“Superb food, great value !” 5 of 5 stars

+1 845-871-6608
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
American Bounty is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Hyde Park
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: With a focus on the seasons and products of the Hudson Valley, contemporary and traditional regional dishes are brought to life at the American Bounty Restaurant in an honest and flavorful way. Rounded out with a first-class American wine list and comfortable warm service, this casually elegant restaurant sets the stage for an unparalleled dining experience in New York's Hudson Valley.
Wappingers Falls, New York
“Superb food, great value !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went to have the three course prix fixe dinner, which is $30, offered January thru March.

Elegant setting.

We were pleasantly surprised that virtually everything on the á la carte listing was
available as a prix fixe selection.

I chose the Sautéed Shrimp and Chorizo Sausage as my appetizer.
It was nicely done; shrimp cooked just right, chorizo tasty and not overly spicy.

My entree was swordfish with white polenta and fennel. The swordfish was the
best I ever had, done perfectly. Polenta was very nice. Fennel was slightly
over cooked, but acceptable.

The portions were certainly adequate. Granted, I am not a big eater, but I was full
after the first two courses and took the dessert (Lemon Meringue Tart) home.

Service was always with a smile or a pleasant face. Requests were quickly granted.

• Visited February 2013

Hyde Park, New York
“American cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Bounty is one of the restaurants at the CIA, and some would say it's the best. The emphasis is elegant dining on American cuisine, using American products. The service is perfect, and the food is absolutely fantastic all the time. Get a meal here, and you simply cannot go wrong.

Visited October 2012
New York
“Exquisite presentation, extraordinary preparation, remarkable value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

As a former nationally-acclaimed restaurateur, I feel totally qualified to recommend this dining experience as one of the premier dining experiences one can find, rivaling the finest NYC restaurants. Buttermilk fried oysters, Mussels in Coconut-Curry broth, Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, poblano shortbread biscuits, every dish presented is a work of visual art. It had been my impression over the years before I called the evening before my anticipated visit that it was impossible to obtain a reservation. Fortunately, although they were quite busy, I was able to get the reservation. The wholesome, enthusiastic, welcoming attitude of the students who handle every aspect of the experience in the most magnificent of settings transports you from the moment to some sort of parallel reality. This is a don't miss dining experience, presented with generosity, class, and quality. The food is unimaginably delicious, ultra fresh, prepared and served with elegance and non-intrusive attention to every detail - so spectacularly proffered - generous and beyond excellent. Easy to get there - can do it with a MetroNorth Railroad out of Grand Central Station in NYC to Poughkeepsie Station - taxis for $7 await the trains and take you the short distance to this gorgeous, picture postcard location where you will feel as if you are in the Twilight Zone, because every single person is so very lovely and friendly and everything is perfection. Stop in the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe after dining at the American Bounty Restaurant and make sure to have a Lemon Meringue Tart - do not leave without experiencing that! My lunch - with two - not one - appetizers, the short ribs, a glass of Roederer Estate Sparkling Rose and a glass of Port and homemade cranberry soda from a rolling cart - with tip and tax was $71.00.

• Visited January 2013
NH
“MUTINY AT THE AMERICAN BOUNTY ROOM”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have dined at various CIA restaurants since 1978. Until our most recent trip, we always enjoyed the cuisine, talking with the students and staff, and trying new foods. When we dined at the American Bounty Room in September 2012, however, we were quite disappointed with the food, the preparation, and the attitude of the wait-staff (students). I ordered a hanger steak, and requested that it be cooked well done – cooked all the way through. The waiter, a CIA student, instructed us that the designation was called "medium well push." My spouse ordered the swordfish. When the servers brought the various courses, they failed to space the flatware far enough apart, so they set the plates for each course down ON the flatware, then fumbled with the flatware and the dish to correct the problem. The steak came out rare. When I cut into the meat, with blood running onto the plate, I asked if that was considered well done. The server gave some mumble-mouthed excuse about that is how an aged hanger steak looked well done. Believe us, it was RAW. We took it home to cook it the next day. One course, a selection of cheeses, was not brought to our table; we felt we were being rushed through the meal for the next seating. The molten chocolate cake was fairly ordinary. I ordered a hazelnut espresso and got a plain coffee instead, which also required a correction. The meal was definitely not worth $200. It was poorly presented, the staff was klutzy, and they did not want to hear any complaints. Since my husband did not retain the comment card, I emailed the restaurant requesting they send me one, and there was no response to my request. We have noticed this type of attitude recently at places we have dined run by CIA grads, which makes us begin to wonder what the CIA faculty is teaching or about the character of the students they accept. Now when we see a restaurant where they tout the chef’s CIA credentials, we are quite wary. A note about dress code: we were advised “Business casual (collared shirt and dress or chino-style slacks) attire is preferred.” The person at the next table had long hair, which he continually “flipped” through the meal, and he was dressed in grubby short-short pants, leaving little to the imagination, a tank top displaying a considerable amount of body hair, and cowboy boots. The odor from that table was not food related. We hope in the future such displays of unsanitary dress will be seated elsewhere.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Williamsville
“A wonderful special occasion dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The companion and I dined at this CIA restaurant last week for my birthday dinner. Service and food were exceptional. We were offered an assortment of freshly basked breads to start. The companion chose PEI mussels for his appetizer, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I ordered a goat cheese tart that was delectable (see uploaded photo). The companion chose their 30th anniversary special strip loin for his entree. He loved it. I tasted it and agreed it was the best strip loin either of us had ever had. The compound butter atop the strip loin was to die for. My entree was the Hudson Valley duck breast. It was perfectly cooked, and I loved the green peppercorn sauce. Portions were generous. I finished with a cheese plate, and the companion had a scoop of pistachio ice cream. We could not have asked for a better experience! Our server even arrived at the end with a plate of cookies as a birthday surprise.

• Visited November 2012