“Average budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 1863 Inn of Gettysburg

You added 1863 Inn of Gettysburg to your Saves list
1863 Inn of Gettysburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   516 Baltimore St., Gettysburg, PA 17325 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Average budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed for two nights. On the positive side: very convenient location to walk downtown; large room; clean rooms; and comfortable.

On the other hand: Staff was not at all welcoming. Checking in felt like nothing more than a transaction. Checking out was even colder - no "thank you for staying" or "how was your stay". I almost felt like I was bothering them!

The exterior common areas could use some cleaning, especially the corridors where you catch the elevator.

I have to laugh about the other posting about all of the rules. I started counting how many signs there are telling you very bluntly what not to do (the elevator had 4 or 5 signs alone!) It almost makes you feel like you are not welcome. The worst are all of the signs in the breakfast room that more or less threaten you should you walk out of the room with any food. Other reviewers complain about the breakfast, but I found it good enough - plenty to choose from.

It is a budget hotel. If I returned to the area and wanted a budget hotel, I would probably look to other choices instead - someplace that feels more welcoming. I just can't recommend it here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I do apologize if you experienced any problems during that stay. I have checked our records and found that the front desk did give you a "Courtesy Call' after you checked in. We do that for every guest that stays with us. It lets you know that there is someone on duty 24/7 in case you have an concerns. I also checked our Front Desk log books and no mention of any issues was brought to the front desk's attention during your visit. To address the signs thru out the hotel- we are a nonsmoking property .We have designated smoking areas for our guests that do smoke. We post the signs to direct them to that area for the comfort of our nonsmoking visitors. The signs in the elevator are there for safety reasons.The sign in the breakfast area is not at all threatening. These signs are necessary and most folks understand that. I do apologize if you found them to be offensive in any way. We have a wonderful staff here. As you can see by the other reviews that our visitors post-we have a pretty good track record when it comes to taking care of our guests. Our staff cares about every guest. It would be helpful if you would contact me so I could gather some information about the events that took place during your check in and check out process that would have left you with the impression that you were not treated in a friendly manner. I sincerely apologize if that was the case. I am glad to see that you found the room to be clean and comfortable. Again, I thank you for taking the time to post the review. This information is very useful in improving our service. Please feel free to use our toll free number to reach me. 1-866-953-4483.

Norma Herring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Marshall, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for three (3) days during our August vacation-wished it had been longer, but they were booked up for the week-end. We initially decided to stay here because they were offering an August Internet deal, and the photos looked nice. We booked it on-line after calling the desk, and their staff walked us through how to book it via their website to take advantage of the special!

We opted for the more expensive pet free room, which overlooked the Jennie wade House. It was HUGE. The king bed was comfortable, and the room was equipped with a sitting area, a small microwave and fridge, and a desk area with Wi Fi. The bathroom was bigger than many bedrooms, and came equipped with a stand alone shower AND a Jacuzzi tub.

Their hot breakfast offered a large assortment of items; frozen breakfast sandwiches, fresh fruit, hardboiled eggs and yogurt, biscuits and sausage gravy, and numerous bread and cereal options.

The pool was refreshing, but was observed to be rarely used. Their management was very accommodating and helpful. They willingly provided directions to the sites, as well as sharing ghostly stories and photos.

we will most definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Book it on-line to $ave money. If you get the frozen breakfast sandwich, take it out of the wrapper...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you so much for letting us know that you enjoyed your visit with us. The room you were in is very comfortable and, as you said, very large! The bathroom is as big as most hotel rooms! We have 2 of those rooms and they are a big hit! We hope that you will come back to see us. Thanks again for the great review! We certainly appreciate it!

Sarasota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The rooms were nice, I loved the interior colors chosing for the walls.The bathrooms were clean and I loved that they provided a mat for the bathroom, the location was great for hitting gift shops!
The only thing that I wasn't fond of was the breakfast, it didn't really have anything I eat, but I'm not a breakfast person anyways, I just grabbed a snack at the gas station, so don't let my opinion of the breakfast turn you away, because the hotel was comfy.I can't comment on whether the staff or manager was rude because I didn't interact with them, we were only here for one night because we extended our vacation.I say give the Inn of 1863 a chance, especially if you want to be near the gift shops and ghost tours! I didn't see any of the rules that my sister said there was, but I didn't get breakfast, I only went down to see what they offered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your room and found it to be comfortable and clean. The comments your sister made in the previous review were very puzzling. As you can see from many of the other reviews, our lobby is very warm and cozy. The hotel as a whole is very inviting. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our breakfast offers a wide selection of both hot and cold items. The breakfast attendants do an excellent job of keeping things stocked and making sure that tables are cleaned in a timely manner. The breakfast room gets very busy and the attendants are always there to help you. As for the signs-they are directional signs-not meant to cause any kind of uneasiness. They provide our guests with vital information-necessary information regarding the hotel. We are glad that you did not find them offensive. We strive to make every guest feel at home and provide them with a pleasant experience. We appreciate your comments and hope that you will visit with us in the future. Please feel free to contact me at -1-866-953-4483 if you have any other concerns. Have a wonderful summer.

Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We extended our vacation by a day but General Lees didn't have enough rooms available so we decided to stay at the 1863 Inn because it looks so lovely. The rooms were nice, nothing over the top. What I expected for what we paid. The lobby was decorated like grandma's house. The entire hotel gave that cold unwelcoming feeling with notes posted everywhere of what to do and not to do. Kind of like a kindergarten room, every time I turned around there was a nothing rule posted. When we got back from dinner there were a group of people that were sitting outside their room, which is not a problem until I had to walk through puddles of beer that they had spelled. Being able to walk to some of the shops was really nice but seeing how you on right on the main road you hear traffic and noise all night. Some of the candle light tours stop in front of this hotel and they all stand and stare up at your rooms and snap pictures. This was a little uncomfortable for me but didn't seem to bother anyone else. Breakfast was not good. Everything was frozen and cold with a lot of rules posted on how to prepare them. They stand there and watch what you are getting. I felt like I had to sneak orange juice into a coffee cup because I wanted a lid but was afraid I would get in trouble for not using the right cup. Overall, this wasn't the place for me but would be a great place for someone that likes the hustle and bustle of downtown and loves rules.

Room Tip: To avoid noise and pictures being taken while in your room, request one on the back side of the hote...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are sorry that you did not find everything to your liking. No issues or problems were reported to the front desk during your visit with us. We would have been happy to address any concerns you may have had. We want every guest to be comfortable and enjoy the hotel. We certainly would have appreciated the opportunity to try to make your visit more enjoyable by being informed of your displeasure while you were still at the hotel. Please feel free to contact me at 1-866-953-4483. I will be glad to speak to you regarding any problems you may have encountered.

Henryville, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just spent the weekend at the 1863. The hotel is in a great location with many attractions, shops and restaurants in walking distance. The room was spacious at a good price and very clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was good with good coffee! It has a nice pool. The hotel is next to a Gettysburg bus tour and near the Dobbin House restaurant and many others. You won't be disappointed. If I go back to the area I will stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and plan on coming back to see us again! The next time you visit please ask about our "Loyalty" Program for repeat guests. It provides great savings if you plan on visiting often. Thank you again for the kind words! We certainly appreciate the review and knowing that we have another happy guest! See you next time!

Palmyra, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My son and I stayed one night at the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg. We had a wonderful time!

-Location: Excellent. Right in the center of town, next to a bus touring company and 2 minutes from the Gettysburg National Park.

-Cleanliness: What can I say? Spotless!

-Pool: Clean, relatively large, and refreshing after a long day touring the battlefield. My son can't wait to go back here!

-Staff: Friendly and helpful at all times, particularly Maria who stocks the breakfast area.

-Room: Clean, comfortable and totally quiet. Just ask for a quiet area of the hotel. We were in the back but rooms facing the road may be noisier.

NOTE: The 1863 Inn does not have a restaurant. However, they do a great job with the complimentary breakfast despite this (coffee, tea, juices, cereals, hot egg sandwiches, pastries, waffles, french toast, fruit). Keep in mind that several diners and restaurants are within 1-2 blocks of this hotel so that not having a restaurant is far from inconvenient. It just gives you an excuse to stroll the town.

The 1863 Inn of Gettysburg is a great choice for a stay in Gettysburg!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet area of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. We are very passionate when it comes to making sure that our guests are well taken care of. The staff does an excellent job. We realize that there are many lodging options in Gettysburg. We are glad that you made the 1863 Inn your "Gettysburg Address". Please come back to visit us. And thank you again for the wonderful review. We certainly appreciate it! It is always nice to hear that we have another happy customer!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Spent the weekend here with my family and it's a beautiful hotel. Friendly staff and service. Clean rooms, good breakfast. Breakfast area has plenty of sitting space. Would stay here again. This hotel is amazing a night all lit up. Beautiful!

Room Tip: If you like the paranormal thing....ask for the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay. We are glad that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the room clean and comfortable. We hope that you will come back to visit us if you are ever back this way. There is so much to see and do in Gettysburg. It truly is a beautiful little town. Thank you again for the great review. We certainly appreciate it!