“Adequate place to stay for an night or two (dog friendly!)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baymont Inn & Suites Gettysburg

Save Saved
You added Baymont Inn & Suites Gettysburg to your Saves list
Baymont Inn & Suites Gettysburg
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   871 York Rd., Gettysburg, PA 17325 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3, Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Downingtown
“Adequate place to stay for an night or two (dog friendly!)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I like to say that this is an Comfort Inn which is pretty much average accommodations. We stayed with our dog also over at the Super 8 which is probably a notch above, but pretty much the same type of chain type accommodations. There are better stays in Gettysburg, but they are dog friendly so we are limited b/c of this. The location is a short drive from town and close to US 15 and some budget shopping (Walmart for eg.). The place seems fairly clean, no bugs i.e. but our room had some musty? Odor but we always bring a Febreze spray and the ventilation we always put on 'constant', so within 10 minutes !viola! the smell is gone. Nice modestly large screen 42"? TV. The breakfast offering is standard or meh, has the waffles you can make, scrambled eggs were watery, good yogurt, muffins and juices (coffee was bland). Staff is average not rude, but not overly friendly. We asked for a late checkout @12 noon w/no problem. Recommended only if you have a pooch (charge is $20 per, Super 8 is $10 and it's next door same area). A 2-2.5 star hotel max.

Room Tip: Dog friendly, one or two nights max.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

As a Choice Privileges member, my wife and I try to stay at Choice properties no matter where we go. Well, this was our second stay at this particular property and will certainly be our last. The last time we stayed here, we thought it was pretty average and left a lot to be desired - but, this time was just too awful to give them yet another chance. Here are the issues we've experienced: During our first stay, there was a maintenance company there for several days replacing carpeting and such in one of the rooms which was right by a side exit door. There was constantly a mess in the hallway between their equipment sitting around, their workers standing around, and the dirt/debris from their work. This time, that side exit door didn't lock (it didn't require your room card to be swiped) and seemed to have some kind of small electrical box just dangling on the inside of the door. Way to not make your customers feel safe and secure when they have rooms near that door. The staff hovers around the side exit door smoking cigarettes so that entire hallway always reeks like stale cigarette smoke (which says a lot coming from a smoker). On this visit, the front desk staff staff was rude and made me feel as though I was bothering him or impeding on his "private time" just to get checked-in. He told me that the room that I booked online - which was a handicapped accessible room - was no longer available due to "plumbing problems" so he had to switch us to a room with two queen beds vs. one king bed. He never even asked if there was anyone handicapped in our party! Holy cow! While our room looked and smelled clean upon first opening the door, that quickly faded away once we walked into the room and stepped in a big sticky spot on the carpeting, the bathroom light was very, very dim and took ages to get "warmed up" enough to even be able to see inside of the shower, there was mold to be found in almost every corner of the bathroom walls/ceilings, we were lucky if the toilet successfully flushed down toilet paper 50% of the time and the bathroom "fan" (if you want to call it that) which automatically came on along with the light had no plate around it so you could look right up into the ceiling where gigantic dirt and dust balls were just waiting to fall out. That was just creepy in and of itself. Last but not least, ceilings and walls must be pretty darn thin because it sounded like elephants were surrounding us during our whole stay and we really LOVED the constant machine gun sound of the janitorial cart that the cleaning crew pushed up and down the hallways at the crack of dawn! Did we complain to the front desk about any of this stuff? Nope, why bother? Not only was the front desk staff terrible, but we'll certainly never be staying here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Troy, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed in a room with our family of 5 in room 243. I was concerned because we booked this hotel before seeing the reviews mentioning bed bugs. I did revise my reservation to say that we would be checking for that beforehand and there was no evidence of bed bugs in our room. We did see two stink bugs, but that is common in this area and difficult to completely eliminate.

Our room was comfortable and clean. I liked the decor - dark red, rich brown furniture, plush chairs, wall mount flat screen TV. It also had a large refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot and blow dryer. The only problem with the room was a noisy refrigerator that made a clicking sound all the time, but we kept the air conditioner on and that white noise drowned out the sound. The sink was not in the bathroom, which was nice for putting on makeup while someone else could be showering. However, it made the bathroom really small so there wasn't much room for changing in private.

Although most of the exterior doors opened with your room key card, the door by our room was broken, so anyone could have entered/exited through here. It was not a concern for us, but I could see where it might be for another guest.

There is an exercise room, an indoor pool and a hot tub. The kids took advantage of the pool - it had WAY too much chlorine (could smell it from anywhere in the hotel), but the kids enjoyed it.

When we asked for additional towels, the staff quickly responded. The breakfast was kept well stocked with items like waffles, sausage, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, yogurt, pastries and cereals. The seating area was too small for the amount of people staying at the hotel so we waited until close to the end of breakfast and found seating then.

The hotel is not right in the town of Gettysburg, but is only a 5 minute drive to the town center.

I would have stayed somewhere else if the hotels hadn't been filled by the time we booked, but we found the stay adequate for our needs.

Room Tip: quiet on the back side of top floor - rooms 230 and up
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Clatskanie OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Because of the apple festival the rates of the rooms were high. It was not our first choice but chose it for the name. It was OK, your typical Comfort Inn. The breakfast was outstanding with sausage and eggs for hot items as well as all the typical buffet items. The breakfast room is in the lobby of the hotel. We spent time visiting Gettysburg and the apple festival so was not in the room that much. The new lady at the desk was not much help with the apple festival driving direction, etc. and the bus schedule to Gettysburg Information Center which I think the staff should know this information as it would be a typical question.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My daughter's class stayed here for one night on a field trip. Many kids woke up with bites and rashes the next morning. One student found a bug and the Science teacher chaperoning the trip confirmed it was a bed bug! My daughter's room didn't appear to have bed bugs, but it had several large beetles (alive and dead) and she said their room was dark, musty and it had a moldy shower. One of the beetles was crawling up the wall in the morning! It was the size of a quarter!

When the class returned from the trip, we were given bags to put all their clothing and suitcases in. Had to wash everything in hot water and dry on hot for 2 hrs!

Contacted Choice Hotels, who referred my complaint to the manager of the hotel. I have received NO RESPONSE!! Called the Health Dept and was told they have no jurisdiction over bed bugs since they don't spread disease!!

• Stayed September 2013
East Liverpool, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

When planning a trip to Gettysburg, we weren't completely sure of the dates, so we didn't get a hotel booked until the week before. I called to talk to someone myself, because I want to know for sure about amenities that are listed on a site. And I'm a big fan of free breakfasts with my stay!
So when I called this hotel, the woman who answered the phone was very pleasant, she answered all the questions I had, and made me fee welcome even though I hadn't decided to stay there.
When we finally did book a room, we chose this place, and I was definitely pleased!
Now, it looked a little shady, to me, on the outside. But the moment I walked through the doors I felt comfortable.
Everyone we came in contact with was nice and helpful. We were able to check in even though we were early, and the room was lovely!
Throughout the multi-day stay, we never encountered any negative issues. The breakfast was good, the bed comfy.
Every time we left, or came in, the building we were greeted in a friendly manner. When we checked out, I was sad to leave, because they really made my stay pleasant.
I would definitely look into this place again when I plan my next trip back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bloomfield, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Air conditioner temperature setting could not be changed, so the room was not cool enough. None of the buttons did anything. Also, the fan cycled on and off with the compressor, instead of running constantly, disturbing our sleep every time it started or stopped. In fact, there was a button on the air conditioner that said "continuous fan", but that button didn't do anything either.

Front desk personnel were unfriendly.

Breakfast was OK, but not as good as most Comfort Inns. And they were out of orange juice, of all things.

The gardens on the outside of the building were outstanding - a good feature.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Gettysburg? Share your experiences!