“Pleased in PA” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Viriginia
“Pleased in PA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

This was my first time staying overnight in Gettysburg, as before I had come on only day trips. The first night I stayed at a downtown hotel right on Steinwher Ave. so I could walk to all the main attractions which turned out to be a good move. The afternoon of my first day I did the museum, Electric map and some shopping. I ate dinner the first night (Make reservations way ahead of time) at the Dobbin House which was fairly nice, although not spectacular. Did the guided auto tour in the morning (get there at 8 a.m. to sign up or forget it) which was very insightful and then ate lunch at the Farnsworth Inn which was mediocre at best. Having hit the highlights in town, I was then ready to head over to Battlefield B&B Inn for the more relaxing part of the visit. Located at the edge of the battlefield, it is somewhat remote. Dinner is not served here, so a trip out must be made. I inquired about dining locations upon arriving and Florence recommended Altland House in Abbottstown PA which was on Rte 30 about 20 minutes away. She was able to get a reservation and boy was I in for a treat! It is absolutely indisputably fabulous and well worth the drive from ANYWHERE to eat here. Fine dining at its best. Gourmet entrees that not only looked pretty, but tasted fabulous. Upon returning I had some of the provided homemade cookies and tea and sat by the roaring fireplace at the Inn in a rocking chair. In the morning was a fantastic personal history story by a man whose great great grandfather had fought in the war. Wonderfully done, with a chance at the end to shoot his rifle, which I accepted! Then I was in for one of the finest breakfasts ever in the private Lincoln dining room (away form the other guests) with a nice fire and wonderful food. The few downfalls of the property to me are, the bathrooms (need to be upgraded and have thicker newer towels and offer individual bath products and real toilet paper rather than tissue paper and have Kleenex) and the selection of amenities needs to be upgraded, there is a very poor selection of games, books, videos, puzzles etc. for entertaining oneself. And although they set on many acres, most of it is impassable, so there's nowhere to take a walk beyond the house. The bedrooms are nice and the staff is wonderful, so overall, a good experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2004

We loved this gorgeous Bed and Breakfast. Our room was immaculate. We had an adjoining room for our 2 daughters, which was perfect for them. The morning history lesson was fantastic, followed by a really delicious breakfast. We were there during the Fall, so the trees were just beautiful. It is so quiet and relaxing. Definately a place that we will return to again and again. The home baked cookies that are out at all times was just a delight.

Rome, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2004

The orginal building was built in 1809 with several recent additions. It is on the Gettysburg Battlefield and is a short drive from all the attractions.
The staff was friendly and the historical demonstrations each morning before breakfast were well done.
The two course breakfast was very good.
There are three comfortable public rooms that are great for reading or just relaxing.
The bedroom was clean, spacious and very comfortable. Each room had a private bath.
My wife and I have had several bad experiences with other B & B's so we were a little worried when we got a stay at this facility as a gift. However, there was no need for our concern.
I recommend Battlefield Bed and Breakfast without hesitation. Check out the web site ----------------------------------

pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2004

This is a very friendly place and has a great breakfast. The room I was in was nice but the bathroom could use some updating. The history presentation was interesting. This B&B is located just south of Gettysburg in the NHP. So you must drive into the town to eat, visit the battlefield, etc. The good side of this is that it is quiet and you don't have ghost story tour operators screaming BOO (this is really cheesy) at midnight outside your window. If you stay for the historical presentation 8am and breakfast 9am it is not easy to get to a tour or ranger presentation by 10am. In the summer the park is pretty busy by then and is large so it takes awhile to get to different areas on the battlefield. The hosts were accomadating though and about 7 of us had breakfast (not the full breakfast at 9am) before the historical presentation so we could get an early start on visiting the town.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2004

My friend told me about this place and I'm sure glad they did. The food was delicious and hearty, as were the staff! I've never heard of a Bed & Breakfast that did live history demonstrations before- it was really a treat. I felt like I got to relax in the country AND it was educational. Mom sure would be proud...

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

I have stayed twice at Battlefield Bed and Breakfast and each time felt that I was visiting a heavenly retreat from a long time ago. The spaciousness and graciousness allowed me to relax and be filled with a sense of history. The staff was always ready and willing to help and answer my questions. The breakfasts were delicious, abundant, and imaginative. I loved the ghost stories, the history demonstrations and costumes. My rooms were well appointed and immaculate. I would definitely recommend a stay to anyone visiting Gettysburg!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

EVERYONE should enjoy the decadent retreat that is Battlefield Bed & Breakfast. At least once or twice a year, I escape the hectic city life and hide away in this gorgeous inn. The breafasts are delicious and I'm addicted to the afternoon treats. (Why can't I come home to the smell of fresh baked cookies everyday at MY house?!) The family style breakfast lets me make new friends when I want to, while I reserve the right to sit in a small corner table when I need some privacy to read the paper or whisper to my boyfriend. The morning history presentations are entertaining and informative, when I can drag myself out of the world's COMFIEST beds. The grounds are lush for short walks and when I want a major walk, I just continue on the battlefield for miles and miles of trees, grass and cows, mixed in with a monument or two. On rainy/snowy days, there are 2 communal fireplaces to snuggle up next to with a book, plus several bedrooms have their own private fireplace. Ugh- it's just terrific. A home away from home. The staff really makes you feel like part of the family. I have to say, I don't get that at the Holiday Inn...

Been to Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!