“Return guest--LOVE this hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1863 Inn of Gettysburg

You added 1863 Inn of Gettysburg to your Saves list
1863 Inn of Gettysburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   516 Baltimore St., Gettysburg, PA 17325 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Special Rate
Winter Special
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Return guest--LOVE this hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

I am such a fan of this hotel! Two January's in a row, we have chosen to stay at the 1863 Inn....last year was wonderful but breakfast wasn't available for some reason...this past visit, breakfast was exceptional!! The little cheese omelets were yummmmy!!! I'm a huge fan of oatmeal, eggs & little bagels so I was in heaven! ;)

The hotel seemed to be very quiet when we came back from our ghost hunting activities that night. Quiet neighbors make me happy. :) I LOVE off season! I loved walking across the street to the Avenue diner & all the stores! (GO get a chocolate covered nutterbutter cookie at the sweet shop across the street!)

My only complaint was that the pillows were very flat! That was the only reason I didn't sleep well at all, but I'll just bring my own next time. ;) It's nothing personal against the hotel. The room was clean & comfy and fresh as always. Great cleaning crew! Thanks to them!

The young lady at the front desk (I want to say her name was Marie but I could be WAY off) was really really friendly & helpful....we both raved about the omelets. haha.

We will be returning next weekend with a little ghost hunting group (it's their first time in G-burg), so I'm hoping I can get my room by the pool again! (yes, even in the winter!)

Thanks for all you do to make the 1863 Inn an awesome place to stay!! :)

--April from NJ

PS--I LOVE that you accept pets....not that I have ever brought my furballs but it's nice to know it's an option.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Thank you for the wonderful comments! We are so glad that you enjoy your visits with us.
I do apologize for the flat pillows. We are in the process of replacing the pillows in each room. We do this during the off season while we deep clean every room in the building!
As for the Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast-it is a big hit! We try to provide a nice variety to start your day off right! We will make sure that the Housekeeping staff and the Front Desk Clerk knows how happy you were with the service they provided you. We do our best to make our visitors feel at home. We realize that you have many selections when it comes to lodging in Gettysburg-from big name hotels to small independent properties, such as our facility. We take great pride in this hotel. We will continue to provide the excellent service that our customers have come to expect. Your satisfaction is our main goal.
Thank you again for the review. We will see you when you return! Please feel free to call us at our toll free number-1-866-953-4483 if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a wonderful Valentines Day!!

Norma Herring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is an average hotel, no major things to complain about except one. I had just lugged all of my luggage with me into the elevator, and when it started to move, it stopped and got stuck. I was stuck in the hot elevator for about 10 minutes. I kept calling for help using my cell phone but the front desk kept hanging up on me.

• Stayed May 2010
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Thank you for the rating that you gave our hotel for your stay last May. I do apologize for the probelm with the elevator! The elevator repairmen were here that entire week working on the issue. They thought that they had the probelm taken care of but actually had to replace the phone. The front desk could not hear what was being said from inside the car. It is in working order now. Judging from the ratings you gave us it appears that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. We have an excellent housekeeping staff here. We take great pride in this hotel and do our best to keep all guests comfortable. I do hope that you will visit with us in the future. Please feel free to call us on our toll free number-1-866-953-4483 if you would like to make reservations. Again-I am very sorry for any inconvenience you may have been caused by the elevator malfunction.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I have to say that this atmosphere was not what I expected when I booked the hotel. This place is a typical airport style large hotel. But not new, it was like an old Days Inn. The desk clerk who checked us in did not even know where the Cyclorama was. This is one of the main attractions at the visitors center. (We really enjoyed it, it's a must see).
The room was decent but nothing was special about it. I had never been to Gettysburg before...now I want to bring our sons. It is an amazing and moving experience to see the battlefield. But this hotel will not be on my itinerary.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in October of last year. Our goal here at the 1863 Inn is to make sure that each guest has an enjoyable stay. From your comments I can see that we may have fallen short of that goal. I do apologize for any probelms you may have encountered. I am not sure how our Inn was described to you when you made your reservation. We are an older building formerly a Holiday Inn. We made the decision to go independent in 2009. We do not advertise that we are "new". We certainly do not consider our property a "typical airport style large hotel". I am not sure what your definition of an "Inn" is. We are very proud of this Inn and work very hard to keep our rooms clean and inviting. We are constantly making improvements to our property. We offer many of the amenities of larger Franchise hotels. Our rooms are well equipped. Each room offers a hair dryer, iron and ironing board and a coffee maker as well as FREE high speed internet service. We also offer our FREE "Rise and Shine" Breakfast to all hotel guests. Our outdoor pool is always inviting after a day of touring. And the fitness center is a big hit! Not many non-franchise hotels provide the amenities that we have here. And you can't beat the location!! I do apologize for the desk clerks lack of knowledge regarding the location of the Cyclorama. The clerk on duty was a wonderful young lady from Gettysburg College. We will see that all clerks not from this area are retrained in the location of the major attractions. There is so much to see and the Cyclorama has been moved to the new site which she apparently was not aware of. All guests are asked upon check out if their stay was an enjoyable one. The information you give us when you check out is so helpful in improving our service. I have checked our records from last October and found no indication of any complaint registered at check out. I do hope that you found the room to be clean and comfortable.Our front desk staff is on duty 24 hours a day to take care of whatever issues our guests may have. If you do decide to visit with us in the future please report any such problems to the front desk immediately. We are eagar to help solve any probelms our guests bring to our attention. We cannot address a problem if we are not aware that there is one. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Have a wonderful year and please feel free to call me at our toll free number-1-866-953-4483-to discuss any issues in detail. We are always open to comments and opinions that will help us improve service.

gettysburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

We stayed there when it was still the HOliday Inn,and we had to move to teh 3rd floor from teh 5th,,room 545.We heard noises all night as if some one was in our room..Out neighbours were actually quiet but there seemed to be inside noise like it was coming from teh bathroom .1st 2 nights we had no neighbopurs at all and it was so noisey we could hardly sleep,I eben looked outiside to see if anyone was running on the balcony,and apparently only adults were guests at that time ...The bathroom lights would come on when we wrent even in there,,tghe fan shut off when my husband was taking a shower and then the lights went out.....There was nothing advertised about the place being haunted .LOL.,but something was going on....Other than that ,everything was fine,location,service,and beds etc..I would stay there again if I knew it would be quieter at night,the weird thing was,we saw no one who may be the culprit of all this commotion..We went for the history and of course to se whateveryone talks about concerning the supernatural.Lovely hotel..

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us-even with the uninvited visitors you had! Given the history of the town I would understand the extra activity. If you were here when we were still the Holiday Inn we did not offer our Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast! Now we have a wonderful free breakfast that features several hot and cold items. We also have a program for repeat guests called the "Loyalty" Program!! Great discounts! We would love to have you visit with us again. We may not be a Holiday Inn any longer but we are still here and continue to offer a clean comfortable room with a friendly staff to take care of your needs while you are here! We take great pride in our hotel and treat each guest as if they were family!
Please feel free to call our toll free number at 1-866-953-4483 to check on rates and availability.
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. Hope to see you in the future! (and-we won't charge for the invisable visitors in your room!!) Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

Norma Herring/ GM
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

This hotel is in a great location. You can walk to practically everything in town. We stayed overnight to do some ghost tours & this hotel is right next to the Jennie Wade House Museum. Clean room with a nice big bathroom. There was a free breakfast which had the usual bagels, donut, etc. plus french toast, waffles & breakfast sandwiches. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Thank you so much for the great review. We love to hear that we are doing a good job! You can't beat the location here at the 1863 Inn and our Free "Rise and Shine" breakfast is a good way to start your day. Our housekeeping staff does an excellant job. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Next time you visit you might want ask about our "Loyalty" Program. Great savings!! We realize that there are many lodging options in Gettysburg. We do hope that we will see you again on future trips to our beautiful little town. Have a wonderful Holiday Season! Thank you again.

Edwardsville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I recently stayed at the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, and have never felt so violated, or so much anger as I did at this hotel. We, individualy, then collectively got blamed for playing loud music throughout the night, thus creating a disturbance. We were woken from a semi-sound sleep, from a quiet, darkened room to tell us this. We were able to show, and prove that our entire group was gone during the complaints hours. The management of this hotel kept changing the story to fit the information. Their final version changed from an all night disturbance, to our large group returning at night creating the disturbance. Again, we were able to disprove that, as we all came back at different times. There are enough quality hotels in Gettysburg that we will never come back to this one.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
The safety and comfort of our guests is our first concern. We respond to any and all complaints received from all guests. We have explained our actions to you in the emails we have exchanged. The clerk on duty responded in an appropriate manner. We apologize if you do not agree with the actions taken to resolve the noise complaint. We do our best to provide every guest with an enjoyable experience. As you can see by the other reviews we have received, our track record is pretty good! We appreciate your stand on the matter. All actions taken have been reviewed by management and we are satisfied with the decisions that were made under the circumstance. In such a situation, we realized that not everyone involved would be happy with the outcome. We do hope that you will continue to visit Gettysburg. It is a beautiful little town. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

GM
York, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Stayed here for one night. Check in was pleasant, room was comfortable with all the little extras. The only downside was our room was located next to the elevator hallway so it was noisy throughout the night. Continental breakfast had a decent variety of cold and hot items. Free internet in the lobby was appreciated. Overall comfortable feeling to hotel and in the most convenient location to attractions so I could keep my car parked and walk around town.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
normajean16, Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Our first concern is our guests comfort.
We do offer a wide variety of amenities in our rooms. And our Free "Rise and Shine " Breakfast is always a hit!
If you visit often you may want to inquire about our "Loyalty" Program. The savings are very nice for members!

We realize that there are many lodging prospects in Gettysburg. It would be our pleasure to have you visit with us in the future.

Thank you and have a wonderful Holiday season.

GM

Been to 1863 Inn of Gettysburg? Share your experiences!