“Awesome location, hosts, breakfast and inn” 5 of 5 stars

Brafferton Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   44 York Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #8 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
poconos PA
“Awesome location, hosts, breakfast and inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

The Brafferton was a great historic gem! The owners are great businees people, they were friendly and knowledgeable without being bothersome. The breakfast is indescribable. We have stayed with quite a few B&B's and the choices for breakfast along with the quality are top notch. Linens. and location were great! The Battle room had alot of light from the spotlights on the inns sign, if you need darkness to sleep choose a room at the back of the inn. This place exceeds the expectations of a B&B well. Happy stays!

Stayed July 2008

327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

I enjoyed our stay at the Brafferton Inn very much. It is one of the oldest buildings in Gettysburg with an interesting history. It sits in the center of the town and is minutes away from all of the points of interest. The Inn is charming, very clean, comfortable and as mentioned above conveniently located in relation to all of the attractions. The Hodges Family were hospitable inn keepers, providing information about the area, refreshments during the day and a hearty and delicious breakfast in the lovely breakfast room each morning. I would definately stay there again.

Stayed June 2008
Philadelphia Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

From the moment we arrived we knew this was going to be an excellent experience, and we were not disappointed. After several hours of driving in bad weather, we finally arrived at the Inn and were warmly welcomed by Joan and Brian. Even though they were very busy with multiple guests arriving late and nearly at the same time because of poor weather and traffic, they were able to make all of us feel welcomed and comforted from the moment we walked in the door. Breakfast each morning is served in a dining room where each couple or group can have their own table, and there are several staggered seatings, and it made for a very enjoyable and convenient way to eat a delicious breakfast. We stayed in the Loft Suite, which was private, rustic, cozy, quite spacious, and absolutely wonderful. My hubby snores (especially after a few beers), so it was great to have a separate room just across the hall with a daybed - we were both able to get some great sleep! The garden out back is a wonderful spot to have an early cup of coffee, relax in between outings, catch up on some reading, or simply sit and enjoy the flowers. The Brafferton Inn is located within a very short walk to good restaurants, bars, shops, etc., in addition to all of the in-town historical sites. While parking is tight in town, between the spaces out back and the nearby parking garage we had no problems finding either free or very inexpensive parking. Don't be shy asking the hosts in advance of your stay for hints about what to do and see in the area. I did quite a bit of online research prior to our stay, and once we started interacting with the hosts I quickly realized they were able to give me much better advice in a much shorter period of time. We stayed for 2 nights, but could have easily stayed for several more days and still not have run out of interesting things to do. I highly recommend staying at the Brafferton Inn!

• Liked — Location, hosts, our room!
  • Disliked — It was all fantastic!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Deer Park, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

I made a solo overnight trip (Feb. 15) to one of my favorite places-Gettysburg. I have stayed at four other historic B&B's in Gettysburg and wanted to try the Brafferton Inn. I called the property in the morning as I was driving up there (coming from Leesburg, VA) and they happened to have a few rooms still available so I booked the Battle Room. Upon arrival to check in the owner directs you to parallel park in front of the B&B in a metered parking space (you don't have to pay) that is exclusively for Brafferton's guest check in. It was kind of hairy trying to back into a parallel parking spot on busy York St. but managed to do it. The owner gave me a warm welcome and showed me around the house while also giving me some history on the house. The parlor and dining areas were very nice especially the murals painted in the dining room. Up the stairs is the Battle Room which faces the front of the Inn on York St. in the original section of the house. The room is lovely and spacious with a queen bed and antique furniture. This room had two large windows, a shower stall bathroom, beautiful wood floor and a non-working fireplace with a spent bullet from the July 1863 battle lodged into the fireplace just below the mantle shelf on the right side. Since the room faced busy York St., you will hear traffic noise even into the night so bring ear plugs if this would be a problem or book a room that does not face street side. No tv or telephone in the room or in the common areas which is fine by me. There is plenty of reading material in the parlor on Civil War history and Gettysburg related subjects along with the daily newspaper. Also baked treats with coffee, hot tea or hot chocolate is available in the afternoon into the evening for guests. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and plenty of it. This Inn delivered in every way the historic atmosphere I look for when I come to Gettysburg. The location is great for walking to shops, restaurants, churches and some town museums. Now for the only negative...the parking. Brafferton Inn does not have parking for guests other than the convenient space out front to use for check-in and unloading your luggage. The options are to park in metered parking in back of the Inn which is costly (put 2.00 in meter,got 1hr and 45min.) during paying hours of 8am - 8pm. So after 8pm you can park there for free overnight but you better have your car moved out by 8am or it will be towed. There is a parking garage also behind the Inn that is 75 cents an hour. The owners advise you the cheapest way to park is the metered spaces at night after 8pm and by 8am move the car to the parking garage. I found this inconvenient having to watch the time and park accordingly to incur the least amount of parking charges. So at 7:50am I went out to move my car to the garage then came back in for the 8:30 seating for breakfast. I did not see others who posted reviews comment on this, I guess it did not bother them but I found it inconvenient especially if you are going to stay a number of consecutive nights. I like having the convenience of private parking where I am staying and not having to pay extra money for parking in addition to the room charges and moving my car back and forth. So before you dis my review as the Brafferton seems to have alot of fans as the other reviews show, I did enjoy everything else about the Brafferton and won't tell you not to stay here but I would probably stay at one of the other historic B&B's that are just as nice as the Brafferton where I can conveniently park and not have to concern myself about moving my car as there are times I come to Gettysburg and leave my car parked for a couple of days just exploring the town on foot. Overall I am glad that I did experience the Brafferton for one night as it is a part of Gettysburg's history.

• Liked — The historic atmosphere
  • Disliked — The parking situation
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
InnkeepersGettysburg, Owner at Brafferton Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2008
Thank you for the lovely review. We just wanted to clarify the parking situation here in downtown Gettysburg, and at our Inn.
Since we are a very large Inn, 18 bedrooms, right in the center of town, there are some advantages and disadvanges of staying in town.
The advantages of staying with us would be both historical in nature and convenience. The house was built in 1786, and is the oldest continual residence here in Gettysburg. The house is filled with antiques and artwork. For convenience, you can walk right our front door and you are a very short walk from restaurants, art galleries, civil war shops, antique shops, the National Cemetary, the Visitors Center, ghost tours, etc.
The disadvantage is we do not have 18 private parking spots for our guests. Streets are metered all over downtown Gettysburg, but for overnight parking, there are meters behin the Inn that are free from 8pm-8am. If you do not want to bother with quarters, a four story public parking garage is also located directly behind the Inn. Ample parking is always available. Cars are never towed, but you may be ticketed if your meter is expired.
We explain both these options at check-in, as well as a posting on our website, and noted on confirmation letters we send out after booking. We also keep our prices below most of our competitors in the area to combat any parking fees that may occur. We also give generous discounts to all our repeat guests. Hope this clarifys things a little.

Thanks so Much,

The Hodges Family
The Brafferton Inn
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

The Brafferton Inn is the third B&B I've stayed in in Gettysburg and by far is the nicest. The Hodges are a warm inviting family eager to make your stay a memorable one. I felt very comfortable and welcome at the Brafferton and would love to return.

I have Quaker family connections to the Gettysburg area dating from the 1820's and I was given a pamphlet, that I only saw at the Brafferton, which described a local woman's tour about the Underground Railroad in the Gettysburg area.

I contacted her and it turns out her tour is partially based on my families lives, farms and involment in the Underground Railroad in Adams Co. I cannot say enough about finding her!!!

Two thumbs way up!!

Bob Cooke
Simi Valley, Ca.

Stayed October 2007
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

The Brafferton owners greet each and every guest with a warm and hearty welcome. With each push of the handle on the front door you are met with a geniune smile from one of the owners or you may pass by another guest and share with them what you have seen that day or where you're having dinner that evening. Of course the owners are always most helpful with giving suggestions on places to see or shops to visit, just whatever you're plans are they will make the reservations or calls for you.
It's wonderful to be in the sitting room, sharing in conversation with others or enjoying a cup of tea while reading the paper. Every afternoon we look forward to those delicious cookies, in addition to the breakfast which is truly a treat, the meal is home-made. Absolutely delicious.
At the end of your stay you will have good memories of the Brafferton and it is all credited to the care that each of owners have put into the Inn. We look forward to our next visit in the near future.

• Liked — well kept, neat and very clean. The owners are wonderful people.
  • Disliked — We have no negative report on the bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

Do yourself a favor a step back into time at the Brafferton Inn. The hospitality enjoyed by my wife and I was second only to the fact that the B&B dates back to the civil war (Cordi House).

Whether you are a civil war buff, history enthusiast, or simply looking for a cozy get away, you will be very pleased staying at the Brafferton.

Our compliments to the Inn keepers.

• Liked — Hospitality, accomodations, and locaiton
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Brafferton Inn? Share your experiences!