“Very historical and nice but too pet friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ike and Mamie event
Ranked #10 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Westminster
“Very historical and nice but too pet friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I enjoyed the piano player so much in the morning! What a great way to start the day.

All the kids staying there were very well behaved. It was the large Great Dane that was allowed into the dining room, blocking the pathway as well as slobbering on my shirt as I walked by it, was my only complaint. There's a huge difference between allowing a small dog and a huge dog into the dining room while everyone was eating. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I've had dogs, but they were never allowed in the dining room. It was a warm day so perhaps large dogs and masters should eat on the patio?

When I booked my reservation many months in advance, per their website's suggestion, I asked if any dogs were staying there during my stay because I didn't want to share my eating space with it. They said no, so I guess this family booked at the last minute.

On the plus side, great room, very clean. Wonderful hosts. Great food, great treats. I've told my brother and wife who live in VA that this is a dog friendly B and B so they will plan a visit there soon since they love taking their hunting dog everywhere. To each his own, just not for me.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

I have stayed here 5-6 times before, usually 3-4 days at a time.

Obviously, I would not repeat so much if I did not like it.

The location is great, right on the south end of the battlefield. Only 3 miles from town, yet so comfortable, quiet and peaceful.

One of the best features is the morning history program. One hour each morning of a fascinating program about some aspect of the battle, the war, life in GB etc. It really ads to your trip, and you don't have to even leave. Then, a family style hot and hearty breakfast, and plenty of it.

Even though a B and B, the owner does not live there, so it more of an Inn in a farmhouse. It is old, so if you need 2009 spit and polish forget it. I see some have criticized the hot water, or lack of. I once had an issue, but I think they have solved any problems, and the water was hot, and plentiful. I have seen upgrades though the years to the bathrooms.

They now have satellite TV in each room, which I never used, and also Wi Fi, which, yes, I used. (dinner reservations, links to things to do, keep up with email). I commend them on adding WiFi, no more dial-up!

Above all, Florence and her staff are a treat. Cheerful, helpful, they go out of your way to make you comfortable.

I'll be back, it's almost like home!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Carroll County, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I travel a lot, and usually don't get excited about where I stay. This place was a pleasant surprise. Great food, history, and ghost stories just can't be beat. I liked visiting the animals too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Berkeley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

My sister, mom and I booked a room here last minute. We stayed in the texas room.
Very spacious! The beds were comfy and the breakfast was faboulous!
Dont miss out on the informative morning talks. We were woken up around 3am to a single gunshot that sounded like a musket. Ghost perhaps?
Great place ........we want to go back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Toledo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

My family found out about Battlefield Bed & Breakfast through one of my husband John’s co-workers who had just come back from a family vacation near Harrisburg, PA. We wanted something different for a vacation before school started. Gettysburg, PA didn’t seem too far a drive from Toledo, OH and of course there’s the history.

Florence and her staff were very thoughtful and had a futon ready for our children in our room before we checked in. Christopher and Emily had a great time roaming around the battlefield reading about the different battles. They also loved the ghost stories that Florence told and John and I enjoyed the morning civil war programs before the scrumptious breakfasts.

There was always something to do in Gettysburg and the staff was helpful in letting us know where to go, things to do, etc. This B&B is wonderfully close to interesting shopping, the teddy bear place, and inexpensive restaurants. The kids loved the farm kittens, the “petting” zoo and exploring the B&B grounds and lily pond. Be sure to enjoy the afternoon lemonade and cookies too.

John and Mary Anne from Toledo, OH

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
St. Inigoes, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

The Battlefield B&B is the perfect place to stay while visiting Gettysburg. The grounds are beautiful and their history compelling. Before we went to sleep for our one-night stay, we had the pleasure of taking a guided ghost tour of Gettysburg with the captivating Miss Betty. Although we could only stay for one night, we thoroughly enjoyed the morning presentation by a local historian and the fantastic breakfast. Rumor has it that the B&B is haunted and, although we stayed in what we were told was the most haunted room at the Inn, we neither saw nor heard any spirits that evening.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Battlefield Bed and Breakfast. It was very quiet and peaceful. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The daily history talks before breakfast were very interesting and entertaining. The breakfast was delicous. We traveled with friends and enjoyed having rooms in a private section of the house. While, I'd probably pick a new inn to try out on my next visit, I do recommend a stay at this B & B.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!