok, food wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Starting with the 6-beer sampler for $9, there were really only 2 beers we liked, but then we ordered dinner...the Grand Prize Chicken Sandwich was phenomenal! Even ordered an extra one to go. Ask the wait staff about drink specials, as nobody informed us there were pitcher specials and we probably could have saved some $$. Would definitely return next time we're in the area.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Houston, Texas
“Great Pub food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Lots of artisan beer to select from, and all of them were enjoyed by our group. The fish and chip entree and the hamburgers were excellent, and the waitress staff was efficient and friendly.

Visited November 2012
New York
“So dreary and old fashioned we didn't stay to eat.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I can't comment of the food at this establishment, or indeed the beer becasue we couldn't bring ourselves to stay long enough at this dark and dreary place to find out. We should have been warned when we walked into a silent bar where the staff where gathered around reading a newspaper, but we had been planning to try this place for a while and so overlooked the soul less welcome we received. Once we were seated however, the lack of atmosphere of the place became harder to overlook. It was as though a dementor had been through and sucked all the joy out of the place. There were very few diners, and they were mostly elderly. The dining area was dark and old fashioned looking and not too clean looking either. There was debris on the floor around my feet even though must have been the first to sit at this table for the lunch shift and the table was dirty and smeared looking. Worst of all, the whole place was so silent. I'm not a fan of invasive loud music, but this place needed some back ground music at least. It was so quiet we could actually hear other diners chewing and for some reason the chewing was really loud!! It was like being in the Twilight zone! We were approached by a young man who introduced himself as our server and went on to explain the menu and the specials. By the time he had finished we were all half asleep. He just went on and on in this lazy disinterested way, yet had so much to say. When he asked what drinks we wanted we told him to give us a moment and decided that we had to get out and go somewhere with a bit of life. We took the opportunity to leave and went to the local diner instead. Despite being fans of Brew pubs we certainly would not come back to this one.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely the best schnitzel I've ever had! The best tasting beer I've ever had! We all enjoyed our meals immensely. Afterwards we went down the road to go roller skating!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Highland, New York
“Go for the brew only if you bother going”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This is my third trip there, and my last, to do a post movie dinner. Each of the three times I was disappointed by my food. I got the sauerbraten Saturday- which was dry and tough. It was like going to a relatives who can't cook, but having to pay $17 for it. Brau Haus sauerbraten was the last I had before this- delish btw. Waitress didn't ask for the salad dressing we wanted, just gave us house. Somehow the mashed potatoes they have are also unappetizing. Dry overcooked bland food each time I've gone. Don't waste your time. The dining area hasn't had an update in about thirty years I would say honesty. Sorry but three strikes, and your out.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere