“Ideal location...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 1863 Inn of Gettysburg

Save Saved
You added 1863 Inn of Gettysburg to your Saves list
1863 Inn of Gettysburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   516 Baltimore St., Gettysburg, PA 17325 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
England
“Ideal location...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We primarily selected this hotel because of it's proximity to both the Gettysburg Battlefield and the town itself and were not disappointed. Given the downtown location the large car park was welcome.
The hotel itself is a little tired and in need of some upgrading. However, the front desk service was friendly, helpful and efficient, and our room was comfortable and clean.
The self-service breakfast room was a little over-crowded at the peak time, although we managed to find an adjacent overspill area. The breakfast fare was fairly basic but perfectly adequate, and in keeping with what we found at several other motels during this US trip.
Considering everything, I feel the price was a little on the high side; however, the town seemed very busy and I suspect this was a peak time for tourism.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your visit with us. We were happy to see that your room was clean and you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I will pass your comments along to our Housekeeping and Front Desk staff. Our rates are higher during our peak season. The rates normally drop around the middle of November thru March except for any special event week ends. Our Maintenance Crew does a wonderful job when it comes to the appearance of the building and the grounds. It is very difficult to do major renovations during our busy time. Those projects are usually done in the off season. Every Winter we deep clean each room as well as the public areas. Gettysburg slows down in the Winter but we are kept very busy sprucing things up for the upcoming busy season! The end result is well worth it-fresh and shiny for our visitors the next year. Thank you again for the review. I hope you will be able to visit with us in the future.

Norma Herring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

As always staying in the 1863 inn was a pleasure. The staff is friendly and couteous,the room was very clean and you can't beat the location in town able to walk to all the shops in the square and surrounding. Another pleasant expierance at the 1863 inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We certainly appreciate it. We are glad that you enjoy your visits with us. Our goal is to provide a clean, comfortable room at a resonable rate. Our location is great and the staff is wonderful. They are always there to help make your stay an enjoyable one. We hope that you will come back to see us again. It would be our pleasure. Have a wonderful Holiday Season. Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Adrian, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is the first time that we have stayed in town when we have come to Gettysburg. We were thinking that becuase of it being the off-season for them that it would be a diffrent experence. Such as lack of making sure everything is top knoch Boy were we wrong! First it is in a great location for walking to almost ALL of of the shopping. The rooms were very clean! I am very picky with this issue. To the point that I will actually take all the covers off the beds and look for what I call "Ickys" I totally am grossed out by others hairs ect. NOTHING! not one! We were blown away. You could tell the linens were fresh as they had creases in the sheets still. Staff was very frendly and opening. Breakfast was delish, so many things to choose from. I could keep going on and on how good this hotel is. We will def be using that membership in the future. No more staying out of town for us.

Room Tip: It depends on how much noise bugs you. The street is a little noisy, but dies down. Its more the oth...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit! We are glad that you enjoyed it! Our housekeeping staff does a wonderful job. They take pride in this hotel and it shows. I will make sure that they know how pleased you were with the cleanliness of the room. Our Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast offers a great variety. There is something for everyone. I am glad that you joined our Loyalty Program! It provides our repeat guests with a huge savings and there are no black out dates! Thank you again for the wonderful review! It is nice to know that we have a happy customer that wants to keep coming back to visit us! Hope to see you soon!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Inn the weekend of Oct 19 thru the 21st. It was our second time at this hotel.
The first time that we stayed there, we went on a ghost tour, which stopped in front of the hotel. The guide told us about George and that he messes up the bed sheets after the maid makes the beds, and that he turns lights off and on. No big deal.We had no experience with him during our stay that time.
This recent trip was different. We stayed in room 410 facing the street. A bit noisy, but we liked the balcony. At 3:30 am, I woke up to hear an ambulance going down the street with its siren screaming. I thought it sounded loud, I turned over in bed and the hotel room door was open, about two feet.
I woke up my husband, saying" Why is our door open?" He jumped up and shut it, saying"never in my life have I seen anything like this!"
We are 100% positive that the door was locked and that the latch was closed when we fell asleep. Also, because the night was a bit cold, I shut the AC off completely. In the morning, the AC was on and was set at 68 degrees. I don't think we were sleep walking, I really think it was George doing this.
I asked one of the girls who works at the front desk abotu this, she said that is the things that George does, and that it didn't surprise her.
Forget the Farnsworth House, its too pricey, you can get the same spirited adventures at the 1863 Inn!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. I do hope that you enjoyed your time with us and that any "extra" activity was not a problem. As I stated before, I have not had any of these experiences during my 33 years here. But with all the history surrounding Gettysburg your imagination is free to run wild. I cannot confirm or deny any occurrences. We are glad to hear that your room was clean and comfortable. The staff always loves to hear that our guests are pleased with our hotel! Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I do hope you will visit with us again. Maybe the next time it will be less eventful! :):) Have a great Holiday Season.

Prospect, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed Oct. 19 & 20. This was our second time at the Inn, once 5 yrs. ago when it was a Holiday Inn. The staff is excellent, the location Great, comp. breakfast better then most. But the room was, let's say special. We stayed in room 539. It wasn't until the second evening I was informed that the Inn had a few spirited guest. My sister and brother in law were with us staying on the same 5th floor but at the other end. My sister struck up a conversation with the clerk at the front desk who was telling her of the spirited guests they had there. One by the name of George, who liked to hang around on the 5th floor. My son and wife returned shortly there after from a ghost walk, and were telling us that the guide, who took them by the Inn, told them that this Inn had some of the most active spirited guest. I just took it all in stride, smiling, due to being sceptical of all these "ghostly" encounters. Let's just say I'm a bit less sceptical after last night. My son and I fell asleep before my wife. Prior to going to sleep I set my phone alarm to go off at 7:00 a.m. and set it on the bed stand. My alarm went off, and due to it's loud setting I grabbed it quick and hit the snooze and dozed back to sleep.thinking my wife's phone alarm was soon to go off. After probably a minute or two, I don't really know, I groggily woke and thought I'd just better turn mine off, that I would hear her's. So I turned the alarm off the phone and laid it back on the night stand and then looked at my watch and it was 2:30 a.m. Didn't think much of it, other then it seemed odd, and went back to sleep. At approx. 4:30 a.m. I woke again to the sound of the AC kicking on then back off then a few minutes later back on, as though it was attempting to cool the room. I laid there awake, I guess my turning over awoke my wife, she not knowing I was awake look at here phone clock and I asked here if she was OK, she said yes that she had to go to the bathroom. She got up and walked to the bathroom with the light off and the door open she went to sit down and shrieked. I asked what the problem was and she said someone left the seat up. That's possible with 2 males in the room, but when she was the last one to use it after my son and I had both gone to sleep. Well...make of it what you want. When she crawled back into bed, I told her I think George is playing with us tonight. She said tell me about it in the morning. I laid there smiling, because I was told he was a playful kind of "spirit" and only had fun with people who weren't scared. I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, but the AC kept kicking on and off every few minutes and then I noticed the room was getting cold. I rolled back over got my glasses and looked at the digital temp. on the unit. It read what appeared to be 68 which I had set it on earlier when the room was stuffy. I got up to turn the temp up and the digital setting was 63. Which while laying in bed made it appear to be 68. this is when I really started smiling starting to believe maybe there is something to this guy George. By this time I wasn't going back to sleep so I put on some pants and decided to go outside and see if any of the other claimed sightings were going on. i.e. children running/playing down the outdoor walkway on the 5th floor. or civil war soldiers reenacting a battle going on in a fenced field behind the Inn parking lot. An area where no one should be. I stood on the balcony for awhile but nothing and went down to get some coffee in the lobby until the others woke up. When I went back up, after they had awoke my wife said she wanted to hear about this George stuff. But first she asked me why I had left a pair of my underwear under the sheets at the foot of the bed. Which I informed her I didn't take off any underwear while in bed, I'd believe I'd know if I did. Now I'm really starting to believe there might be something to the George stuff and I was finding it amusing. I told her of the other happenings along with what she had experienced with the toilet seat. We then went off to breakfast. Upon returning to the room to use the restroom and get our bags, my wife and son went first when they were ready they grabbed some bags to take to the car and I went in to use the restroom. While sitting there doing my business I felt, what seemed to be, a cool soft breeze on the back of my calf. It lasted only 2-3 seconds but was noticeable, not thinking I bent to my left and looked at the wall and under the sink for an air vent think it might have kicked on, nothing, so I looked to my right, beside the wall and toilet, nothing, then it dawned on me that there were no vents the AC/heater was at the front door. When I got down to the parking lot I was telling my sister and son about what had just happened and my sister told me in an excited voice, that was one of the things that these ghost/spirits do. I said well it looks like George had fun entertaining me/us last night. Take all this for what it's worth or what you believe but I enjoyed the events and am leaning towards believing there just might be some truth about this fun loving George. I can't find a reasonable explanation for all that happened. If ever we go back to Gettysburg I will most definitely stay at the Inn again. Not because of a chance run in with George again because It's a nice family owned Inn now, with a great location and great staff.

Room Tip: Ask for the 5th floor for a chance to meet George. Just don't be scared and enjoy the encounter...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your interesting visit! I am glad to hear that your room was clean and you found the staff to be helpful and friendly. That is what we strive for. I hope your "unexpected" visitor wasn't too much of a problem. I have been at this hotel for 33 years and I must say that I personally have not experienced any such activity. I cannot deny or confirm it. I only hope that you enjoyed your time with us. Gettysburg is a beautiful town and with so much history here one's imagination is free to run wild. As long as you enjoyed your visit that is all that matters! Please come back to see us if you are back this way. It would be our pleasure! Thank you again for the review!

Mays Landing, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Our family came up for the weekend of the National Applefestival. Once again, the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg was amazing!! The continental breakfast was hot, fresh, and delicious. The view of the town from the top floor is breath taking. Nothing beats the location! You are walking distance from all the local attractions and restaurants, just walk out the front door and you got so much to do!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! We love hearing that we have a happy customer! Our goal is to provide each guest with a clean, comfortable room at a reasonable rate. Our staff will be very happy to hear how pleased you were. We hope that you will continue to visit with us. Next year will be very exciting! Hopefully you will be able to join us for some of the events! Thank you again for the wonderful comments. Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

With much thanks,

PY,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were in Gettysburg for the Columbus Day weekend and stayed at the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg. We reserved 3 rooms....we all agreed that the rooms were clean, nicely decorated and had plenty of space. The bathrooms were very clean and well stocked. The Front Desk staff (Sam) was friendly and helpful. The free breakfast had a nice variety of breakfast foods...something for everyone, even the picky ones!!!
The location can not be beat! We were right in the middle of it all. The A/C worked great, very quiet. The house keeping gets 2 thumbs up for all their hard work. I will stay here again.... and I will gladly recommend this hotel to my friends and family. Finally, the view of Gettysburg from the 4th and 5th floors is beautiful. =]

Room Tip: Great location...park the car and walk every where.... Try the trolley its very handy and fun!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your visit! Our goal is to provide each guest with a clean, comfortable room at a resonable rate. The staff here is great! They are always eagar to help plan your visit. I will make sure that the Housekeeping staff knows how pleased you were with the cleanliness of the room. They work very hard and they appreciate the kind words. We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for choosing the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg! And thank you again for the wonderful review!

Norma Herring

Been to 1863 Inn of Gettysburg? Share your experiences!