“Old-fashioned charm and modern amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Richmond VA
“Old-fashioned charm and modern amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

This is just the old-fashioned independent motel you always hope to find: clean, comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. We were greeted warmly and professionally by the innkeeper. Everything about the inn seemed fresh and well-maintained but with the character and charm of another generation. Our room was large and comfortably furnished, with a lovely updated all-tile bathroom. It was a foggy night when we checked in, so we were delighted to wake to find a beautiful view of McPherson's ridge, monuments and split rail fences. Breakfast was in a lovely dining area with a view across the fields. Right next door is Appalachian Brewing Company, where we had good pub fare and delicious craft brews.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters once a year starting in 2009. Last week was my fifth stay there. The place has undergone many improvements during the past year. Before, it was somewhat of a time warp experience, like maybe Dick Clark and American Bandstand might appear if you turned on the clunky old TV that sat on a wheeled cart. This year, there's a large flat panel TV mounted on the wall, newly renovated bathrooms, and a fresh, energetic and friendly staff to greet your arrival. The free breakfast is vastly improved as well, and now includes a friendly employee who clears tables and makes conversation. You cannot go wrong with this place: It's clean, up to date, friendly, and a huge bargain. Did I mention the perfect location right on the edge of the battlefield? Don't miss it: go!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Conway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This year was our 8th or 9th consecutive stay at this particular hotel, and all I can say is there is a very good reason Choice Hotels gives them awards year after year. Apart from the history of the property, which I highly recommend you research, the amenities of this hotel are wonderful. The rooms are always wonderfully clean, the staff is friendly, and it wants for nothing in customer service. There is a wonderful brewery-restaurant on site that is a nice treat if you don't feel like crossing town to eat and the beer is very tasty! We always stay at New Years for the town's celebration and have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: There are a few specialty suites with fireplaces or whirlpools, or individual "lodges" acr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Louis M, General Manager at Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! We value your opinion and appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience. We sincerely hope to see you again when in Gettysburg. From all of us at the Quality Inn at General Lee’s Headquarters, we wish you a very Happy New Year!
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed in a regular room over Thanksgiving weekend. I have been in many hotels from NYC to Beijing, China. I found this to be a quaint hotel that is in a GREAT location! We were impressed by the general manager's thoughtfulness to provide a fruit basket as a way to thank us for staying with them over the holiday.

I read other postings and people complained about the free breakfast - I found it to be better than some places I've stayed. Not every hotel offers this option (including the Grand Hyatt Regency in NYC). If it's FREE, don't complain. I thought there was an adequate selection, which may have been updated since some of the complaints - there was a basket full of fruit (bananas, oranges, apples), several types of cereal, oatmeal, English muffins, bagels, and breads with a toaster next to them, coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate and juices, as well as eggs and sausage patties to make a breakfast sandwich or eat by themselves.

People busted on the museum...Yes, it is small, but you are there to learn about history and my husband and I found what they had to be amazing pieces - you have to look at them for their historic value and how they were used in the battle, not the quantity and size of the building. It was neatly displayed and adequately explained. Bear in mind - that is an original building, which was someone's house. They did not have McMansions back in the day people! We enjoyed the museum and give kuddos to the owners for preserving it's history. Being well-traveled and educated, I have also been to many museums (again, in NYC, Washington, D.C., China) and I wasn't disappointed by this one. People like to complain and see the surface, not the intrinsic value or quality.

The location is incredible - right by the monuments and battlefields, quiet, and you do get to see beautiful sunsets/sunrises. We enjoyed our stay, despite issues with our door lock, and we have reservations to stay in one of the suites over Easter weekend (returning with family) - we highly recommend this hotel!

As a bonus, we also got a coupon book for local eateries and attractions such as ghost tours. We took advantage of the booklet and the owners of the establishments valued our patronage. Everyone in Gettysburg was friendly (keep in mind - you get what you give)! If you are into ghosts, take the Farnsworth tour - it was an awesome piece of history. Ghosts are like animals - you can't control them, so you might not always see one on a tour (I saw a complaint about this) - they even tell you that when you pay. Take a digital camera and take a lot of pictures - you may be surprised by what you capture. It was our first time doing a ghost tour, and later, a ghost hunt. Both had great, knowledgeable staff and we hope to do more tours when we return!

Room Tip: We had a corner room and it was perfectly quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
It was truly a pleasure reading your review this morning. We are always looking at ways to improve upon. One such area as you mentioned was our Free Continental Breakfast. Our selection has increased and our menu will be changing daily. We also offer several Packages which coincide with our historical location.
I did see your name in our system this Easter and look forward to your return! From all of us at the Quality Inn at General Lee’s Headquarters, have a wonderful New Year!
Avondale, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here on Remembrance Day Weekend. We stayed in the Oakridge Suite. It a clean, comfy the whirl pool was clean and very relaxing. We has a patio with a table and 4 chairs. A perfect getaway for my husband and I.
Staff was nice and very helpful to my questions regarding future availability. The eating area was packed but that is to expected when having a large event going on in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louis M, General Manager at Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Jenny,
The Oakridge Mini-Suites are a few of our more popular suites. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you returning next year. We are looking into expanding our breakfast area during major events. From the staff at the Quality Inn, we thank you for selecting us for your getaway. Happy Holidays!
Massapequa Park, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have been coming to this hotel since the 70's. I am a 42 year old father of 3. We recently have been to Gettysburg in August 2012. We always stay at the Quality Inn because of the staff and proximity to the battlefield. It has been and will always be the place my family will stay. As a child we stayed becasue it has a pool, now my children feel the same. I hope to pass on the Gettysburg experience to my children as was done to me by my parents. I hope to pass this hotel as the place to start that journey with there children.

Robert Eck, Long Island NY

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Louis M, General Manager at Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Wow, Thank You Robert E for including our property as part of your Family Tradition. We are honored that you and your family have continued to enjoy your stay with us throughout the years. Located at the Heart of the Battlefield with magnificent sunsets, this is truly a wonderful location to begin the Gettysburg Experience. We welcome you and your family to begin your journey at the Quality Inn for many generations to come. Please contact me prior to your next visit to Gettysburg.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed while on a trip to tour some of the civil war battlefields. We had been to Gettysburg about 8 years ago and stayed at Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters on that trip. So when I began to plan this recent trip, there was no question as to where we would stay when we visited Gettysburg again. Even though I had suggested staying somewhere different; my husband wouldn't even consider another place. He reminded me that this was a very nice, clean, comfortable motel and that the location was so great. Situated across the road from the battlefield was definitely a big plus. We also like the fact this is an older motel, one level, with your own designated parking outside your front door, and with a certain charm to the whole place. The breakfast was good with lots of choices. We were only there for one night and chose to eat in town although on our previous visit enjoyed eating at the Appalachian Brewery. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louis M, General Manager at Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Mary,
It was a pleasure reading your comment this afternoon. Thank you for deciding to stay with us again. Although I am somewhat bias, I must agree, there is a certain charm associated with our property. Again, thank you for staying with us again and hope to see you next year.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters? Share your experiences!