“Excellent Stay - Newly Renovated - Helpful Staff” 5 of 5 stars

15% OFF W/PROMO CODE:TRIP
Ranked #15 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Cleveland, Ohio
1,169 helpful votes 1,169 helpful votes
“Excellent Stay - Newly Renovated - Helpful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here a week as part of a Road Scholar group from March 24th to the 29th that spent the week studying and exploring sites of the Civil War. Hotel was outstanding. Hotel was just completing a massive upgrade and updating. Very elegant. The outside is very historic (established in 1797), but the inside was brand new. They are now a part of The Historic Hotels of America chain (previously they had been part of Best Western).

My room was spacious, very attractive, and bed was super-comfy, and I particularly appreciated the new heating and air-conditioning system (it snowed 2 inches one day we were here and then turned warm). Room had a brand-new flat screen TV with a great selection. Everything was perfect. Housekeeping was great; room was spotless, even provided extra fancy shampoo! Front desk staff was very nice, friendly and accommodating (allowed a late check-out). Staff was very helpful as to suggestions, directions, etc. Several of the staff inquired as to whether I was happy with the room and could they do anything else to be of service. WOW!

Location cannot be surpassed; right downtown on the square (circle), overlooking the Willis House where Lincoln stayed the night before giving the Gettysburg address. Lots of shops and places to eat nearby, but I mostly ate right there at the Hotel (food was exceptional).

Everyone in our group thought that this was a great place. I particularly appreciated the hi-tech screen adjacent to the lobby that provided driving directions, weather, etc. There was also a PC / business center for those who elected not to bring their own devices. Besides the lobby, the restaurant and bar is attached (which was nice when it was snowing).

While staying here, check out the fancy ballroom and the dining area within the vault (at one time, this place was a bank). Stunning and historic.

Since it is right in town, parking is in a garage right behind the hotel. Staff did an excellent job or explaining how it worked. It was not an issue. Our parking was included, but otherwise costs about $8 a day. Garage was clean and well-lighted.

I highly recommend this place. Frankly, I'm surprised by some of the negative comments on Trip Advisor because our entire group (20 individuals) all thought this was an excellent place, clean, modern and great service. It appears that they have just recently completed an upgrade of the facilities, hired a new chef (food was great) and made other changes to make this a better destination. I will definitely plan to stay here again when I return to Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from cars around the circle. Rooms in front have an outstanding view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
WHGGuestService, Manager at Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Cynthia, it was an absolute pleasure to read this thorough review of your week-long stay with us at the Gettysburg Hotel. It’s especially meaningful to get such a positive endorsement and glowing remarks from a seasoned traveler and Trip Advisor Top Contributor.

I’m thrilled that you and your group were pleased with our accommodations and the service you received. Our associates will be beaming from ear to ear when I read this review and acknowledge their hard work at our next staff meeting. Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

I do hope you’ll be able to visit us again soon.

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

At the center of town, close to shops and restaurants; short drive to visitors center/cemetary and battlefield locations. Traveled with adults and children and all were satisfied. The room is adequate - suite with pull out and separate bedroom; two flatscreeen TVs. Roomy enough. You cannot beat the value for a hotel and not a motel in Gettysburg. Rooms on Carlisle Road side are noisy at night - bar across the street and railroad tracks make for late night and early morning traffic noise. Recommend room on inside or facing Lincoln Square. Parking is easy and convenient right behind the hotel in a covered garage. Pool is only outdoor so it wasn't open during our stay. My only complaint (other than outdoor noise coming in) was that the cleaning wasn't as thorough as I would expect - garbage in our room on arrival and lack of attention to detail by cleaning staff. We did not eat at the restaurant. All in all, I would go back again and would recommend The Gettysburg Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from outside facing rooms on Carlisle Road side of the building (rear).
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I truly appreciate the honest and objective constructive feedback of Trip Advisor. Thank you for both your positive compliments and also letting us know where we can do better. With feedback like yours we’re able to consistently improve. I hope that you do have an opportunity to return for another say with us so we can earn that extra fifth circle on that review. Safe travels!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We live in Philadelphia and visit Gettysburg every year for our anniversary. We were very excited to stay at the Gettysburg Hotel this year. We were attracted to its rich history and beauty. Check-in was to be at 4pm so we arrived shortly after 4 on March 28th. We were told our room wasn't ready and the woman behind the front desk had no idea when it would be (she was very non nonchalant about it). We decided to browse the antique store located near the hotel. We returned to the hotel 20 mins later and were told once again that the room still wasn't ready and the woman still didn't know when it would be. We were offered a brochure so we could take a "walking tour" while we waited (we declined--too chilly for a walking tour). We left the hotel yet again and returned 30 mins later. Room still wasn't ready. This time we decided to hang out in the hotel lobby with 2 other couples who were also waiting to check in (their check in was late as well). When we were finally able to check in, we were told we were upgraded to the King Exec Room (we originally booked a King Jr Room). While we certainly appreciated the upgrade, we did not appreciate missing our anniversary dinner reservations because of the late check-in (on the plus side-the room was beautiful). The next morning we discovered that the shower did not work. When we called down to the desk we were told someone would be there within the hour. 2 hours and 3 phone calls later someone finally showed up (the maid also offered to call the front desk for us. She said the hotel is aware there are issues with the shower). The man that came to fix the shower said that the handle was stripped. When he left the shower-head worked but the jet streams still did not. The whole experience was very frustrating. There seems to be a major lack of communication between staff members. We felt as if we did not matter to the employees. We expected to have a wonderful experience/stay at the hotel and were very disappointed. Unfortunately we won’t recommend this hotel to our friends & family who also visit Gettysburg yearly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m terribly disappointed that our opportunities to impress you were missed. I’ve taken all of your comments and feedback to our division managers and used your experience as a tool to improve our hotel.

I would truly like the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss your stay. Please contact me at the hotel at your earliest convince.

1-866-378-1797
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed one night, family of 4 (2 teenagers). Appreciated the pull out sofa. Room was a bit crowded, but absolutely loved everything else about this hotel. Especially the convenient location. Nice renovations, friendly staff. Parking was easy, there's a back entrance to the hotel from the parking area. When we return to Gettysburg, we'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Street views are nice but be careful if staying weekend nights as bartime can be noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing the Gettysburg Hotel. The variety of room types and suites we offer make our hotel a very convenient option for family travel and I’m so happy that your family was able to take advantage of our location and amenities.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful experience. Hotel was clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was in a centralized location and made it easy to walk to different places. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
Thanks for letting us know that your experience with us was a great one! We can’t wait to welcome you back to Gettysburg.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Perfect location in town. The hotel's restaurant was nice, not particularly for small children (we had a 1 yr old with us) but they did accommodate us & were happy to do so. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013
Shannon, thank you for your Trip Advisor review and posting the photo of our new bedding for other members to see. I also appreciate your comments related to One Lincoln, our new restaurant on Lincoln Square. Traveling with a toddler can present some unique challenges; so our team is always working to make the stay of any guests with a little one as easy and problem-free as possible. I hope you return and visit us again!

WEST MILFORD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked a package that included dinner, breakfast and a bottle of wine. My room was not ready at 6:00 in the evening when I arrived. I did not receive any information on my package upon check in & then I had to ask, at which point I was given food coupons for One Lincoln restaurant. The wine bottle arrived at my room at 8:30. The glasses weren't in any type of box or carrying device so I had to pack them amongst my stuff to keep them from getting broke the remainder of my trip. The front desk seemed quite overwhelmed.
We had a lovely room on the top floor in the corner with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub. It would have been a perfectly relaxing room had it not been for the traffic and bar noise all night long. The walls are so thin it sounded like the windows were open. It was a restless night to say the least. It's a shame; I had high hopes for the room. It was very clean and spacious, just terribly loud.
One Lincoln had a very good salmon dish I would recommend. The staff was disorganized; my salad arrived after my main course. The restaurant is nicely decorated & the food presentations are nice ... but ... instead of a person clearing each table, the staff pile all the dishes on a big tray in the middle of the room and I had to stare at dirty dishes my entire seating. I also noticed the food comes out, covered, and is left on another big tray until a waiter picks it up. My dinner sat for a good 5 minutes & several people lifted the cover to see what it was before my waiter got it to my table. It's in very poor taste if you ask me, especially since they try to put off a higher class restaurant. Skip breakfast; nothing special there.

Room Tip: Overlooking the square is quite noisy all night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your review and comments tremendously. Your observations that you’ve shared with us have in turn been shared with the managers in the appropriate departments that were mentioned in your review. Some of the things you pointed out are instant fixes for us – especially for the items in the restaurant. I want to assure you and the rest of the Trip Advisor Community that appropriate changes have been made to fix these problems.

Unfortunately, there are some items that we can’t change. Our great central location does come with that caveat related to the hustle and bustle on Lincoln Square. Luckily we have a wide variety of guest rooms in areas of the hotel that are more suitable for travelers that prefer a more serene atmosphere. I encourage all guests - Trip Advisor users or not - to reach out to our front desk when booking. They will work with you to provide a room location suited for your preference.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope you’re able to return at some point in the future and give us another opportunity to impress you.

Susan Perrothers,

Been to Gettysburg Hotel? Share your experiences!