“Battlefield b&b” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Doubleday Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Doubleday Inn
104 Doubleday Ave. (Oak Ridge), Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #13 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
South Carrollton, Ky
“Battlefield b&b”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

One doesn't get much closer to sleeping on the battlefield than being at this fine home. After reading about this inn, knew we had to stay here. Definitely lived up to its reputation. The home is lovely, windows looking over the battlefield, bedrooms very clean & comfy. The Robert E Lee room was great because of the library of books at one's disposal. Our host & hostess were awesome, very knowledgable about the history of the area, and breakfast was delicious. Enjoyed the history about the wall surrounding the present-day house, made of stacked rocks, where the yankees & rebels surprised each other & where they battled to the finish. A stay here could only enhance the experience of Gettysburg.

Room Tip: If one enjoys reading, about Civil War history or otherwise, the Robert E Lee room is the place to b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The last weekend in September was a beautiful time to be in Gettysburg, PA. The Doubleday Inn is a wonderful place to relax, and it is located right on the Gettysburg battlefield. The owners are friendly, the whole house is very clean, and the breakfast is delicious. Our room, Cutler, had a huge bathroom and we could see the battlefield from our bedroom window. The Inn is only a few minutes from the new Visitor's Center and also very close to many great restaurants and shops in downtown Gettysburg. We'll be returning to The Doubleday Inn again.

Room Tip: Our room, Cutler, was on the second floor and we were close to a great outside deck that provided be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A beautiful spot right on the battlefield! Amazing views from every window and extremely quite despite being right on the auto tour route. The owners are incredibly friendly and helpful. Offering tidbits about the town, places to eat, things to do & see. They offer a historian one evening during the week. It was so great to be able to ask questions after spending the day viewing battlefields. The rooms are immaculate and spacious. Bathrooms are well appointed and immaculate. Breakfast is great and unique each day. The blueberry french toast was delicious! Molly, the beautiful golden retriever, is a smiling face in the house. Sitting outside enjoying the views while sipping some local wine we picked up was great! A truly magical, peaceful place that we will return to!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

This is the most beautiful scenic B&B. The history alone with the location on the Battlefield gave me an awe inspiring respect for our Civil War History. Looking out of our window and viewing the Battlefield was breathtaking...relaxing with a coffee and walking around the B&B grounds and then out into the National Park was immense ...Our breakfast was a Caramelized French Toast with fresh fruit and bacon, orange juice and coffee. The House dog was a Golden Retriever whos name is Molly...I admit I did share my bacon with her...

• Stayed September 2012
St. Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Lovely inn, perfect location for battlefield visit, excellent breakfast. I visited last about 10 years ago. Let me preface the story by saying I am very skeptical about paranormal activity.

My son and I were given the attic room, which seemed perfect for a mother and son (two beds, opposite side of the long space). We are both readers, so he could read even after I gave up and turned off the light. Here's what happened: before going to sleep, I reminded my son to turn off his bedside light when he was done reading, which he said he would do. In the middle of the night, I woke up to a light from his side of the room: I assumed that he had not remembered to turn off his light. But then I noticed that his light appeared to be a very strangely lit orb - a very unusual, concentrated, and round glow - and that it wasn't next to his bed exactly. So I decided it was from the moonlight, but if you've been to the Inn, you will know that it's in the woods and besides that, there's no way moonlight would shine into the room at such an angle or with that intensity and shape (round). I then decided I'd either have to scream and wake up everyone OR pretend I was imagining things - I chose the latter. As I turned over and put my head in the pillow, under the blanket, I felt a very definite and strong push on my back that lasted for about 10 seconds. OK, so in the morning first thing I did was check on my son - he wasn't yet awake, and his light was indeed turned off. At breakfast, I asked the innkeeper if there had been any strange occurrences in the inn..."Well, yes," he said. "People who stayed in your room, in fact, have described a light..."

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
portland oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Doubleday Inn for 2 nights in July and found it to be an excellent bed and breakfast. The hosts,Christine and Todd have create worked hard to create a unique, special place to stay that is lovely,warm and comfortable, right on the "July 1st battlefields". We stayed in the Iverson Room, which, along with the bathroom, had views in 3 directions, of those battlefields. The hosts were friendly, helpful and highly knowledgeable about Gettysburg's Civil War history. A bonus were the very tasty, nicely prepared breakfasts in the lovely dining room. Just a wonderful place. We shall return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Iverson Room, relatively large, with lots of natural light, views of the battlefiel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I took my nephew to Gettysburg for an end-of-summer trip and we stayed at this Bed & Breakfast because of its location on the Battlefield. The innkeepers, Todd and Christine, were very welcoming and able to handle any tourist-type questions with ease. At check-in, they provide a map to the city with specific directions, a driving tour CD of the battlefield and refreshments. The best part of the stay was the Battlefield Tour Guide who came in Saturday night to answer questions guests have about the battle or the area.

Gettysburg itself was a comfortable walking distance for us, but if you're not a walker or in decent shape you might find the mile walk too long. However, finding places to park in downtown Gettysburg isn't always easy.

Breakfast was delicious with fresh fruit served every morning, and the room cozy and clean. The bed was quite comfortable--almost too comfortable. Getting up early for our guided tour was quite hard!

I highly recommend this inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Doubleday Inn? Share your experiences!