“On Sacred Ground....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Philadelphia, PA
“On Sacred Ground....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I have been going to Gettysburg since 2005 and have stayed 4 or 5 other motels in the area, Quality Inn at Lee's HQ is our favorite. Let me start with the staff. Always helpful, professional and ready to go the extra mile to make you comfortable and at home. There is a wonderful little breakfast bar where you can have breakfast, read the free USA Today or Gettysburg paper, catch up on the news on the flat screen TV. Of course it is also common to get into discussions of the battle all the while looking out at Herbst Woods, scene of fierce fighting by the Iron Brigade and where General Reynolds fell visible right out the window. You are on the Battlefield. The railroad cut is 400 yards away to the west and the Lutheran Seminary is the same distance south.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and period style. Every room we have been in has plenty of outlets to plug your gadgets in. The beds are always comfortable and inviting. Flat screens are standard and a very large selection of TV stations to choose from. Every room has a coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board
Some suites offer Jacuzzi tubs to soak your bones after a long day of tramping the battlefield. As well as refrigerators and microwaves. (check the room description before booking if you want those options) You have an assigned parking space for your room so you never have to worry about a spot that's close. There is an outdoor pool for use in the summer months that comes in handy on hot days as well.
Out in front is the Widow Thompson's house where General Lee took some meals and planned the battle. (His actual HQ tent was across the street) It is now a free museum and gift shop downstairs and a suite you can rent upstairs.
Beside it is the Appalachian Brewing Company Restaurant with good food and many varieties of fresh unique beer. Try the PA pretzel logs... they are off the hook!
Next time you are headed for Gettysburg, give Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters a try. I seriously doubt you will want to stay anywhere else.

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

This property is clean comfortable and in a good location.
The staff are very helpful.
With free internet and breakfast it's good value, my only negative would be that the beds are small and that the bathrooms tiles are very slippery so for an older couple this would be an issue.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

A friend and I stayed there while visiting the battlefield. (couple of old guys who like history) We found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy but we didn't expect that. It's a great location with history right outside your door. From there I could see places where some of my ancestors had been in battle. The staff was nice and the breakfast was good. I would go back. By the way, we got a tour guide at the visitors center and he was worth every cent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Hotel was somehow given Choice Hotels Platinum award but after staying here in a standard room my guess is they only took into consideration a suite or two. The furnishings were wore out, bed was uncomfortable and the room we stayed in didn't have any liners on the curtains so it was very bright. That is until I told the lady at the front desk, she supplied me with 2 sheets to hang on the windows!! I'm serious! After looking at the curtains some more you could see where someone had cut the liners off. Really weird! Breakfast was fair and staff was friendly, but room was a dump for the price paid.

• Stayed October 2013
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We pulled up in front of this quaint and charming motel and I instantly had deja'vu. I had stayed here many, MANY moons ago as a kid. What a coincidence that I selected (unbeknownst to me) the same motel in our visit to Gettysburg! It was a hoot and the motel was way better than I remembered. The rooms were exceptionally clean and the bathrooms have been completely updated from my first visit way back when. I usually prefer a modern decor however I found the decor at general Lee's to be perfect for the location (which is right across from one of the battlefields) and town. The staff is super-friendly and the complimentary breakfast was a great way to start our day (and the beds were comfy) We will be back and this time, it won't be as long between visits!!

Room Tip: Be sure to visit the little museum in the gift shop on the grounds.

Lancaster, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have traveled and stayed in many hotels during my career. I have to say that this trip was the most enjoyable. I cannot tell you what a pleasure it was to stay at General Lee's Headquarters. The staff, the cleanleness of the rooms, the courtesy entended to us was overwhelming !!!!!!!!! I plan on returning to Gettysburg in the spring and will most definately stay there again. I would highly recommend to all my friends to stay at this hotel. I guarantee you will be completly satisfied.

Elyria, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have been staying here for over 26 years, four to five times a year. The rooms are cozy, clean and safe and the staff go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. It sits right of the First Day of the Battlefield and was Lee's Headquarters.

Room Tip: Call early as these rooms do sell out fast.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters? Share your experiences!