“Convenient Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1863 Inn of Gettysburg

You added 1863 Inn of Gettysburg to your Saves list
1863 Inn of Gettysburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   516 Baltimore St., Gettysburg, PA 17325 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Special Rate
Winter Special
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
London, Kentucky
“Convenient Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg. The location is perfect, walking distance to town square in one direction and the National and Evergreen Cemeteries in the other direction. The room was clean. The bathroom area was large. The beds were comfortable. I loved being located next door to the Jennie Wade House, so much history in this area. The complimentary breakfast each day was a definite bonus. We would eat breakfast and not require anything else till dinner in the evenings. I would stay in the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us at the 1863 Inn. Thank you for letting us know about your visit. Our goal is to provide each guest with a clean, comfortable room at a reasonable rate. We want everyone to have an enjoyable experience. We hope that you will join us again. It would be our pleasure! Have a wonderful Summer. We look forward to your next visit.

Norma Herring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Vineland, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

It is in the BEST location in Gettysburg. The rooms are clean, lobby is nice. The breakfast was so good with so many choices, healthy choices as well. The front desk staff were helpful and respectful. Hotel staff were very nice.

Room Tip: swimming pool was clean and smoking is away from rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are glad that you enjoyed your visit. Our rooms are clean, comfortable and well appointed. The staff is always ready to help you with whatever you may need. Our Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast is always a good way to start your day. We would love to have you stop to see us again if you are ever back this way. It would be our pleasure. Have a great Summer and again, we appreciate the kind words!

Williston, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The location is central and within easy walking distance to everything. The room was clean and large, the bathroom was good sized and the shower was really nice (sometimes the pressure or shower head is really bad, but this one was great). The staff was very helpful and friendly. There was plenty of parking which looked like an issue at other places. We very much enjoyed Gettysburg and were very happy with the hotel. The only thing I could say could be better was the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit. We are glad that you enjoyed it. The rooms are clean, comfortable and packed with amenities. And you can't beat the location of the hotel-just park the car and walk to mostly everything. We hope that you will come back to see us if you are back this way. Thank you again for the review! Have a great Summer.

Abington, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 1863 Inn Of Gettysburg is very clean. The staff was friendly. The pool was sparkling. Its location relative to the city of Gettysburg is reasonable. It is not in the heart of town, but my girlfriend and I were able to walk everywhere within town limits from the hotel. It's only a 10-15 stroll to the town square. And that stroll was straight down a lovely tree-lined street with mostly red-brick houses along the way.
The hotel isn't anything spectacular, but it's very nice and comfortable. The bed was a wee bit too soft. But that's not a deficiency in the hotel, just my preference for a firmer bed.
My only real complaint is about the complementary breakfast. It was seriously unimpressive. There was a wide variety of cereals and breads, but the hot food was limited to microwavable sandwiches and pre-made, frozen omelets. There were 3 tiny microwave ovens available. But they took forever to heat a sandwich. I was so disappointed that on the 2nd morning I went out & found a diner, despite the fact that I could have eaten for free at the hotel.
Like I said, the accommodations were more than adequate. But don't let the "free breakfast" be a factor in deciding to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your visit. I was glad to see that you found the pool and your room to be clean. I think that a clean room and a friendly staff is most important when choosing a hotel. I was sorry to see that you were not happy with the Free breakfast. We offer a large variety of items. There is something for everyone. We feel that what we have to offer is very acceptable. I have been to several franchise hotels that do not offer half of the breakfast items that we provide for our guests. For those that want a more extensive menu there are several full service restaurants within walking distance. I do hope that you will visit us if you are back this way. Again, thank you for the review.

Lawrenceburg, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had a great experience at the 1863. We only needed to drive when touring the battlefield on our own and driving to the National Park. I even think there was a free trolley service for that if we had taken advantage of it.
There is a 'yard' of memorials right by the hotel.
Room was large and breakfat selection varied. The food was spread out and I should surveyed it all before making a selection.
Great location and lots of shops and restaurants very near. We even walked down to the Circle in town several evenings. Lots of stuff going on there too but overall preferred the location of 1863. Would certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is so nice to know that we have a satisfied customer! Our Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast does have a wide variety of goodies! There are so many tasty items to choose from! It's a great way to start your day. Our rooms are clean and comfortable and the price is very reasonable. We are very proud of this hotel. The staff works very hard to make sure that each guest has an enjoyable stay. We hope that you will stop to see us again. Have a wonderful Summer! Thank you again for the wonderful review!

Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were in the annex building, pool level. Could not open the drapes because everyone would see you. The room had a bit of a smell, but basically was clean, bed was too soft, comforter very cheap silk quilt type. Enjoyed a hour at the pool, which was clean, however, went for a walk and came back to find 7 men aged 45-65 in the pool, smoking cigars, using foul language, spitting in the pool, bragging that they "peed" in the pool and obviously drunk and still pouring drinks from thermoses. At this time there were just some older people at the pool. I put up with this for about one half hour and went to the young man that was sitting at a table "pool attendant" and told him. He stated "Smoking is not permitted, are they smoking" The entire block smelled foul from cigar. I went to room and complained to desk. Girl told me that "no manager on duty" yet I got a welcome creating on my phone telling me that "managers on duty 24/7" please call anytime. The desk girl stated that was her brother "the pool attendant" and she would go talk to him and the rude men. None the less, this really ruined my day. In addition, the rude men saw me talking to the pool attendant and started saying rude things over the fence to me. None of this would of happened if the "pool attendant" would of done their job from the beginning and told the idiots to leave. What men go to a pool in "Gettysburg" and act like they are in Vegas?????? All in all I was very disappointed in the staff. Also, the walls were very thin, could here people above my floor running around all night long, doors slamming, etc. Won't ever be back and will not recommend. Sorry, thumbs down for this place. BTW, breakfast is gross too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely apologize for any issues you may have had during your visit with us. There is a Manager on Duty 24/7 at the Front desk. I am a bit confused as to why the Desk Clerk would have told you that there was no manager on at that time. The Front Desk is very capable of addressing any issues that a guest may have. I have spoken to the clerk that was on duty and she advised me that she did go speak to the men at the pool and warned them that she would have them removed if she recieved any further complaints. We want all of our guests to enjoy their visit. As for the drapes in the room-there are black out panels in each room. They are there to provide privacy. Each room has them. The room you occupied had them as well. I am also surprised by the comment about the bedspread. They were just purchased this past Spring and are very high end and quite expensive. Everyone seems to love them! Again I apologize for the problems you may have had. I hope you will reconsider and visit us in the future. As you can see by the other reviews that are posted-we do our best to provide wonderful customer service.

kingston, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spent three nights here and we were very satisfied. The property isn't new but seems to be well maintained. Our room was large and very clean. The room rate was reasonable and the complimentary breakfast was more than adequate. My husband had sausage gravy with biscuits all three mornings! The hotel is walking distance to restaurants and gift shops and there is a mini mart across the street. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for telling us about your visit. We are glad that you enjoyed it. Our staff does a wonderful job. Our rooms are well appointed, clean and comfortable. The Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast has a very nice variety of items. You certainly cannot beat the location of the hotel. Everything within walking distance. We hope that you will stop to see us on your next trip to Gettysburg. It would be our pleasure! Thank you again for the review.

Norma Herring

Been to 1863 Inn of Gettysburg? Share your experiences!