“Very accomodating” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
stc
“Very accomodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Very nice, quiet spot to stay. A very different pace from downtown hotels. I have stayed in both locations and have found both to be very nice. I do recommend this hotel due to it's unique location and the headquarters museum is a very nice added bonus. The staff is very friendly and always helpful. This location does accept single night stays unlike the downtown location, which is very nice for those of us that can only stay one night. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I chose this Quality Inn because of its location and historical connection to the battle. We had a good sized, comfortable room with a great view of the battlefield. The bed was fine and everything was very clean. The shower needed a little updating but was not a problem. There was a bit of road noise, but I would rather have that along with the intimate connection to the site. The continental breakfast was just ok, and the room was not large enough to accomodte everyone. The staff was very fiendly and helpful. Don't miss the attached museum.

Ronks, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Very clean, nice staff. They have many standard rooms which are nice, and it's in al;l the action without the downtown noise. Very quite battlefield ghost hunting or hiking without getting in the car.

Room Tip: For romance or extra privacy, ask to stay in the downstairs suite of little house right next to Lee...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I've been coming here since I was 3, and a backseat passenger in my family's frequent excursions to Gettysburg. In later years, my dad and I would go by ourselves. Then, it was me and my wife. When we wanted to bring my mom back to Gettysburg, as she'd not been for many years, we returned yet again. Even when they're booked up and we have to stay elsewhere for the bulk of the trip, we happily settle for just one night here. We ended up doing this the last two trips, and both times all we could talk about was our forthcoming night at Larson's.

I remember being 5 years old, and there being some issue here with the shower very late at night. The result of our phone call included Mr. Larson himself appearing at our door, in his coat and hat, to personally see to it.

Like many places, this one has changed, though not in ways I'd consider detrimental. The swiveling-pedestal TV's with the metal rectangular buttons have been replaced with wall-mounted flatscreens, no sign of the putting green remains, the generic hotel wall art has been replaced with your typical Dale Gallon Civil War prints, and the lucite keychains with the red-and-white room number sealed in have been replaced with ad-strewn keycards. However, the experience--and the familiarity of the place--remain. For some reason, I've always particularly loved the motel office, the perpetually clean smell of which hasn't changed. The doors are still the same, and still solid as ever. Lee's Museum, while the collection has dwindled, is still there, and one of the remaining museums that relies on the basic DISPLAY OF ARTIFACTS to tell its story (i.e. not phony virtual nonsense.) The railroad cut runs behind the property, and it's not a heavily traveled line, unfortunately for those of us who go in for that sort of thing. In NYC, the subway ran under our house every few minutes, but while we stayed here, my family and I would eagerly run out to the back lawn to watch the train go by as soon as we felt the rumble.

They clean the place fantastically, a welcome change from other places in town that don't vacuum up food between guests. Desk staff is always nice.

Appalachian Grill, while the sports bar atmosphere isn't what I seek in Gettysburg, serves up really, really good food. Of course, this is but the latest operation to use this space (I think it goes back to The High Pointe, J.D.'s, Muldoon's, General Lee's Family Restaurant, and the Dutch Pantry) though there are still vestiges of what I grew up with.

This always has been, and always will be, my favorite place to stay; I just wish so many other people didn't feel the same so I could get a room once in a while!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Can't say enough good things about this place. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The rooms were immaculate and very comfortable. The adjacent Applachan Brewing Company restaurant had excellent food. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I think any room or suite would be a good choice.
Fishers, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed in this hotel a week ago and after 2 night my husband and I received multiple bedbug bites. I had over 80 bites. Med center doctor confirmed they were bedbug bites. No problems at previous hotels with bites.

Room Tip: It is hard to find bedbugs! I checked!!
Lebanon, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The hotel staff was great, the breakfast pretty decent (although the coffee didn't make the grade), and the location was excellent. Being adjacent to Appalachian Brewing Company is a plus. Although clean and adequate, I thought the room was over-priced for the quality of the room and its appointments. Comfort was fine, and it served our needs well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters? Share your experiences!