“Outstanding B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Doubleday Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Doubleday Inn
Save Saved
You added The Doubleday Inn to your Saves list
104 Doubleday Ave. (Oak Ridge), Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #15 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Doubleday Inn is the best stay in Gettysburg. We've been there for three visits now, and always find it impressive. Right on the battlefield but away from the noise and tourists traps of the village, its an ideal base to spend a few days learning about this essential part of American history.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Shelburne, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We enjoyed a great return trip to the Doubleday. Breakfast was excellent each day and the cookies are a nice treat after a day of exploring the battlefield. Christine, Todd, and Molly are exceptional hosts.

The Doubleday's location on the site of some of the first day's battle provides a great opportunity to study the field and consider the tactics utilized in this area. The Doubleday Inn remains our top choice for a Gettysburg stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Doubleday sits right on the spot of the fighting from the late afternoon of the first day of fighting in the battle, and it's a thrill to just walk out the front door and wander among the monuments to 16th Maine and other brave troops. In fact, we wandered out at night and just stood in the field known as Iverson's Pits, waiting to see if we could hear the spirits that are reputed to dwell there. (We couldn't.)

Christine and Todd, the B&B's owners, are extremely knowledgeable and can point you to the best tours and the best restaurants. They're not the types who want to talk about your life over breakfast and become best friends; they just want to make your experience better, and that's cool with me.

The inn reputedly is haunted, and they're not shy about that. My mother even said she smelled a really strange smell the second night we stayed there. The inn is no more than a 10-minute drive from anything in Gettysburg, and it's an experience you'll remember. The one thing to be sure to do is get up early and walk or jog the area in the early morning before all the tourists show up. It's great.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sallie the War Dog Room. It was cute but pretty small, and the private bathroom was...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Morton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

So many positive things have been said about the Doubleday Inn that there really isn't much new to add, except to say that they were absolutely correct. We prefer staying in B&B's, and have had wonderful experiences in all of them, from Hawaii to Gettysburg. This was top notch in our book. Todd and Christine are terrific hosts, very helpful with advice and they run a beautiful place in a peaceful, historic location. And Molly, the canine Diva, was quite graceful with all of the guests and very open to any back scratching offered. The breakfasts were to die for - the breakfast casseroles and caramel French toast were unbelievable. In the evenings, cookies and hot water with a wide selection of teas and coffee were available, if you had any room left after dining out.

The location is not within walking distance of town unless you walk a lot, but this was not a problem. Parking wasn't difficult anywhere in the area, but that will change when the festivals are in full swing, I suppose. We liked being slightly outside of town, but able to get to any attraction quickly and easily. The added bonus of watching hummingbirds, chipmunks, rabbits and even foxes on the grounds was fun.

One of the highlights for us was discussing the battle with Todd and Christine. They have a great wealth of knowledge about the strategies used by both sides and why they were used. Their insights of the officers personalities, relationships and what the troops were experiencing were very thought provoking and really brought the humanity of the battle alive. They truly love sharing their knowledge - what a treat!

My only disappointment (but not my wife's) - no ghostly appearances. But then again, none were promised.

Treat yourselves and stay at the Doubleday Inn.

Room Tip: We had the Colonel Devin room on the 2nd floor, which had a beautiful view of the day one battlefiel...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edison, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

BB right on the battlefield! Wonderful friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast was amazing. BB was very nice and clean. First time staying in a bb and I was impressed. Very relaxing and comfortable. Christine and Todd were soo nice and helpful went out of their way to make stay enjoyable. Loved Molly! Enjoyed sitting in backyard and relaxing

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reamstown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Wanted to stay on battlefield. This is simple B&B. Just what we wanted. Please don't complain about drive to town. Gettysburg is huge, you can't walk everywhere. Don't complain about not calling ahead, be prepared. Don't write bad reviews because you were not prepared. We had to check in late. I emailed ahead of time they replied back with plenty of time to let us know what to do with detailed instructions. Inn keepers were great help with any questions. Don't complain about no television, you are at Gettysburg for goodness sake you don't have time for TV! We loved to backyard and the view, even saw a hawk up close. Great food and great battlefield guide giving a Saturday night talk. Even had breakfast with another guide(Ralph Siegel) the next morning and he was great also. Look forward to staying there again this summer/fall again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

After looking forward to actually staying on the Battlefield of Gettysburg, I was sorely disappointed by the "reception" that we didn't receive. Due to some set backs that couldn't be avoided we had to arrive after 5PM. Of course we saw this in their directions and info that was sent to us ahead of time, but due to traffic and not being familiar with the area we weren't able to make a call until after 5 to let them know that we would be late. There was no answer so we left a message, no call back. After 30 minutes we tried again, no answer, left another message and again no return call. I finally called to PLEAD that they would give us a call just to let us know if we still had a room. Again, no return call. We went anyway and there was a key and message taped to the door so we entered. The room was smaller than it looked in the advertisement. There was only one bed, one small wooden chair, and none of the extras that are usually found in B&Bs.. My friend and I, two old ladies who travel all the time need at least 2 beds, if not 2 rooms. But due to never being able to talk to the Innkeepers/owners at all, because of, "being busy, heavy call volume", and several other excuses you are asked to make you reservation on line so I was unable to make our needs clear. So once again I called, no answer, "Please call me back and at least tell me where to get a roll away bed, I'll set it up myself." The ad did say that the Robert E. Lee Suite could have a roll away bed placed in it. Again, no call back. At last I took a blanket and pillow from the closet and with all my clothes on, slept on the very small couch in the commons room.
The next morning when I mentioned this to her she spat out, "well if I had know, I could have made arrangements, and we had errands to run and when we returned we didn't want to bother you. " Bother me? On a half couch "sleeping" in the common room! It would bother me to "wake" me and give me a real bed? I don't think so.
If any of you have followed my revues you know that I normally write glowing revues about the places we stay. This happens because of using TripAdvisor to find great places to stay. This is a very unusual circumstance and I don't like to write negative things, but I don't want anyone else to have a big part of their trip ruined as we did with this place

Room Tip: Make sure that you actually talk to them before you make your final arrangements.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Doubleday Inn? Share your experiences!