“Very nice, clean , friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Southern New England
“Very nice, clean , friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed 2 nights here in two different rooms. The first night, we were in the room called 'the Inn on Seminary Ridge' which was basically a 2 story house with 2 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and a 2 person hot tub in the master bath. It also had a private patio with a great view of the first day's battlefield on MacPherson's ridge. The second evening, we were in a regular 2-queen bed room. The Inn one Seminary Ridge was great, the second room was your basic, run of the mill strip motel room. However, I will say that both rooms were very clean, the pool was very clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was mostly cold items (although there were sausages and eggs) and there was a staffmember there replenishing the items both days. The area for the breakfast was a bit small with only 5 tables. The brew pub that was on site also had a great selection of beers, and good pub fare. After a really bad experience in another Gettysburg hotel, I can say that I wouldn't hesitate to go back to this QI if I were in the area again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

421 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
MISSISSAUGA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

This hotel is our first choice when we go to Gettysburg. We have stayed on three occasions. Our two teen boys prefer this hotel over one of the other more central locations we had to stay at on one of our visits because of its setting.

We have stayed in two different rooms, #130 and #138 and these rooms are both oversized giving you extra floor space compared to most standard hotel rooms. They also offer queen sized rooms which is something I always look for because my husband and boys are tall.

It's true that the room look dated but it is not due to needing updating. They are meant to suit the setting of Gettysburg rather than your typical room and they have great character because of that.

I saw the pool being maintained each morning and the breakfast area has been expanded to provide extra seating room. Breakfast is what they regard as deluxe meaning that in addition to the standard breads, fruit and yogurt they provide eggs and sausage which serves our purposes well so that we don't spend time looking for a place to have breakfast.

It is very close to the core of Gettysburg (only 2 or 3 minutes) and we have never had a problem finding parking even though we have always gone during peak season.

There is also the Appelachian Brew Restaurant within the property grounds for dinner after a long day sightseeing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

the room was very clean and spacious, the staff were super nice, the location is right on the battlefield and after a walking around in the heat the pool was most refreshing. In the evening we had dinner at ABC right on the premises – the food there is ok bar food but they have a nice variety of beers that hit the spot. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

We immediately tried to book extra nights as soon as we arrived and entered our room. It was nice to have a really comfortable bed and lots of space (having just come from Manhattan). Great spot to stay while enjoying the area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The plus about this hotel: inexpensive compared to other hotels in the city, and less than a 3-4 minute drive to the "city center"

The minuses: it's a "cheap" hotel.... it is a Quality Inn' and exactly that. The rooms are as basic as they get (although I must say they Made An Attempt at the Art by hanging up Civil War paintings....). In a nutshell: you get what you pay for. If you are looking for something quaint or interesting, this is not the place. The breakfast is just as basic as the hotel (as in, I could only stomach an English muffin and yogurt). Staff: friendly, because they were paid to be.

Basically, if you're looking for a deal and a place to just sleep, this is it. Not bad at all, just nothing to write home about. Just a place to lay your head, like the soldiers did...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

My fiancé and I stayed at the Quality Inn at General Lee’s Headquarters in late June. It was our first time visiting Gettysburg so we were hoping for a great hotel stay. After reading all of the great reviews on this hotel we were really excited to stay here. Unfortunately, this was not the case; our hotel stay was less than pleasant. Because I am asthmatic, I normally choose hotels that are smoke-free; however there were so many great reviews and since I was reassured by the front desk upon phoning that we were definitely going to be given a non-smoking room “far away from any smoking rooms,” I felt that it was definitely going to be okay. However, the problems began the first morning we were there. We decided to sleep in and then go to the pool around 10:30. Upon exiting our room we noticed an overwhelming smoke smell, and three doors down we noticed several maids with at least one of them smoking. The smoke was just wafting down right into our faces and into our room. (This whole side of rooms was supposed to be non-smoking!) I was definitely bothered but hoped it was a one-time occurrence and we went to the pool. We stayed there for about an hour and then came back to our room. The maids were once again about 3 doors down from our room with at least one of them smoking. We couldn’t leave our hotel door open without smoke wafting in, and I couldn’t help pack the car or even stand out there for fear of an asthma attack.
I went to the front desk and politely told them about the situation. The person I talked to really didn’t seem to care that much. I told her I requested a non-smoking room for a reason and was assured upon check-in that we were far away from smoke. Her first reply was that she didn’t think that the maid (she said her name) on our side smoked. I said to her that there were several maids on our side not just one, and at least one of them was smoking. She then told us, “Oh, well they’re probably just on their break.” Like as if it were no big deal! I then said, "we left our room at 10:30 (they were smoking) came back at 11:30 (still smoking), that’s a pretty long break"! She then asked us if we wanted a room change or some room spray! I could not believe it; she wanted us to move all of our luggage to another room. Why not ask the maids to stop smoking outside of NON-SMOKING rooms. Obviously, they’re non-smoking for a reason; people who reserve them do not want to inhale smoke. Finally, after explaining to her that we did not want to move all of our luggage (we were on a road trip, and had quite a bit of luggage), she finally said she would tell them to stop. We saw her go out there, and then left to sight see for the day. The next morning, more maids and more smoke three doors down from our room. I could not stay outside for any length of time except to walk from the car to the hotel room. We checked out that morning, and I did not bother going back to the front desk since it was obvious that my concerns or my health was not a priority here at the hotel.
It seems silly to have non-smoking rooms, if the hotel allows the maids to blow their smoke right next/into them. I’m sure there are other areas (other than right in front of non-smoking rooms) where they could go to take a break and smoke their cigarettes since that seemed very important to them. I would understand if there were other guests smoking; the hotel could not very well do much about that; however, I would expect that the employees of the hotel would be respectful of the guests staying in NON-SMOKING rooms, and that if it became a problem (like it did for me) that something would have been done about it. Judging by the fact that the next morning the same thing happened all over again, it appeared that no action had really been taken.
I emailed the hotel as soon as I arrived home and received no response, I then emailed Choice hotel, and finally received an email that said the hotel was sorry for not meeting my standards. I really don’t think I had that high of standards to think that non-smoking rooms shouldn’t have smoke being blown into them by employees of the hotel. They also advised me that corrective action was taken. Well, the “corrective action” they took after I visited the front desk really didn’t do anytthing, so I don’t expect much. However, I guess I don’t have to worry about it because I will NEVER stay here again.
Additionally, the room was very small; the TV was set awkwardly on a little stand near the door and there was a huge dresser right next to that. It made for a very tight fit for just two people. (We booked a standard one bed room.) The room was decently clean (the first morning I was lying in bed and heard the maids discussing in front of our door what and why some rooms had the do not disturb signs on their door….rude) and the location was okay. It is located away from the really busy areas which was nice (less traffic and crowds.) The one big positive: a really nice pool, I guess it was great for getting out of your smoky non-smoking room though. Never again, hotel definitely was a disappointment. We should have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed during Reenactment weekend in the Fireside Suite. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Staff very pleasant and accommodating. It was an extremely hot weekend and the air conditioning worked beautifully. Almost hated to leave the room. Great location. We walked to town and learned you can pick up a bus near the theater, (although I'm sure there are closer locations). Definitely worth $3.00 for the day. LOTS of town traffic. Bus took us to the National Cemetery, beautiful and solemn place, The Visitors Center, maybe we were just aggravated but I thought it was a big tourist trap. Then to the Boyd’s Bear Factory (great lunch buffet). All the reenactors love what they do, are very knowledgeable and work very hard. They were out in extreme heat all day until sunset. However, the reenactment at the battlefield was far away and we were a little disappointed. We had bleacher seats and would recommend them.The only suggestion for the hotel is they add a couple more tables with umbrellas by the pool. Loved the place, location and the people. Had a wonderful time.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters? Share your experiences!