“The Inn of 1836” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1863 Inn of Gettysburg

Save Saved
You added 1863 Inn of Gettysburg to your Saves list
1863 Inn of Gettysburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   516 Baltimore St., Gettysburg, PA 17325 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Auburn, New York, United States
“The Inn of 1836”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We just returned from our trip to Gettysburg and couldn't be happier with our stay at this hotel. The location was fantastic, everything was within walking distance! The rooms were clean, beds comfortable, well appointed with refridgerators, coffee makers and such. The pool was closed for the season which wasn't a big deal, but I might add they do have a handicap chair for the pool.
The Inn also offers a breakfast room complete with cold cereals, breakfast sandwiches, cheese omelets, waffles, french toast, yogurt, coffee and juices, etc. Certainly a nice little bite before you start your adventurous day!! If given the chance, we would stay here again!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor #533 - faces the main road!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. We certainly appreciate the wonderful review. We are glad that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. Please come back to see us the next time you are in town. Thank you again for the review.

Norma Herring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Macedonia, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Gettysburg is a place full of history and the 1863 Inn is centrally located. The continental breakfast is okay, the staff is friendly, but if you want wifi this is not the place. It works sometimes, but most time it drops off the face of the earth. if your room in the front of the hotel it is very noise. If you want wifi, it is terrible. You won't even see it in the listed available wifi when it disappears frequently. Then if it comes back, you have to sign in with the password again - over and over again. NOT a good hotel to stay in if you need reliable wifi. Otherwise, it is very centrally located.

Room Tip: The rooms in back are hopefully quieter than in front.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit. I do apologize about the spotty internet connection. We offer both free wireless and wired internet service due to the fact that the building is poured concrete and the wireless signal can be a bit of a challenge. The wireless hub is actually in the front of the building, where your room was located. I am a bit surprised that the signal was that much of an issue in that area. The front desk would have been happy to assist you with the connection. I was glad to see that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room. That is such an important part of any hotel stay. Hopefully on your next visit the internet connection will not be an issue. Please don't hesitate to contact the front desk for assistance. There is someone on duty 24/7 and they are always eager to help in any way they can.

Karnes City, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Wow! We couldn't have picked a better place to stay. We were able to walk to many places we toured and it was right in the middle of the historic district. The breakfast was good as well as the rooms being nice.

• Stayed September 2013
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and found everything to be clean and comfortable. We realize that there are many lodging options available and we thank you for choosing the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg. We certainly appreciate the review. Please come back and see us soon.

Linthicum Heights, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Once again, 1863 DID NOT FAIL to disappoint! I was so impressed with our spontaneous stay in April 2013, there was never a question where we wanted to stay September 3rd-5th! I booked late on September 2nd, and it still wasn't an issue. I leveraged their on-line code savings. I felt more comfortable contacting the hotel directly after contacting 3rd party hotel sites. Those sites have a purpose I'm sure, but I found them impersonal and lacked knowledge of the hotel. It wasn't enough of a "personal touch" for me. I still saved money. (more about that later.) What was even more impressive was that I was able to check in early the 3rd. I certainly didn't expect to, but it so happened our room was ready. BONUS!

Michaela, was warm and welcoming upon our reception. There initially appeared to be a question as to what floor I specified, because I did. 5th floor street side. Michaela, barely flinched, and made it happen. I had also asked if the pool was still open and she said yes even though they were probably going to close it soon. EXTRA BONUS! I also told her we were back because we had such a great stay the last time. She suggested I take advantage of the Loyalty Program, explained the benefits, and applied the savings immediately. WOW! that's customer service!

Our room was spotless, pristine and accommodating. Comfy beds, blankets and plenty of pillows. The refrigerator was a great and kept our leftovers cold. We loved indulging in our leftovers! The view was yet another great vista of Gettysburg. In April we were in the last room next to the Jenny Wade Museum. Our room, this time, was the last on the other side. I was so fine with that! I love the 5th floor because of the view, enjoy the street side activity and noise. We were so tired from our travels, we barely noticed the noise and I actually think it's part of the charm. If you enjoy or embrace the paranormal you, may also like this floor to hopefully come across a charming, harmless, yet mischievous spirit named "George."

We close the bathroom door solid before we go to sleep. My daughter's Ipod is on the table centered between our beds. She wakes me up at 3:20 a.m. to ask me why I'm messing with her Ipod. I said to her sleepily, " uhhh, what are you talking about?" The Ipod is scanning through her music and the volume indicator is going up and down. (the ear phones are still attached, but you can hear music.) The bathroom door is opened 1/2 way. Straaaannnngge! I just said, "must be George just messing." Go to sleep."

The pool was refreshing, pristine, and a welcome respite. Especially so, after a long day of touring. There was a nice young man who was constantly cleaning it and the grounds surrounding it. There was another nice young man who was literally sweeping the cobwebs, etc. from the underside of the awnings on each floor. As an early riser, I had the privilege of greeting and being greeted by housekeepers and maintenance workers as they were arriving for their day in the elevator or in the midst of their duties as I walked by. Very, very nice attentive people. As a guest, they acknowledged me with a smile. It truly speaks volumes of their caliber. It started my day on a positive note as I traveled peacefully on my "early, early" walks throughout the town and the cemetery while planning the rest of our day.

Once again, we couldn't get enough of GBG and just had to stay another day. We were dining in downtown GBG and decided to do, again, just one more day. We returned to 1863 late and were graciously addressed by Alicia at the counter. I had told my daughter, that they may not be able to because it's last minute, or we may have to switch rooms. Alicia was the best! She enthusiastically, seamlessly, flawlessly after a few key strokes on the computer, took care of us and thanked us sincerely for spending an extra day! She made us feel special. Checkout was flawless and full of gratitude by her as well. THANK YOU!

It was really nice to "come home" to a nice hot cup of coffee in the lobby. I later re-heated a leftover cup of soup from a local restaurant that I brought back for my daughter in the lobby microwave. Nobody gave me a hard time about using it. It made my daughter's night and soothed her. She was not feeling well on our last day of departure.

P.S. a previous poster had written how "obnoxious" the signs were regarding hotel rules, safety, or direction, as if being treated like a child. I say, so not true! They are there for safety, guidance, convenience and assurance of personal enjoyment for all. I found them informative, helpful, non-offensive, and re-assurance that the hotel was dedicated to insuring my best interests and those of other guests. I thought it was a diplomatic way of stating a "no tolerance policy," to those customers, who would otherwise engage in "irresponsible, delinquent" behaviors that would negatively impact the enjoyment others.

Thank you 1863 for treating me and my daughter so well. We look forward to seeing you again!

Fondest regards,

KKane

Room Tip: Love the 5th floor! people watching & socail activity, vista and views! Great for "shutter...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We are so glad that you came back to visit with us once again! Thank you very much for taking the time to compliment the hotel and the staff. We work very hard to make sure that each guest has an enjoyable and comfortable stay. It is always nice to know that someone noticed that hard work. We are very fortunate here. The staff really does care about our visitors. They enjoy their jobs and it shows. Thank you for the comments about the signage that you find through out the hotel. You are correct-the signs are informative and are there to direct folks. They are in no way offensive. We hope that you will continue to make the 1863 Inn your Gettysburg Address! We appreciate your loyalty. Hope to see you soon!!

Sincerely and with great appreciation,

Schererville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was the first spot on our eight day historical tour and were satisfied with the hotel. The rooom was clean, the beds and pillows comfortable, and the bathroom was large with plenty of counter space. Television and internet worked just fine. Breakfast was very tasty with all the usual selections with the addition of a breakfast sandwich of egg and sausage or egg and ham -- appreciated this additional choice. The coffee was well made. The hotel is located in the historic district, so it is in walking distance to the roundabout and most of the restaurants and bars that Gettysburg has to offer. There is a tour bus facility right next door. A tour of the battlefield is highly recommended. There is a large pool that looked clean, but didn't really have any time to use it. Staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is not really fancy, but it is affordable and comfortable, so highly recommended as the place to "rest your head" while in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: All rooms face an outdoor walkway. Didn't notice that this caused any additional noise, but we...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your visit. We are glad that you found everything to be clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. We hope that you will come back to see us the next time you are in Gettysburg. We certainly appreciate the wonderful review. Thank you.

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed over for two nights and we were very happy with our stay. We were in a front facing room and our friends were next to us. The weather was beautiful so we spent quite a bit of time on the balcony. Wish they had a couple of chairs out there for each room! People are great at the front desk and did call and leave message to find out how our stay was. The room & bathroom were spotless. Of course I did the usual bed-bug check before we got settled in and happy to say there were none!!
We couldn't connect to the Wi-Fi so not sure if all the rooms get it. We were busy out and about so that was ok.
The breakfast sandwiches need to be nuked and that didn't seem to work out very well. Also it was busy in the breakfast room and they only have two microwaves. They do have other items to choose from though. They put in a new subway across the way and I believe they have breakfast sandwiches now. Also a convenience store across the street. So many choices for something to grab to eat.
We used our loyalty card and it was a good price at this time of year which tends to be a little pricey. We are planning on coming back for New Years Eve and we will book this hotel for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for telling about your recent visit. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our rooms are very clean and comfortable. The housekeeping staff does an excellent job. The front desk is very friendly and helpful. I am sorry that the breakfast room was a bit crowded. There is a very pleasant area right outside of the breakfast room with extra seating and an additional microwave. There is also an extra microwave in the free coffee area in the lobby. We do provide wireless internet service to all of our rooms. It does tend to be spotty at times due to the fact that the building is solid concrete and it can cause issues with the signal every now and then, therefore we also offer wired service and will provide an Ethernet cable if our guests need one. Please don't hesitate to ask the front desk if you need help with anything during future stays. We are glad that you joined our "Loyalty" Program. It does provide our members with a great saving year round. No black out dates! If we have a room you get the discount. That 30% off really does help! Please come back to see us soon. We appreciate your loyalty to the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg! Thank you again for the wonderful review!

MOUNTAIN TOP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We loved this hotel, downtown close to all the beautiful shops and the battlefield. The tour bus was right next door for the battlefield. The only drawback of this hotel was setting up with the Freedom Bus to get us to the Wine Festival. Way too long wait going and coming back. I can not recommend this Freedom Bus and the bus driver lied to all of us waiting.

Room Tip: Try and the rooms toward the street if you want to see the complete downtown..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We do apologize for the bus service. The hotel is not affiliated with that service. We do call for our guests to get information on times and pick up stops but we have no control over the quality of service they provide. We are sorry that you had issues with that service. It certainly is a nice idea but appears to need improvements. We hope that you will come back to see us for future stays while in Gettysburg. Thank you again for the review.

Norma Herring

Been to 1863 Inn of Gettysburg? Share your experiences!