“Truely Something Special..........!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Hamilton
“Truely Something Special..........!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Battlefield Bed and Breakfast is located behind and in the shadows of Big and Little Roundtop(s) yet close enough to Gettysburg town,iconic battlefields, historic monuments and buildings to easily experience all this revered and magical place has to offer.Yet, this Bed and Breakfast quietly weaves its own tapestry of serenity,history,charm and hospitality.... The rooms,especially in the original,old part of the house, are thoughtfully and graciously appointed and full of rustic Civil War era touches.You really feel you've stepped back a century or more and it really adds to the Gettysburg experience.The superb breakfasts with the CW re-enactors and historians are beyond magical.... Thank you Florence and all who make this place so special and welcoming - we hope this wonderful place will be available to us for many years to come!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

We had traveled to the B &B for my daughters wedding and ended up stranded due to the blizzard of 2009. To spite the inability of the staff to get to work, Florence single handedly made out stay incredible. When the local restaurant where we were to have the wedding dinner canceled due to the weather, Florence stepped up and made us a wonder dinner complete with a decorated wedding cake for the newlyweds. The minister even walked to the B & B to perform the nuptials.The weekend was incredibly joyous and will always be remembered fondly. Never hesitate to stay with Florence and her staff, I for one know they would never disappoint you.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Melrose, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

Stayed in General Merritt's Suite for 2 nights. The rooms were awsome in the 200 year old part of the house. Enjoyed reading by the fire as it rained the two days we were there. The grounds were beautiul and really enjoyed the 200 yo bank barn. Miss Florence and her staff were freindly and helpful and made us feel at home. The breakfasts we had were DELICIOUS!! and the storytelling before breakfast was very interesting. We are looking forward to returning again soon. Have been in several B&B's in Gettysburg that were lovely, but this is #1 on our list. We will stay here from now on. Even were able to bring our little dog with us and he loved it to! Can't say enough about this B&B, you will love it. Darrell and Maureen Brown

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

We chose to stay at the Battlefield Bed and Breakfast because we were traveling with our 4-year old granddaughter and I read on their website that children were welcome. We definitely made the right choice for all of us. Our room was spacious and comfortable. Our granddaughter loved running on the large open spaces and seeing the animals. There is a large common room full of Civil War artifacts and antiques to look at, and a game room with Civil War era clothing for the guests to try on. My absolute favorite attraction at this B & B was the hour long history presentation each morning. We stayed for 4 nights, and each day I attended the presentation I was totally captivated. Following the presentation, breakfast was served in the beautiful diningroom. The food was superb and filling, and we looked forward to a new entree every day. Homemade cookies and lemonade is served each evening, and coffee, tea, and hot chocolate is always available. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. They will go out of their way to meet your needs and make your stay the best possible experience. I think we all agreed we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Westminster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I enjoyed the piano player so much in the morning! What a great way to start the day.

All the kids staying there were very well behaved. It was the large Great Dane that was allowed into the dining room, blocking the pathway as well as slobbering on my shirt as I walked by it, was my only complaint. There's a huge difference between allowing a small dog and a huge dog into the dining room while everyone was eating. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I've had dogs, but they were never allowed in the dining room. It was a warm day so perhaps large dogs and masters should eat on the patio?

When I booked my reservation many months in advance, per their website's suggestion, I asked if any dogs were staying there during my stay because I didn't want to share my eating space with it. They said no, so I guess this family booked at the last minute.

On the plus side, great room, very clean. Wonderful hosts. Great food, great treats. I've told my brother and wife who live in VA that this is a dog friendly B and B so they will plan a visit there soon since they love taking their hunting dog everywhere. To each his own, just not for me.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

I have stayed here 5-6 times before, usually 3-4 days at a time.

Obviously, I would not repeat so much if I did not like it.

The location is great, right on the south end of the battlefield. Only 3 miles from town, yet so comfortable, quiet and peaceful.

One of the best features is the morning history program. One hour each morning of a fascinating program about some aspect of the battle, the war, life in GB etc. It really ads to your trip, and you don't have to even leave. Then, a family style hot and hearty breakfast, and plenty of it.

Even though a B and B, the owner does not live there, so it more of an Inn in a farmhouse. It is old, so if you need 2009 spit and polish forget it. I see some have criticized the hot water, or lack of. I once had an issue, but I think they have solved any problems, and the water was hot, and plentiful. I have seen upgrades though the years to the bathrooms.

They now have satellite TV in each room, which I never used, and also Wi Fi, which, yes, I used. (dinner reservations, links to things to do, keep up with email). I commend them on adding WiFi, no more dial-up!

Above all, Florence and her staff are a treat. Cheerful, helpful, they go out of your way to make you comfortable.

I'll be back, it's almost like home!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Carroll County, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I travel a lot, and usually don't get excited about where I stay. This place was a pleasant surprise. Great food, history, and ghost stories just can't be beat. I liked visiting the animals too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!